Homesteading Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the way another chooses to live their life?

EDITED TO ADD: I dont mean one should NOT have an opinion. (I could not change the title once I submitted it) But rather why must one insists that thier opinion be truth and condemn others for choosing differant ways.
For instance if you practice spanking and I dont why am I a bad mom, neglectful and you raising a wonderful child knowing right from wrong. Why does something like this cause such viciousness between posters? Why can an opinion not be posted and still remain respectfully to the other participants?

Be it how many children.
Be it how they discipline.
Be it how much money they have OR
whether they accept Gov assistance.
Be it where they live.
Be it religion.
Be it what they eat.
Be it their education.

AND when it involves their children it seems that far more act as though it is their right to condemn and brow beat more strongly.
I just cant see why!
Who has made you/them the authority?
I have also realized that if the person or group under fire comes back to say that it might be possible that you are the one in the dark or that it is only YOUR opinion the opposing side starts banding togeather like that makes their point more valid.
Again, I ask, what makes them think they have this higher place in life to dictate the way others should live?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have no clue why my choices are so open for discussion. But look at the thread the other day.......from one thing a person called into question my son's who personality, quality of life and general happiness. All from one comment I made about going to the movies. Unreal.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm trying real hard to obey Melissa and 'be nice', but I'm also having a real hard time with all the whiney people who are SO offended by anything they disagree with. I mean, WHERE is it written in the bible, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, The Rights Of Man, the Magna dang Carta that ANY of us have the right to be free from being offended? I will tell you, NOWHERE does anything state this. We are all so proud of our wonderful, diverse, multicultural and tolerant society.....NOT! Sure, there are those who demand tolerance, who demand that any and every belief system and world view is valid, but when someone tries to explain their own belief system, ho, heads start rolling because "I'M OFFENDED"! The tolerant it seems are not so tolerant after all. It's called hypocracy.

I see things every day that personally offend me. For example the girl out in public who wore such low-slung hip huggers that her pubic hair was visible, and she was with her mother (heard her call her 'mom'). I see people of color wearing 'Brown Power' shirts, but I know if I wore a 'White Power' shirt I'd be the racist. I am Christian but I hear people bash Christians every day even when they clearly have no idea of what they are talking about. I see people abusing animals and treating their children like dirt.

I'm offended by these things, but I also know that I have the option of IGNORING THOSE THINGS WHICH OFFEND ME AND NOT LET THEM GET ME INTO A DITHER! I choose not to rant and rave about every little thing that comes along that offends me. This is called maturity, and tolerance.

People just enjoy being offended, it gives them some sense of self-importance if they carry on about how offended they are and by trying to invalidate everyone else's beliefs or lifestyles. They demand tolerance but are incapable of being tolerant themselves, and they cannot even explain why that is.

Hey, just my two cents.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
blue8ewe said:
on the way another chooses to live their life?
Be it how many children.
Be it how they discipline.
Be it how much money they have OR
whether they accept Gov assistance.
Be it where they live.
Be it religion.
Be it what they eat.
Be it their education.
I wouldn't worry too much about what reactions you might read on a forum like this about those personal choices. It's still a free country where you can make your own choices about what religion or faith you hold with, what you wish to eat within the confines of public health and safety laws, and you can live where you wish, have kids or not, educate them where you wish, etc. The way one reacts to someone posting in a forum may be a sample of opinion, but it's still your life to lead how you want to. Remember also that many posting to a specific topic do so passionately, while many more probably don't post at all may be like a silent majority. :shrug:

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
I have an opinion on everything.

dont like it?
dont read it.

I can have an opinion on ANYTHING I choose.....

moreso, when its posted for discussion in public.

I ask, what makes them think they have this higher place in life to dictate the way others should live?
oh wait a whiney second..... having an opinion is different than dictating how you run your life....

I might tell you (often after you ask) "I think [insert something you do/did] sucks"

how is that DICTATING how you live?

learn to accept others criticism or stop posting on the internet.

oh wait "i think you should stop posting on the internetz"

we dont want you thinkin I was dictating.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Live and let live is my philosophy of life until I witness abuse and then I take action. Abuse of children, women or animals should never be tolerated.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
comfortablynumb said:
I have an opinion on everything.

dont like it?
dont read it.

I can have an opinion on ANYTHING I choose.....

moreso, when its posted for discussion in public.

oh wait a whiney second..... having an opinion is different than dictating how you run your life....

I might tell you (often after you ask) "I think [insert something you do/did] sucks"

how is that DICTATING how you live?

learn to accept others criticism or stop posting on the internet.

oh wait "i think you should stop posting on the internetz"

we dont want you thinkin I was dictating.

Yes, I hate the way the forum works. I reread my title and realized "opinion" is not the problem, it is the way many take their opinion and state it as fact ad insist that the opposite comply with thier reality.
I could not change it so we are stuck arguing ones right to an opinion.
BUT I dont argue that I have no issues with others opinions.
I have issues with others bashing me for haveing X # of children and insisting I am selfish, or stupid because I homeschool, or letting down my race because I chose to marry out side my ethnicity or You get the point.
These are my choices. Why does anyone else even care?
I dont go telling them to go get plastic surgery because they have a huge wart on thier face and it offends my scene of sight. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I have opinions. I am entitled to them. I am entitled to express them. Same with everybody else.

If someone has posted a comment or made a statement of opinion, that person should expect a response - you've actually invited it. Nobody has to like either the statement or the response. Nobody has to agree with it, either.

A disagreement isn't always an expression of disapproval, criticism or anger, or hatred or anything than that there is a disagreement of opinion. If people get upset or offended or hurt, it is THEY who have a problem - in attitude and response.

There are some very short fuses here at HT, and some very trigger-happy fingers, too. There are some who would argue about whether black is white just for the sake of an argument, and others who would believe the moon was made of green cheese if someone else told them so. There are those who wouldn't be offended if you hit them over the head with a meat-axe, and those who get offended if you sneeze from the other side of the world.

It takes all kinds to make the world go round. Variety is the spice of life. I don't see what all the fuss is about!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I understood her point. I knew she did not mean opinions in general but those who feel they have a RIGHT to tell me how many children I need to have...it is basically telling me how I should live my life in general. It isn't that every little thing offends me. It is the fact this misguided people think they have a RIGHT to poke their little noses in my personal life. There is no where in that Bible, Magna dang Carta and so on where it says......."Thee has the right to dictate to others how to live." They don't and I wish they'd stop. Cause it is annoying and it makes our other freedom's suffer for those who think they have the RIGHT to be nosy. Wouldn't it be nice if respect for others humans wasn't a choice but something we were all required to have. Wishful thinking.
I'm guessing the ones who want to dictate to me or anyone else how many children we can have are also ones who would revolt against me telling them how many guns they can have, how much land they can responsibly own , how much food they should only consume , how much they should have and so on. If they don't like those rights being trampled on then stop opening the flippin' food gates of dictating to people for heaven sakes. I don't like when people give me their opinion freely and shove it down my face but you know I will defend their right to speech even still.
Goodness....
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The good thing about all of this is.......you can't make me.
You can oppose it. You can scream it. You can insist that I stop and zip up my pants.
But at the end of the day...you can't make me.
I will continue to let my God bless me with how many ever children He wants.
You know why?
Cause I am free to do so.
Cause I am done debating the over population myth. If you don't think there should be more humans on this earth, then by all means I think you should not have any children. I am still free to make my own choice on the subject.
Tough noogies hon.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Yes, I know I can't make you, and I probably won't convince you by being angry. I'm just glad I'm allowed to be angry and you're allowed to ignore me.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
suburbanite said:
May I recommend an IUD? Simple procedure, no hormonal shifts, prevents conception,
suburbanite, an IUD does not prevents conception it allows conception but them prevents the embryo from properly implanting. In effect, it causes a very early, spontaneous abortion. So you have just advised Michele and others reading this thread to have monthly abortions to reduce world population. Was that your intention?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
suburbanite said:
Yes, I know I can't make you, and I probably won't convince you by being angry. I'm just glad I'm allowed to be angry and you're allowed to ignore me.
Finally something we agree on! :)
There is hope for us yet....LOL
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
746 Posts
Taking what is written down so personally is the problem in the first place.

When there is no way for people to add expression and inflection to there words then the reader is left to insert whatever emotion or tone that they themselves perceive.

This thread got jacked, just trying to get it back on topic.

Never take anything personal on an open forum. OH wait...
NEVER Take anything personal on an open forum how did I mean that? You just can't tell can you.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
I have opinions. Sometimes I express them. Sometimes not....especially when expressing them isn't going to make a spit of difference.

If I do express them, I really don't give a shake of a fat rat's tail if anyone agrees with me.

But then, I'm a cwabby ol' lady :D !

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Can only speak for myself; I live by the idea that if someone chooses to post something about themselves, be it their philosophy, their political stance, their choice or religion or not, their own options on anything in such a public place as an internet website they are asking for a response from others.

Response to a post is equal to my opinion, or my sharing someone else's opinion when I quote an outside source.

If you have a problem with other people sharing their opinions a sure way to avoid being subjected to them is to keep your own opinions to yourself.

I do often wish to point out that one person's rights end where another's begin.

Marlene

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Well, when all the paperwork is finalized, and I'm declared Grand Overseer of the Planet, only my opinion will count... :angel:

·
Broken Dreamer
2,320 Posts
Michele, how many children you have impacts everyone around you, not just yourself.
A couple not on welfare chooses to populate their home with love and children - how inconsiderate to everyone! :rolleyes:

So when I'm feeling particularly vindictive towards those with too big a family (more than 2 kids), I can contemplate how good the parents will feel when they get to watch most of their kids die as nature takes back what is hers and gets to the pruning of humanity that would have naturally occurred to the family back in the days before 'modern medicine'.
And the satisfaction you will feel! Hey, some parents here have already experienced "pruning" - sweet justice, eh?

So in your eyes, a person need have just 2 siblings to sometimes activate your vindictive feelings. Hope you don't ever make friends with someone only to find out they came from a large family. Because God knows they must not contribute enough to the world to justify their existance.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Expressing an opinion is just that. Nothing more. It doesn't make one an authority on anything. It doesn't mean the person expressing their opinion is telling someone else what to do. It is just an opinion.

It is what every person on the planet is entitled to.

If you don't want someones opinion on a subject, DON'T POST THINGS ON A FORUM where that is ALL you will get.

Could it be any more clear?

Pat

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.