Why so many unregistered guests?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Dec 20, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    At the time of this writeing there are 155 registered members, and 243 nonregistered guests on line. Are you unregistered guests aware that there is more forums available if your register? Your missing the good stuff......

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

The first time I found HOmesteading Today was while looking for a recipe. I was sent to the cooking and crafts forum. It was several days later that I realized there was more to the site than just the cooking section. Another couple of months of reading and such before I decided to take the plunge. Maybe these unregistered guests are only just now finding the pool.

3. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I notice that alot,too....actually,this was brought up on the single tree forum not long ago. There are usually more guests than members. Maybe the guests are just shy :)

4. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

5. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

If you think that the Forum is interesting why not join? Its not hard to fill out a form. Its also not like a life and death decision. I'm not trying to sound rude but with so many guests visiting the forum you would wonder why they aren't registering?

6. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

I visited for about a year before I actually posted and joined. I just lurked and absorbed information. I still lurk *far* more than I post simply because I don't have much to say quite yet since I'm still in the planning stages of future homesteading. I can cook from scratch and do random crafts right now, but for livestock and fencing etc, I just lurk soak in knowledge until I can actually obtain land to put it to use. :)

There are probably more people of similar minds who are still city slickers but are just in planning for the future.

7. kuriakos

kuriakos Well-Known Member

I read in a forum somewhere that the search engine "spiders" (that go out and catalog everything they can find on the internet) are counted as unregistered guests. That probably accounts for some of the guests.

8. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless I sign in every time I visit the site, I don't show up in the members online at the bottom of the page because of the way my cookies are set.

9. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Ditto for me. :)

10. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

I looked around this site for several weeks. I think many people are like me in the fact that they are afraid to put too much information "on line". With so much internet fraud and viruses going around people get protective of themselves. I just had a virus sent to me by someone but it was blocked by my Virus Programs. It used the name Ralph. Beware ..........

It took me awhile to "join". I am glad I did and enjoy looking at how people are approaching problems. The best part is how helpfull most of you are when there is a question. Where else can you pole so many people for information or a helping hand?

Thanks everyone,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year or whatever makes you happy.

NJ Rich

11. wheeezil

wheeezil Well-Known Member

12. Txcopperhead

Txcopperhead Future Homesteader

13. wncramsey

wncramsey Well-Known Member

When I signed up it took about a week to get validated to be able to post, but by that time I had already read the posts going back 2 years :cool:

Diane

14. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Now i'm curious, If your logged in but use *invisable mode* do you show up on the list as a "guest"? I think alot of people use *invisable mode*.

15. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

When you are invisible you do not show up as a guest.
    Angie

16. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

RATS!!! All this time I thought I was feeding MOOPUPS bad data.....

17. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I usually don't log in unless I intend to post a reply or something, therefore as others have said, many showing as unregistered are actually registered but just not logged in.

18. OkieOwl

OkieOwl Wife, mother (6) & woman

Born and bred Okie living in Kansas at the moment
    Took me a realllllllly long time to register even though I was coming and reading everyday (this is how I spend almost ALL my internet time). And I don't post unless I have something to say. I just like to read about things I'm interested in...agree sometimes, disagree others, but usually learning something valuable (especially in cooking and tightwad tips...love those)

Anyway, long winded post just to say...Today's guests could be tomorrow's members.

19. Hotrodder

Hotrodder Member

I have run a few forums and the one thing most forums have in common is only about 10% of the visitors register, and only 10% of those post, and of those only 5% can be called active posters.

That's one of those things that makes a new forum hard to get going. No one will post until someone posts first. it's the chicken and the egg thing.

20. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What is amazing to me is the small post count of those whom are responding to this group of words....