Wierd Tail Ailment

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Celtic_Knot, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Celtic_Knot

Celtic_Knot Celtic Heritage Farms

I have a ram lamb, bout a month old who has this patch of dead skin on the tip of his tail, on one side. I peeled it back and it came off, puss and serum all covering it and I also found some small, very small had to peel back the wool to see, lesions to the sides of his tail but they were already scabbed over, this one looked like it was in the process of scabbing. Cleaned it with saline so as not to kill his developing skin, slathered it in antibiotic ointment and wrapped it. He's also running a temp of 104.0 so I'll start him on a course of antibiotics. Anyone have an idea of what this might have been? It's too cold for flies out here so other than an injury??

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

His Mum has been eating it - and no I'm not pulling your leg! Over-zealous ewes either in the process of cleaning the lamb up or encouraging it to drink by nuzzling on the tail, will start munching it and over the years I've had more than a few lambs that end up with only half their tail as a result.

Get his temperature down then put a ring on it.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Celtic_Knot

No she's never munched a tail and it doesn't look like that's what's happened. Got him on some Bio-myicin, and as soon as my friend can come help me band the bugger we'll get that nasty thing off. I can never get the ring right for show regulations.

4. Celtic_Knot

YA!!! Fever gone took his temp this morning it was down to 102.6 and his tail is developing a nice scab. I really need to get my own bander so we don't have to go through this every year. At least I won't have to worry much about flies.