why should i steer

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Just wanting info on why people steer. Do they fatten better when steered or is it to not have a big group of bulls.
    Thanks in advance

2. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Basically, it's because it's easier than dying. Bulls are big, strong, and unpredictable. Steers are big, strong, and not nearly as unpredictable.
    Steers will fatten better than bulls - after a certain age - normally about 12 months. Before then, bulls will fatten better.

P.S. Doh! I said 12 weeks! I meant months. I've gone back and changed it. While we're at it, bulls will grow bigger. Steers will put on more weight for the feed they eat - up to their economic maximum.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Another reason is that a bunch of young bulls will breed the young heifers. I've also heard that the testosterone can affect the quality and taste of the meat, but I don't know from personal experience.

Jena

4. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

5. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

We always get a Holstein bull calf to raise for meat. Around here they are cheap and IMO the meat is very good. The first year we raised a holstein [very green] we did what everyone told us. Steer him, remove horns, etc. This was the meanest steer in the world. I hated that steer.

Well I decided that there must be a better way. The next calf we left intact and did not dehorn. Raised him till 18 months or so and off he went. Meat was excellent and this bull followed me like a puppy right on to the trailer when it was his time.

We just had our 4th bull butcherd last month. I personally will never band them or dehorn again. Yes, be cautious around a bull and do not keep them if they are starting to be aggressive but normally I think they gain weight faster and temprement wise there is not much of a difference if you butcher around 18 months. I would not go more then 18 months.