wife pregnant nausea help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by old timer, Jan 16, 2005.

1. old timer

old timer Active Member

does anyone know how safe it is to take Ginger (root) when you are pregnant? She heard from a friend that Ginger will help with nausea and reduce the morning sickness..... if it is safe...how much can she take per day???
    any help or advice will be greatly apreciated...by daddy......

thanks,
    Greg, Jen, Nick, Isabella, Jessica, Kevin, Cody and baby on the way.... :D :dance:

2. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Hi there! I found a few sites just by searching "pregnant ginger root" through yahoo.

Links don't like me tonight but they were:
    www.gettingwell.com
    www.naturemade.com
    www.mywebmd.com

I found in one of my books for morning sickness (mine was always night sickness lol) treatments were eating a handful of grapes, blackberries, even olives any fruit containing high amounts of tannins. I found nothing stating that ginger was harmful to pregnant women in studies only not to exceed 6 grams per day. And that it was very effective in reducing nausea, gas etc. Also cinnamon toast contains chemicals called catechins which is helpful to relieve nausea too, also chewing dill seed or make dill seed tea: 2 teaspoons of dill seed, 1 cup boiling water, steep 15 min. strain and drink.....personally though I'd go with the ginger or cinnamon toast for taste :D

Woohoo! they did link! heehee it works :haha:

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

ginger is probably the best cure for morning sickness. If you have never tasted ginger root you will find it so very pungent and hard to eat. One of the easiest ways to eat ginger root is candied.

Peel root, slice, mix 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. Bring to boil, turn down and simmer. Be sure to stir frequently so it doesn't burn. Cook until most of the water is gone. Roll in sugar. (easier to put in a bag of sugar and shake). Let dry. Store.

Your DW will only need to eat a small piece and it works in a matter of seconds. Do contact your doctor if you are in doubt about anything.

What I like most about the candied ginger is you can wrap individual pieces in wax paper and carry in the glove compartment of your car, her purse, a pocket.

Pepperment is also known to settle the stomach but not as fast or good as ginger.

4. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

Sometime mint can help nausea too (mint tea or gum). But minty toothpaste can really make you gag :rolleyes: so if she has that problem, she can try childrens toothpaste. Eating small frequent meals can help, I always felt the most sick on an empty stomach.

Just a warning, morning sickness is more like "all day sicknes" so go easy on your wife. My dh had a hard time understanding how miserable I felt until I started showing. Then I got more respect but I was also feeling better, lol.

Carla

Oh, and if your wife says she is tired, she's not. She is utterly and totally exhuasted to the point where she can hardly move. This will get better.
    Congratulations!

5. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Big grocery stores should have candied ginger in the baking aisle.

Not ginger but might have the same effect-
    Your pharmacy should have a sea/motion sickness bracelet. It puts pressure on a acupuncture point on the wrist and reduces or eliminates nausea. I hear it is used widely in Europe for morning sickness.

I had a friend who was normally carsick in the front seat, and drove with her from Vermont to MN with the bracelet and no ill effects at all.

6. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

My wife bought me some ginger capsules-when we were going on our first cruise[I get seasick-horrible] great for any nausea.I understand they work for morning sickness too[ or so says my daughter who is pregnant now].The best thing about ginger is it's a food-not a chemical.Any health food store has them.

7. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

Ginger tea is great!
    Almonds help too. Tell your wife to keep a supply in her pocket.
    Fresh air was always nice, rice cakes, plain popcorn, water with a little fresh lemon squeezed in it.
    Congratulations to you and your wife.

8. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

This isn't herbal, but I discovered that my pre-natal vitamins were making me throw up when I took them with breakfast. I started taking them with a larger more substantial meal and it solved that problem.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Don't let her get too hungry. Frequent small snacks will help during the day. Ginger tea is a good way to take ginger too. Hot and strong with honey is how I like it. Love candied ginger root, but it is a bit pricey and you can buy ginger powder real cheap. I use the powder to make tea. Be sure and let the powder settle to the bottom of the cup and pour the liquid off into a clean cup before she drinks it. She can drink as much as she wants. The capsules are nice to keep in her purse for when she is out of the house and can't make tea.

10. Countrymama

Countrymama Member

Papaya dried or fresh is great for nausea; it has been used in our family for morning sickness and the stomach flu too. Give it a try it does work.

11. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I had terrible morning sickness with my fifth child. I used to eat gingersnaps (homemade, so I knew how much ginger was in them and that it was real- not ginger flavor) and ginger toast (1 - 2 t. ginger mixed with 1/2 c. sugar- sprinkle on buttered toast)

That child, once born, had carsickness, even if only going a mile or so. I used those bracelets with her and they worked wonders.

12. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I second the prenatal pills making one sick. I had to try several brands before I felt Ok. The over the counter ones were fine no problems. W/ baby #2 I only used OTC prenatals. We eat very well and I make sure we have a veried diet so I was not too worried about the vitamins. Lots of veggies and fruits!!!!!!!!!

If/when she gets up at night have her eat something light. Toast, cereal, crackers- I loved fruit. Waking up w/ an empty stomach is bad. Eat something every 2-3 hrs. i dosen't have to be much. Once not feeling well it is hard to eat. She won't need to eat more for a while, unless she is underweight, just more often.

Avoid stong smells. Gasoline, skunk, other sulfur based products. If you have room refresheners you might take them out for a while. Bland is teh name of the game if sick. Katharine

13. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Nausea is very common in the first Trimester (12 weeks) of Pregnancy. It is associated with hormonal changes that occur. Small frequent meals are good, I like to see pregnant women eating some protein foods throughout the day as it seems to decrease the problem. Think small snacks, a handful of almonds, a hard boiled egg, a cup of yougurt etc. Ginger capsules also work well if she does not like the taste. 250mg -4 times a day. Vitamin B6 30mg twice a day also helps a lot. Both can be purchased at the health food store or Walmart.
    For severe nausea that is causing lots of vomiting and the woman is unable to keep anything down ,have her see her health care provider we have stronger medicine if needed. Once in a great while a woman may need IV fluids if the nausea is severe. This too will pass and is usually a good sign of a healthy baby :)
    You might want to check out www.gentlebirth.org for more information on normal pregnancy. You can also type in the midwifery archives for a search on normal pregnancy.
    Best wishes to you both.
    Jodi

14. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I carry Altoids peppermints in my purse all the time. I normally HATE peppermint taste, but, boy, does it take the nausea away in no time!

15. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I've heard that many doctor's don't recommend the ginger capsules, but they say that eating the ginger is okay and usually helps. An easy solution is to buy some 7-up, grate some of the root, and at it to the drink. It's a bit of an aquired taste, but it doesn't take much to stop a sick stomach. Also, the classic ginger snap is a great fix. I get sick to my stomach from headaches, and a few of the cookies nip it in the bud.

There is a syrup out there called Emetrol. It's lemon mint, and comes in another flavor too...Anyways, it's essentially a sugary syrup with mint to stop nausea and is safe for pregnant women. Keep in mind though, that it's essentially concentrated lemon-lime soda, and the soda itself is much cheaper.

16. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I had the 24hr a day sickness w/my pregnancies- you lucky gals who only had MORNING sickness- but my midwife had me take 50 mg of B6 each morning and it worked like a charm!

17. peahigirl

peahigirl Well-Known Member

I had really bad morning sickness with my first son. Wondered why they called it morning sickness as I was pukey all the time. Not my idea of blooming motherhood.

This is what worked for me. A TBLS or two of brewers yeast in a glass of milk, with molasses added to make it palatable. Would have this a couple of times of day, and boy did it work! Heard that it had something to do with the B vitamins in the brewers yeast, but don't qoute me on that. Oh, and soda crackers.

18. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Might want to to some searching on B vitamins and preganacy. Have heard some people say it really helps.

For me it seems like every pregnancy it takes something differantto help with the all daysickness. Like for my last it was Pepsi :no: Told my midwife and she said there is something in Pepsi that helps with nausa.

Congrats!

Mrs Whodunit