Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out here please. I know there are a lot of KS residents on HT and I am new to the state. Where are your favorite places to shop? I'd really like to know about any good pick your own fruit farms or nut farms. Any good places to buy bedding plants and veggie plants? I've heard there are a few wineries nearby that I thought would be fun to check out. Any unique places to check out just because it's fun? Anybody sell baby chicks, poults or ducklings? I liquidated my poultry flock before the move and need to re-stock. Any good places to bring your animals in to be butchered?

Thank You
Heather

·
Cheap but not free
386 Posts
I am North of Wichita a ways. I have my beef butchered in a little town NW of Wichita called Yoder. Yoder is a neat town, Amish, and you can explore it as a fun day. Carriage Crossing homestyle restaurant, old time Yoder Hardware, Kansas Crossing merchantile with tons of Kanasa made stuff.

20 minutes north of Wichita is Newton. They have lots of shops on Main Street and a farmer's market on Saturday morning.

Beck's Farm is a little north of Wichita, just a few miles, and its a pick your own peaches orchard and farm products store.

Listen to 1070 am radio. It's a country station and they advertise plenty of good businesses.

A wonderful place to buy garden plants etc is in Hesston, a little further North of Newton. It's called Stone Creek Nursery.

A road trip well worth the time is to Salina, 90 miles North of Wichita. They have a great winery called Smokey Hills Winery.

http://www.stonecreeknursery.com/

http://www.thenewtonchamber.org/

http://www.kansaswine.com/

http://www.yoderkansas.com/

http://www.becksfarm.com/index.html

http://www.kfdi.com/get/theranch/

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Hey you two, WELCOME to the sunflower state.

You might as well travel a little past Wichita to the northwest and become acquainted with the State Fair host city of Hutchinson.

Make a day of it and check out the newly opened Salt Museum 650 feet below ground and also the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Discovery Center. Currently they are offering a discount on tickets when you get them for both. The visit can be the same day or different days X number of days limit.

A new scrapbook store has opened at 13th and Main in Hutchinson and there is another on Lorraine Street close to the Grand Prairie Hotel. Hobby Lobby often has their supplies on sale too.

On the way to Hutchinson you might also wish to visit the Yoder area to get a little view of the Amish and Mennonite population. The Carriage Crossing restaurant is considered a must visit by many. The lumber yard has the old time feel to it and carry many of the supplies that the Amish buy. Yoder has a Friday afternoon Farmer's Market.

Hutchinson offers a Farmer's Market at 2nd and Washington Street on Wednesday afternoon and on Saturday morning. To add some other good vegetables and fruits check out Smith's Vegetable Market at 211 South Main.
Be aware that Hutchinson and South Hutchinson are two different cities but often have similar addresses.

For plants many think that Stutzman's Greenhouse 5 miles west of Hutchinson on K-61/US-50 is the place to go. They have several satellite stores now--in Pratt, Salina, and at 30th and Apple Lane in Hutchinson. A stones throw from Stutzman's is the Dutch Kitchen restaurant. It is owned by the same party as the Carriage Crossing restaurant.

To the east of Stutzman's Greenhouse is Glenn's Bulk Foods. Flours of many sorts most freshly ground, grains, larger quantities of packages spices, etc. to stock your larder. Galva, KS east of McPherson also offers a bulk store--I believe called Emma Lou's. I haven't been there for awhile but they do keep adding to the supplies I'm told. Awesome pastries.

Hutchinson has a surplus store out north of town located at a residence. I've not visited, but they do have a web site.

Hutchinson has a lot of other things to offer but when one is exposed to them daily they forget about them. There are several consignment auctions that take place weekly.

Another plug for Hutchinson--the State Fairgrounds is the location of a lot of events of all kinds. There is an upcoming national motorcycle rally aimed at riders of all brands including autos. There is also a national antique engine and tractor show rapidly coming up. Next year the Antique Historical Truck Society has their national convention here in late May.

I have changed computers but there is a state by state web site for U-pick growers. Along those lines--Wichita also has a Farmer's Market at the Extension Office complex. I believe it is on Saturday. Can't think of the location of the complex, but I could drive to it. lol.

Hutchinson offers Tractor Supply Company and Orscheln's. Wichita has several farm supply stores. Newton has at least one also. The outlet mall at Newton is so, so in my opinion.

Just a thought--we had a really hard late freeze in Kansas this spring. I think that most all fruit was lost for this year.

I already have activities scheduled for the next several weekends, but a little later on if you'd like to meet on a weekend I'd buy your dinner giving us a chance to say hi.

BTW, South Hutchinson has a livestock auction barn and holds an auction weekly on Tuesdays. Hay and alfalfa sell prior to the livestock. Not sure what all is sold besides cattle, but you could call and ask if interested.

Again, welcome to Kansas. Windy in Kansas

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
If you do check out Salina you may wish to also stop off in McPherson and check it out. I'm told that Stone Creek Nursery of Hesston now has a branch there.

Salina has the Bicentennial Center which often hosts events. Several nice farm stores there as well as a larger selection of lumber yards. They also have a nature preserve.

Maxwell, Kansas has quite a buffalo herd to visit.

Lindsborg, KS is a short distance south of Salina. The city is known as Little Sweden. The heritage is strong and there are yearly events to keep the ties going. Just 2-3 miles north and a tad west of Lindsborg is Coronado Heights. It is a hill that juts out of the prairie 300 feet high or so with a Works Progress Administration built facility on it in the shape of a castle. The area is set up for picnics and BBQs. Inside of the castle building is a fireplace for chilly days. Up the staircase is the observation platform to view the surrounding countryside. I think 7 or so towns can be seen from there.

Coronado explored the area centuries ago while seeking the city of gold.

·
Registered
922 Posts
they have a farmers market every saturday at the Sedgwick county extension office.. ..

and if you're near winfield, then you'll probably want to check out the cowley county fair coming up soon. Maybe we can meet up even, we plan to be there to touch bases with the 4h and ffa groups down in that part since we've been going to the sedgwick county fair the last several years.

I was going to suggest Becks farm too...but with the late freeze Im guessing they wont have many peaches this year.

I was going to pm you to see what type of dairy cattle you have, and if you'll be having any calves available come springtime :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Cox Farms in South wichita (on Seneca street around the 6000 block?) is also great for produce. Dutchmans' greenhouse is just north of them. I usually got my chicks via mail order from a hatchery in TX. If you are free this weekend, the SG county fair is going on in Cheney (west of Wichita about 20 miles on hwy 54). I would agree with all that Windy said - take a day trip to Hutch, stop to eat at the Carriage Crossing in Yoder, hit the hardware store in Yoder (like a miniature Lehmans). If it's summer, there is always Salt City Splash for the kiddos in Hutch as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts