Wife Got The Electric Company Mad At Her

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Apr 14, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Wife called the Electric Company the other day told them she needed a Meter Pulled,and asked if they would pull the Box for her.She was wanting to save $140 on putting Electric up at the Lake.

They told her that they would pull the Meter,but she would have to pull the Box,that it wouldn't be no problem.

She comes home seen the Meter had been pulled and they had put a Cap over the hole.She goes out starts taking the Box off.I told her I thought it was still Hot.She says well they told me I could pull it off.I told her to quit until we did some more checking.

Well she calls them back up.They tell her she can't pull it because it is to go with the property.Well I guess she raised enough cane they are going to come out pull the Box today.

big rockpile

2. texican

texican Well-Known Member

When they pull the meter, they're just pulling out the measuring meter. The box the meter goes in is usually free from the electric company.

Always helps to be there when the electric folks show up.... I would have asked them to take the meter, and disconnect from the pole, so that you could pull your entire meter loop pole out and move it to your new location. Visually watching them pull the disconnect down (on the pole next to the transformer) is the only way I'll work on anything in the meter box.

3. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Here we must purchase everything from the weather head down. They just put the meter in the box you provide. That would be a heck of a thing to have them tell you what to do with your property.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well here they charge $200 a Pole,$50 an Anchor,$140 for Box,$20 set Up fee,$10 Connection Fee.

They came out took the Box down.Took them 5 minutes.Thing is we had two Meters here,didn't need the one they took out.Going to put it up at the Lake,save the $140.

The Electric Company got mad at me last Summer when the neighbor put electric in.They was going to put the Poles on the inside of my Fence,I told them that they wasn't.

big rockpile

5. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

Here we pay from the closest point to bring in Ele. Every wire, concrete, rod, ect. My has been in for 2 years and the entire meter loop I paid for at an electical store. The Ele company is changing to remote reads and "upgraded" My meter but kept the old. This is for them to have it easier. So why did they keep the old one that I paid for? Note not all places will be changed over. I could have used it some where eles on the land when I build.

6. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

If think it is different in different areas.

We lived in California, and there the utility company [PG&E] owned everything beyond the weather head and I owned the weather head on down.

Here in Maine, the land owner buys the pole, the box and the wire used to reach from the pole to the last previously used pole.

For example, my property already had a power-line running along the road frontage. So beginning at their pole where my line is attached at the street. I paid a per foot fee for every foot of wire, running onto my property up to my pole [which I had to buy] and down the pole, through the weather-head [which I bought] down through conduit [which I bought] and into the box [which I bought].

At other places, you look for the closest existing powerline, even if it is your neighbor's, you can tap onto it, and the distance from that power line on is what you pay for,