Why wouldnt it be possible...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

to check for pregnancy using a doppler to listen for baby's heartbeat? In people we use the doppler and can tell that we are getting the baby and not the mom as the baby has such a faster heartbeat. I would think that the heartbeat in kids is similarly faster than their mother's...

is there any reason that this wouldnt work? obviously you wont be able to tell how many there are, but you would at least be able to tell if there is at least ONE, right?

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

If you watch the video on Goatbreeding and Kid Rearing by Hillary Matthews, they use a doppler. Seems to work for them.

Ruth

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

It would work perfectly, they even sell the units for goats. Being a midwife do you have access to one so you can tell us on your goats if it works well? Vicki

4. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

My aunt works in a hospital dept. where lots of outpatient testing is done. Including ultrasound & doppler. She told me to bring my pygmy doe in this morning & she'd check her out.

I'm not brave enough!! :no: :D

Could you just picture me, sneaking thru the halls with my doe, who has to "talk" to everyone? :eek:

5. Qvrfullmidwife

"Being a midwife do you have access to one so you can tell us on your goats if it works well?"

Oh yeah, I have one...with digital readout and everything :D Wiated long enough to get it! :eek:

I think that I will give it a try tomorrow...what is the normal ht rate for a kid?

Just...(shhh) dont tell any of my "people" clients that the doppler has been used out in the barn! :haha:

6. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Hey do like I do with my clippers use on the goats first and then the hubby.
    course I do stealize and clean in between HA!

7. moosemaniac

Sondra, are you telling me I didn't NEED to buy a separate clipper for the goats? :eek: DANG!

Ruth

8. moosemaniac

So has anyone tried this yet? Did it work? I've noticed there are several doppler units for sale on Ebay.
    Ruth

9. Qvrfullmidwife

OK...we tried it. And I didnt get a heartbeat. I did get noises similar to what we hear on people when the baby is kicking, but that could have been rumen/digestive noises as well. (Though they were awfully sharp noises, IYKWIM)

However...I would not necessarily count that as indicative of anything other than (1)I dont know where best to listen (2)they really ought to be shaved for best listening :haha: (3)it may call for more than a 3 MH doppler :confused: and last but certainly not least, (4)we cant hear babies because there ARE none! :no:

Guess time will tell. Maybe if I ever get Vicki out this way we can try again with her suggestions of where best to listen, etc.

10. moosemaniac

Okay, so I was checking out doppler websites and I found one that also deals in veterinarian equipment so I emailed them asking if the unit would work on goats. Here's their response.

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for your email, what a super question, thank you.

The PD1 standard will detect goats in later pregnancy, but a better unit for early detection through to term is the PD1cv 5, which has a 5MHz probe, this is the one we sell to the larger breed dog breeders for whelp detection.

It costs slightly more but is better suited for animal work because of the size of the fetus.

I have attached a brochure from our human side which gives you a little more info.

Please can I ask, where did you track us down from and did you know when you asked that we lead the world in Veterinary dopplers?

Best regards

Mike

Now using their price list, the darned things are rather expensive, but maybe if we poke around we can find something used.............hmmmmm

Ruth

11. Qvrfullmidwife

"where did you track us down from " :haha:

I think that what I have is the equivalent of the PD1 and it is a 3MHz doppler. This is what is used to detect heart tones early (8 weeks on , usually) in pregnancies.

I got mine new for $300 which was a really great deal, nearly half off. You can find them used on Ebay, and you can also rent them for about $30 a month from places like 'stork radio', but i wouldnt imagine that they would want to rent to you if they knew that you were planning to use them on animals... :haha: