Why too much milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

My ND doe is nursing triplets. They are fat and sassy and about 5 1/2 weeks old. I thought that since they are older they would be drinking more milk. They eat hay and grain and drink water because they are with mama and do what she does. In the pen they eat strips of cedar bark from the posts. But still, I have been noticing that her bag is usually very full!
    We are going to start milking her because I don't want her to end up with mastitis. But you would think nursing three hefty (for Nigies!) babies would use a considerable amount of milk! I see them nursing so I know she hasn't weaned them.
    Is she just settling in to her lactation? This is my first goat in lactation and it did occur to me that maybe she is just hitting her stride in milk production.
    Feedback, please? Thanks! Jillis!

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

The more they nurse, the more she will produce. As they get older & start eating more hay/grain/browse & nurse a little less, you will see her fuller than normal. I would pen them at night & let them with her during the day. You could milk her out in the morning & enjoy all of the yummy milk!

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Thanks Wendy!
    I'm going to the Hoegger's catalog right now to order the milking supplies I should have ordered a month ago! My son built a beautiful milking stand, too!
    :sing: