Wild Blueberries

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Jun 15, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Cut a bunch of trees on the property,to let light in a couple years ago.Now I have a bunch of Lowbush Blueberries and they are loaded.They are just starting to ripen,now all I have to do is beat the Deer and Turkeys to them :D

Next will be Blackberries :p

big rockpile

2. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we have other property that has wild blueberries... maybe I oughta take a drive... I cant imagine them being called lowbush though...they are waist high and higher...

we missed them last year... manana

3. big rockpile

caroline you sure their not Huckleberries ? They are about that tall but have a big seed.The Blueberries are only knee high and have very small seeds.

Plus the Blueberries grow in big thick patches and Huckleberries are more scatered.

big rockpile

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

maybe they are... maybe they are waist high to me and knee high to my husband? I think that there was almost no seed. WE only got a taste or 2. They were about the third the size of commercial blueberries

I need to go take a drive over there. I thought I was going to get out there today because my son needs a ride to an auto body shop and there is one on that road but he has decided to go the other direction to a different town that has 2 body shops... :(

5. big rockpile

The thing about picking them around here I have to pick every 3 days just to keep ahead of the Deer and Turkey.Yesterday I jumped Turkeys out of there,and there was Deer droppings all over.But I do have Wheat and Clover planted close in there.

big rockpile