why won't they breed like..like RABBITS???

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BlessedMom, Mar 30, 2006.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Okay, I have a NZ Doe she is 11 months old. Never been bred.
    I have a NZ buck that is 1 1/2 years old, experienced.
    She is so not interested. We've been trying for weeks now. I cannot get her pregnant! She will clam up and not even give him a chance.
    Or she's chase him around his cage until he just goes to a corner.
    WHAT am I doing wrong???
    I thought rabbits were suppose to breed like wildfire??? This is our second pair, the first pair is int he freezer since the doe lost her mind and was such a pill, and then our buck was injured when he found a way out of his cage. <sigh>
    Are rabbits very difficult???

2. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, they can be very difficult sometimes. We have just come through an entire winter with only 1 litter of babies, and we have many rabbits, 89 all together, but we didn't try with all of them, due to ages, etc. However, I do have a few girls that I put in with the buck and then after they do their little chasing around the cage a couple of times, I stop her and actually hold her there and let him get on with his business. After that it seems to go a lot better. Don't know if it will help you, but I have just had 4 litters born this week, so it did help here.

3. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

If you put 1T apple cider vinegar in 1 gal of watter and give that to them in their water bottle it will get them both in the mood. I was told to give them the vinegar at least four days before you put them together. Another trick (I haven't tried this one yet) sometimes if you take them out of their cages and put them on the floor it will help with a reluctant doe. Don't feel bad I have a pair of mini lops that can't figure it out either. Good luck!

4. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a Satin doe that is driving me nuts, too. She gets another month or so, but if she doesn't cooperate soon she's pot material! Sometimes you just get them like that, I've heard.

Jennifer

5. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

Some does need privacy- a quiet little spot. Put bucks cage next to her for awhile- When you see them checking each other out it will be time. Don't put them too close together in case they fight. After she is bred move buck to somewhere else. If That buck doesn't work maybe they don't like each other. Breeding bucks are as important as the does and you should usually have a couple around. I have recieved 3 does that supposedly had breeding problems. One holland lop doe raised 3 of 5 babies and the other has 6 right now(her first litter and all 6 lived). My white new zealand had 8 and has 8 again right now. I just bred the (pair I just got) red new zealand pair yesterday and I guess time will tell. I'm sure you will get some more ideas from others too and good luck.