Why such a large decrease?

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by Usingmyrights, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Well-Known Member Supporter

What happened that here was such a large decrease in activity? I know there was a little bit of a drop when this section got moved to the top. It picked up some once it was moved back down to the basement. The same with the new ownership. It still didn't seem to be a huge drop. Now there doesnt seem to be much going on. I'd say that it's less than half, maybe even down to a quarter of what it was even a few months ago.

2. tailwagging

tailwagging Well-Known Member

it is becoming spring!

3. unregistered65598

unregistered65598 Guest

Since the switch I have noticed alot of old timers drop off.

secretcreek likes this.
  4. Usingmyrights

I know there was a core group that did a lot of the posting, such as patriotsupply. I hate that its died down so much.

Horsefly likes this.
  5. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

at some point we have gone over a lot of the same stuff over and over , unless you always have new people asking new questions , and even then because the search is so good a person can sit down and read a mountain of information and have so many of their questions answered.

so that and , people just busy with life

6. bluetogreens

bluetogreens Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually except fort CO's gun debate, the philibuster in washington gridlock etc. it has been a "good" week. lots of warning signs, lots of turmoil just below the surface, but the general sheep are warm in the wool this week.

We are doubling down now, buying a highland cow, double/trippling our laying hen flock and doing bulk shopping this month. getting ready for growing/weeding/canning season.

kasilofhome and terri9630 like this.
  7. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I know I've not posted much, and some of the regulars are not here - and nothing to do with site sale or that stuff.

Some stay away due to non-survival topics, some because they tried to help and got shot down by some that try to get in the last word of appearing as knowing more than they know, some are out getting the gardens ready, some are just cycling through.

And the site slows down during the first warmer weather as people get outside and after today, have more after work hours of sunshine.

Soon, there will be the posts about the tornado weather and hurricane preparedness.

And we all can be searching our brains for new items to post about in how to be ready for x, y , or z

And we are appearing to be somewhat in the turmoil of times that people 5 years ago were talking of being prepared for.
    Inflation; less jobs; higher outflow of funds; many bad weather/nature happenings.

We need to probably get a bit more on Survival and Emergency prep focused again.

Got any ideas? And topics we should be exploring?

Angie

PS: Usingmyrights - thanks for bringing this up, as it's something I've been noticing. I've just been really busy, too.

8. farmersonja

farmersonja Lost in the desert!

Hi I am new here. I live in the high mountain desert of Nevada. My state got hit very very hard when the economy tanked. If DH and I had any other debt but our mortgage we would have been in a lot of trouble. But we didn't and we weathered my job loss ok with what preps we had. Now we are rebuilding our garden and our preps. We have water, and our renters are going to be essentailly paying our mortgage,the only bills we are going to have are our utilities. We have water. Might not be enough. Other than starting to accumulate more canning jars, what holes do you see in our preps if we have, say a flood? I should mention we are on some of the highest ground in this place.

Horsefly likes this.
  9. unregistered29228

unregistered29228 Guest

I've noticed a lot of old timers don't post at all/as much. I think some of it is that people want to keep a low profile and are busy getting their preps in order.

I keep coming back here because there's always something new to learn, and knowledge to share. I was a complete S&EP newbie when I came here, and now I am experienced enough to help out someone else that's new to it.

Horsefly, Little_Bit_Red and Vosey like this.
  10. Usingmyrights

Well Angie, the thread I started about the bugoutbunk will hopefully get some traffic. I'd really like to get people's opinions on that. It's definitely an interesting idea, but I almost feel as if its not much more than a scam. I'll post more about how I feel about it in that thread, but from looking at the facebook discussion and the site, I hope that no one is actually expecting to thrive if they need to go there.

AngieM2 likes this.
  11. Horsefly

Horsefly Well-Known Member

I miss the regulars too. I know for me, I've been to busy to post. I did catch up a little in the Daily Journal but that is about it. I think I need to start getting up 4 in the morning again. Now that the days are getting longer we will be busy but I hope to jump in every so often. DH will be working on putting up the garage & I will be taking care of the gardens, the children, house & activities that go with the kids. Oh, and I am hoping to start an herb garden this year. As far as prepping goes we are at a stand still. Which is okay by me. I need to make room for more stuff! :)

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Every time I come to this site I am reminded to check craigslist for canning jars then I jump off to do it before I forget! bye

Becka03 likes this.
  13. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the last few months that some nastiness has increased. Not on this specific board so much, but on all of the site. That may have chased some people away??? Maybe I am wrong though.

As far as topics.... I have a strange question, but....
    How many packages of clothes pins does everyone keep on hand? I like the plastic ones more than the wooden spring ones, but I am down to one pack. And I can't find them at WM anymore. I was just curious as to how many packs most people keep on hand? It seems like I go through a pack or two each year just from breakage.

ladybug and Tommyice like this.
  14. AngieM2

I only have one package for closing things in the kitchen. I don't have a clothes line, and having those clothes pins is something i did not thing of having on haand. Good idea.

secretcreek likes this.
  15. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

I see plastic ones at the dollar store and other places, but I liked the ones WM had. They were tighter and thicker than most of the cheap plastic ones. The wooden ones work, but break so easily and twist crooked.

16. AngieM2

Have you looked online - like Lehman's or such?

17. Tommyice

Tommyice Indomitable

Meka you should come to my house. I have quite the assortment of them, and all of them are "hand me downs" LOL. Got the plastic ones you talk of and of course the wooden spring ones too. Also have the kind that look like a peg with legs. By far my favorite were "inherited" from my grandmother. Plastic with a hanger type hook on top. For giggles I thought I'd find a pic for you of those. Found them on eBay for $9 for 3 of them. I never realized how rich I was. LMAO.

But back to the topic, Meka I have seen what you have too all over the board. Outright nastiness towards other, negativity for negativity's sake and some nice passive-agressive behavior. But I'm actually seeing it in real life world too. People are raw. Not sure what to attribute it to either. Could be weather, could be just a general malaise that infects others.

18. CountryCabin

CountryCabin Well-Known Member

Along with what others have said.

'Tis the season to be getting things done or all lined up to get done ASAP.

Some can get out to garden already.

Others, like myself, are shoveling snow from beds, tossing plastic over them in hopes that they will warm up faster.
    Measuring other areas as to were another bed or two can go, another portion measured to extend the fruit trees and bushes, etc..
    Taking trees out in that area that are in the way and bucking it up for future firewood. Then shovel out a foot of snow between 2 other trees to stack it or cut it to size for the new beds.

Any fixing on grnhses to be done before its time to put in the new plants, or making of another grnhse.

Shopping around for the best buy (on line) for more fencing, etc.

Starting seeds and their care, then moving up to larger containers.

Then there is hatching eggs. Getting set up for the coming chicks.

There's all the coops that need cleaning out now that the warmer air has moved in. Hauling that thru the remaining snow to get to put it on top of the beds. Hopefully you hit mostly the beds. ;)

All takes time and it all seems to come in a big rush. So its hurry, hurry, growing season will be on us before we are ready.
    Time, time...where's the time to do all this........?
    But its got to be done. *sigh*
    Now if only Ma Nature would help out and get rid of this white stuff much sooner then it is so far.... ok I can dream .......right??

Then theres the reg. everyday stuff that needs tending...oh boy..more to fit in. :hair

(My excuse/reason for being here... I am on lunch break right now so I can read/post this)

InHisName and Horsefly like this.
  19. AngieM2

well, as to the nastiness and passive agressiveness - it is seen, but if rules are not broken it's hard to make changes, especially as "BE NICE" is figured in different ways.

And - at least for this forum - I need your help. I want to make it not nasty here - and such.

We are attempting to get better co-ordinated to cut back on that distemper that is showing.

But, it is showing in real life and many places.

So, I hear you. and I have a HUGE pm box, so feel free to PM me - or report a post with a reason why you think a post in inappropriate. It helps.
    (you can to that in any other forum, also and it will go to that forum's mods).

We are all getting worn down from watching too much news that has most all of us concerned.

My advice for the day - if you have pretty weather, for get the getting ready and go Prepare your soul with getting out in nature or with favorite family/friends. Refresh, and we'll come back together as a group that wants to be ready and still care for this group.

20. jessimeredith

jessimeredith That's relativity. Supporter

I come and lurk...post when I have a question or can offer insight...but mostly lurk.

We've been super busy with getting the 'Stead as ready as we possibly can with the funds we have. Raised garden beds, small orchard started, chickens multiplying weekly (lol), rabbits, fencing, home repairs, etc. While we've been keeping an eye on things in the news, we've been focusing more on things we CAN change and CAN do with a sense of immediacy. We are connected to "the outside" world, but are focusing more on what is right in front of us, how to improve it and how to maintain it.

CountryCabin and scooter like this.