Wild at Heart

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ChickenFryChato, Jan 4, 2007.

1. ChickenFryChato

ChickenFryChato Lone Star State of Mind

Have any of you men (or women) read this book? It's called "Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul" by John Eldredge? It's a Christian book for men, real men, manly men, William Wallace sort of men.....such as myself of course. Folks, the book is awesome. It was refreshing to read a Christian book that says it's okay for us men to be wild, rambunctious, and dangerous. It says that we are programmed to be the hunters, to provide. It says that God intends for us to be tough, and that it is okay to be manly men, rather than the softies that it seems like the church is trying to mold us into (based on my own opinion). Guys, if you haven't read this book, I would highly recommend it. Women, buy it for your husbands. It's all about living as a Christian Man, in every essence. It talks about being good husbands and treating our wives the way the need to be treated, about being good fathers to our children, and about walking with God the way He intended us as men to walk with Him. If any of you have read it, what did you think? Are you as pumped about this book as I am? I feel like running outside and chopping down a tree or something. Lol

2. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

Can't say I was as "pumped" as you were regarding the book, but I did enjoy it. I think it does put a lot of things "in order" regarding male/female behavior and how to go about strengthening relationships........it offers several explanations for why men do what they do......and why women react the way they do to particular situations....a worthy read.

3. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

Good book, good man.

I went (my mother as well 2 years later) to the women's conference called "ransomed feminity". A long weekend in the woods with like mind women and John even stopped in as well.

Men should read this book and I recommend that women should read it as well, just because it will give better insight to a man's world.

Highly recommend.

4. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I heard John Eldredge on Focus on the Family, and was not impressed. It seems like he just makes his stuff up based on personal observations in his life. Not necessarily the same for every single person on every corner of the earth, as he makes it sound. Some of these writers should be better off writing autobiographies, if they simply want to write about what they believe they have learned from life, rather than writing psychological literature cloaked in a thin veil of "science".

5. ChickenFryChato

ChickenFryChato Lone Star State of Mind

I really can't base an opinion on John Eldrege or any of his other books. I've never read any others, nor have I seen an interview with him. I know authors put out some good stuff, as well as bad. If he's put out some bad stuff, then I can at least say that this book is one of his good, for me at least. I did not necessarily agree with every point of this book, and being a social worker by profession, there were a couple of comments he made that I was downright opposed to. Having an open mind, I plugged along, and found the book as a whole to be wonderful. I know that I will not agree 100% with anyone, or with every book I read. I did not find the book to be cloaked in Science by any means though. Maybe I just interpreted it differently, but the book is Christian based, and written about being a good Christian man. Some may like it, some may love it, some may despise it. I didn't like some parts of the book, but I really loved the book as a whole (does that make sense). It's a worthy read in my opinion. If I don't like a person for some reason (whether he/she is an author, actor, etc.) then I will refuse to read their books, watch their movies, or support them. Guess I'm glad I read the book before I see his interview. I would hate to have missed out on reading this book because of a personal conflict I had with him. The same can be said about movies. People say, "That's a great movie, you're really missing out by not watching it." My response is, "Maybe so, but I'm stubborn." lol. I'm open minded, but only to an extent.

6. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Jesus was a manly man.

God Himself is certainly a "manly" God.

I get what you're saying ;) It's my personal opinion that we'd have a lot less ADD and Ritalin if we'd let boys be boys.

Lots of "science" and research is personal experience(a la Kinsey, and look where we are now).

GLad the book made sense for you. GO chop a tree, manual labor is good for the soul ;)

Maybe you'd like God, Guns and Rock n Roll by Ted Nugent(haven't read it, but sounds good, did love his Kill IT and Grill It cookbook ;))

7. 1GandJ1

1GandJ1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip on a good book!! I will look out for it and get it when I can. It's nice to get a an idea of a book when someone else has made a personal recommendation.

If you get a chance to read "The Raggamuffin Gospel" grab it!!!!!! It will open up a whole new world of what grace is.

Thanks again.

8. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Jesus was a manly man.

God Himself is certainly a "manly" God(and I have no problem with that).

I get what you're saying ;) It's my personal opinion that we'd have a lot less ADD and Ritalin if we'd let boys be boys.

Lots of "science" and research is personal experience(a la Kinsey, and look where we are now).

Glad the book made sense for you. Go chop up a tree, manual labor is good for the soul ;) and you will have warmed yourself twice.

Maybe you'd like God, Guns and Rock n Roll by Ted Nugent(haven't read it, but sounds good, did love his Kill It and Grill It cookbook ;))

Have you seen Men in Trees(new tv show, knock off of Northern Exposure) its premise is that women really want a hairy chainsaw swinging guy, and guys really would rather wear plaid(arrrrrrrrrrghhhhh!)--and surprise they laugh about it! Instead of whining.

9. JennNY

JennNY Mom to 6 great kids!

I also loved the book. I think any wife and mom of boys should read the book. In today's society, men/boys are made to feel inferior and not right if they aren't sitting and being quiet. And the commercials and sitcoms nowadays... oyyyyyyyyyy.. portray men as weak men. I hate it.

Jenn

10. ovendoctor

ovendoctor north of the lift bridge

I ve been threw the book and small group setting
    awsom experance will recomend to read and get involved
    it touches on a lot of father/son relationship issues
    its helping me deal with my dad nearing the end of his journey[in the nursing home]
    being able to deal with issues/finances/health and all the other stuff that is part of the end of life

on the other side of the coin it help me with my two son's and their journey
    at thanksgiving Dan my oldest son asked if I think he's ready to get married to jen[they dated for 6.5 years]I said yes and gave them my blessing
    jen's dad joe [a good friend of mine] took sick that night and passed away 5 days later
    at the funeral home Dan asked me wat to do about asking gen's family
    I told him to go to jen's grandpa and ask him
    they talked and grandpa gave them his blessing
    we have a wedding 2nd weekend in may :dance:

this is the kind of stuff the book deals with family blessings

11. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

God is Spirit. Spirits have no biological gender. God has chosen to reveal Himself in the masculine, however, to reflect certain of His attributes.

12. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

If you, by chance, happen to match the defination of what someone else refers to as manly/womanly there is no problem with the consequences of doing so.

A vast majority of all the wrongs of this world amoungst people can be bottomlined at the idea that if you do not match a stated defination of what a man or woman is there is something wrong with you.

What sort of world do you think we would share if the idea that diversity and being unique and different in each our own right could be accepted by each of us?

Ask yourself why it is you need to fit a mold, match someone else's defination, have you convinenced yourself that this is the one and only way to define life itself?

Someone, please explain to me what examples you are using to say it's okay to destroy another human beings self image because they do not match your ideals.

You are all okay, and complete within yourself no matter what the world outside of self tells you.

Hugs
    Marlene