Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went to feed at about 7:30 and found that my gate to my hog pen was basically hanging by a thread. My 1 year old boar is cut up pretty bad - he has a huge gaping cut on his right side and a long 8"-10" slice behind his right front shoulder. I bought some "Wonder Dust" wound powder and dusted the wounds. I also have some 3-way wound treatment for horses that I'm going to have my husband put on him as soon as he can get home. Other than the wounds he seems to be fine - He ate his food and drank water and then went to lay down. I'm trying to avoid calling a mobile vet if at all possible due to finances right now.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Also - Feed Store suggested that if wounds get infected that we would need to give him pencillin using 18 gauge needles.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
He should be OK. A cut in a more sensitive area such as the lower flank/gut area would concern me. Shoulder and rib side cuts from fighting are common and usually not very deep.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should clarify - the gaping hole on his side is closer to his right back leg - more like the stomach area. It looks more like skin, no organs are exposed, but that is for sure the wound that I'm worried about too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I don't know if you can see the wounds very good - the shoulder wound is basically where the white/touches the black and the other gut area wound is in the black - the purple is from the Wonder Dust that I was able to put on him this morning.

I couldn't get closer shots because I won't go in the pen without my husband that hog is very aggressive - real pushy and he knows that I'm scared of him.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I would go ahead and give him some penicillin just to get a jumpstart on any infection he may have gotten from the attack. It's not going to hurt him. I would put a hot wire outside of the pen about a foot high to stop the attacs, because he may be back.

Bobg

·
Registered
714 Posts
The boar should still be fine. He'll probably lay around for a few days, but he'll back on his feet in no time.

Sometimes, my dogs will really get after one of the boars and they will do some pretty major damage. Have had several slashed on the sides and behind the forelegs, much like another boar would do. One or two have had more injurious wounds in the flank and belly area, and while it looked iffy for them for awhile, every single one came around within 3 to 4 days. None of those wounds actually affected the organs or went through to the intestinal cavity though. You may have to carry food and water to him while he's recuperating, but he'll be back at the trough when he's good and ready.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,474 Posts
There is a consern that your domestic hogs could contract psudorabies from wild hogs. While psudorabies was wiped out in commercial/domestic pigs, the wild ones can and do carry it. It isn't like rabies, just the name sounds like it is.
Might want to get him tested, just to be sure you didn't pick it up and then have it spread thru your other hogs or worse yet, you sell some feeder pigs and spread the disease to another farm.

Hope he survives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts