Why

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dink, May 30, 2006.

  1. Dink

    Dink Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    581
    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2006
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Why are goats considered for getting rid of brush?Here in NC there are tons of plants that are toxic to goats so you would have to clear the land before turning goats on it. :shrug:
     
  2. ozark_jewels

    ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    9,246
    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2005
    Location:
    Missouri
    Goats are the perfect land clearer, as they clear without doing too much damage. There are lots of toxic plants here in southern missouri as well, but with a wide range of choices, the goats pick what they want to eat and avoid the toxic ones. Also.....a pet peeve of mine....is that many, many, "toxic" plants are only toxic to goats if eaten in excess or under certain circumstances. In the "toxic" plants list is black walnut, pokeweed, milkweed, hemlock, locust, oak, etc. All of which my goats eat with relish. It is not their total diet.....if it was, I can see it could be a problem. But if I went out of my way to dispose of all "toxic" plants on our 100 acres......It would be a 24/7 job. If introduced slowly or growing up with them, most goats can tell what to eat and if its harmful they generally limit themselves. Now cutting greens and feeding it to dry-lotted goats.....you have to be extremely careful what you feed!!
     

  3. TexCountryWoman

    TexCountryWoman Gig'em

    Messages:
    1,198
    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Location:
    Lexington Texas area
    Exactly, a goat takes a bite of this and that and doesn't fill up on the toxic plants. But if you throw a bunch of toxic plants over the fence where that is the only greens they have and they are just craving something fresh, they will gorge on them and get sick.