Wide mouth or regular jars?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by featherbottom, Sep 27, 2005.

1. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

2. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I use both. I use the wide mouth for things like potatoes, dill pickles and peaches. It's much easier to load big things into the jars with the wide mouths. I use small mouth for all the rest. The lids for the small mouth are cheaper. Just use a brush to get them clean.

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I prefer the wide-mouth...glad to see I'm not the only who likes to put their hand in the jars...but just use what is available. All the jars I have accumulated have either been given to me or bought at auctions. For lack of a dishwasher, what I do when washing the jars is just stuff the wash rag into the jar, then take a kitchen knife or large spoon and use it to swirl it around the inside bottom.

4. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I use all 3 US sizes. That's widemouth, regular, and 63s! My big hands aren't going to even get down into a widemouth so we've got brushes to do the cleaning. We gave away or traded most of the widemouth quarts to a friend who cans a lot of meat. I do like widemouth pints for certain pickles but otherwise stick mostly with the two smaller sizes.

Martin

6. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I have both wide and reg. size jars but plan to change to all regular size jars because the wide lids are going up in price. This year I did find a hardware store that had a sale on regular lids for .99 a dozen, so I bought 48 dozen.
    I hope they have the same sale next year though cause i only have 18 dozen left.

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I prefer wide mouth and will use those unti I run out, then I will use the regular. They are just so much easier to spoon/ladel into.

8. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Wide mouth are easier to use....but I prefer regular mouth because they are so much cheaper to buy lids for. I bought a special jar scrubber from a dairy supply place. It is wonderful! It is really sturdy and will easily fit into a regular mouth jar. If you have access to a dairy supply, ask for a calf bottle brush! The handle is nearly as large as a broom handle around...and the bristles are nice and thick and sturdy. They are nothing like a regular baby bottle brush which will bend and the bristles don't allow you to scrub. My daughter can get her hands down into a regular mouth but mine won't fit! I just use my calf bottle brush. It is also great for cleaning out flower vases.

I have about 500 to 600 regular and 500 to 600 wide mouth....and I use both .....I just keep mine in rubber made tubs and mine are only separated by quarts and pints...not wide and reg. Whatever I grab is what I use.....

9. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

We prefer wide-mouth, but we use both because we have both. If anyone gives jars to us we take them with thanks, but if we buy new ones we buy only wide-mouth.

10. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I never bought the wide-mouths until last year. Now I really prefer them and use them until I run out, then switch to the regular. I think the ease of use, cleaning, and getting stuff out of them, make the lids worth the extra cost.