Why not Rex Rabbits?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Laura Workman, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Pat mentioned on another thread that very few processors will accept Rex rabbits. Why is that, if they are a meat type rabbit?

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

They are harder to skin, especially older ones. I HATE skinning a rex and will not take them.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Is that because the skin is stuck on more tightly, or because it's more fragile, or some other reason? Thanks so much for your help. I'm trying to decide on a breed to raise for meat, and I so like the Rex fur.

New Zealands and Californians have the advantage in being far less cute and pretty, so I suppose they would be easier to kill - not an insignificant consideration!

How does the meat from the two breeds compare?

Thanks again!

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry for the delay in responding to this thread, as I've been extremely busy, lately. Trying, now, to get caught up.

Anyway... there are several reasons why few processors will accept Rex rabbits.

1. Many strains and/or lines of Rex rabbits carry "yellow" fat, which is a negative marketing aspect (yellow relates too easily with "rancid.")

2. Rex pelts are thicker and tougher to pull. Add in colored pelts and it's even tougher!

3. Too many Rex rabbits are slow growing and which, in turn, only increases the chances of unethical breeders trying to pass off over-aged rabbits as "fryers" in order to receive the premium fryer price. This was extremely common during the development of the Mini Rex. As such, it severely soured the processors from accepting Rex rabbits. They'd rather be safe than sorry.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee