Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,625 Posts
My Son was working for less than minimum wage two Illegals took his Job. When I was hiring I would run them off. One time I got couple Sheep for a Big Get Together. Yes I had a good time but these people took Jobs done by locals for years.

The only reason there is so many Jobs is the Government was paying them to stay home. Now they are using COVID while spreading it through out the country.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
What role did the Sheep play in the Big Get Together Rock?

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Absolutely.

About 100 years ago one of my Grandfathers came here as a farm worker. And, yes, he came here legally. If we need more workers then the gov.. SHOULD allow more people to come here legally: right now people often have to wait for decades, excepting for those on a temporary work permit!
Every year the Federal Government makes available work permits for migrant workers. These permits are available at US embassy and consulates in every country in the world. Only 25 percent of the permits are ever applied for.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,374 Posts
Every year the Federal Government makes available work permits for migrant workers. These permits are available at US embassy and consulates in every country in the world. Only 25 percent of the permits are ever applied for.
I don't believe that is true. The quotas are always filled early. There is always waiting list of workers that can't get a visa every year.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I don't believe that is true. The quotas are always filled early. There is always waiting list of workers that can't get a visa every year.
I have sat through many, many briefings by INS Officials and listened to them talk about the work permit system. So the facts don't really care what you believe.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,374 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
requesting U.S. workers received none.

So. What does that have to do with foreign migrant workers? The number of permits is based on the projected needs of the farms. If the number of applicants does not meet the number of workers needed, it isn't the fault of the permit system.

It is just easier to enter the country as an illegal, stay in an illegal flop house and get a job washing dishes, or hang around a lumber yard and work off the books, than it is to do the paper work and enter legally.

Reactions: Hiro

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,374 Posts
So. What does that have to do with foreign migrant workers? The number of permits is based on the projected needs of the farms. If the number of applicants does not meet the number of workers needed, it isn't the fault of the permit system.

It is just easier to enter the country as an illegal, stay in an illegal flop house and get a job washing dishes, or hang around a lumber yard and work off the books, than it is to do the paper work and enter legally.
I messed up good.. I quoted the wrong article and I am away from my computer right now. Will get back to you.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You are right the paper work and such is a bit hard for many Mexican folks who would like to work here. Most come in illegal to do farm work for about 4-5 mos. and then they return to Mexico. Some are taken and sent back. However if they have worked in U.S. more then 2 years and do move back and forward they are allowed to stay in Florida in the Citrus fields and work. Otherwise there would be no citrus in the markets. White American folks will not pick Citrus. The work is hard. Mexicans get paid by how much they pick. American can't do piece work in citrus fields as they can't pick enough to make a living plus it is very hard work. One Mexican man who is legal will be in charge of 20-25 workers. The big Cirus companies hire the legal worker to pick an area and he has the illegal workers pick the Citrus and pays them for their work. Most of the workers live in Campers and in small huts they put up. They do have good drinking water and on Sunday they go to town and do their shopping. I worked for the U.S. government for 10 years working with these folks. Most are happy to get the work and pay. Lot of Sugar cane workers also work in U.S. most are illegal. I like the Citrus i was allowed to pick for myself in the fields. Good ripe Citrus pick in the fields is a lot different then what you buy at the market.

·
Registered
898 Posts
So, you are saying that the illegals can pick enough fruit that it would be enough for an American to have a good standard of living?

If not, then it is a moot point. I doubt they are making a good American level wage either.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
You are right the paper work and such is a bit hard for many Mexican folks who would like to work here. Most come in illegal to do farm work for about 4-5 mos. and then they return to Mexico. Some are taken and sent back. However if they have worked in U.S. more then 2 years and do move back and forward they are allowed to stay in Florida in the Citrus fields and work. Otherwise there would be no citrus in the markets. White American folks will not pick Citrus. The work is hard. Mexicans get paid by how much they pick. American can't do piece work in citrus fields as they can't pick enough to make a living plus it is very hard work. One Mexican man who is legal will be in charge of 20-25 workers. The big Cirus companies hire the legal worker to pick an area and he has the illegal workers pick the Citrus and pays them for their work. Most of the workers live in Campers and in small huts they put up. They do have good drinking water and on Sunday they go to town and do their shopping. I worked for the U.S. government for 10 years working with these folks. Most are happy to get the work and pay. Lot of Sugar cane workers also work in U.S. most are illegal. I like the Citrus i was allowed to pick for myself in the fields. Good ripe Citrus pick in the fields is a lot different then what you buy at the market.
Do black American folks pick fruit or is it just white's that don't?

Yeah us Mexicans don't need much in the way of a real living wage, health care or safe working conditions, LOL.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So, you are saying that the illegals can pick enough fruit that it would be enough for an American to have a good standard of living?

If not, then it is a moot point. I doubt they are making a good American level wage either.
I am taking about field work now. Not other jobs. Most will have a family and young childen also picking Citru. They make a good wage

They make enough money that makes them happy much more than what they could make in Mexico. A lot of them has family with them. The whole family picks. Most make a good wage enough to work a few mos. in U.S. and go back to Mexico the rest of the year. I have worked with the government and also help these folks and also work with the large Citrus owners.
Have you been to So. Florida and talked to any workers or with any local folks about the workers from Mexico? Where are you from? I am sure you know nothing about farm workers from Mexico working in the U.S. Otherwise you would know a little about the Work people from other countries do here.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts

They are not buying a house in the suburbs. They are here for a few months, so they can feed a huge family back home in what ever third world dung heap they are from. If they don't like the wages, they can always stay home and starve to death. Why isn't their own government providing a stable safe environment for them to live, and work and take care of their family.

Because their government is too busy pocketing all the billions of dollars of aid we send to every third world dung heap. Then sending their overflow population up north, so they can work and send home more money. The largest single source of money for Mexico, isn't from their own farms, or even their oil fields. It is from money sent back to Mexico, by illegals working in the United States. The money illegals send back to Mexico fuels their entire economy.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I do know we used to pick beans and strawberries in the summer.

Also, having your whole family and young kids picking is not even a level playing field.

Can one illegal or legal husband and one illegal or legal wife pick enough to rent a house locally, buy a decent car, afford health insurance, pay for thier own food and retirement? Put away savings for emergencies?

If not, why would an American do the work.

It isn't that they can make a good wage, it is they are willing to work for much less than a person who lives here and must pay thier own way.

I might not know much about illegals farming, but I've seen it on the construction side for 25 years.

They live 8 to a room, eat at a sustinance level, are driven to and from work and send their money home.

I don't begrudge them trying to make money for their families. However, to say them and a working class American are equal as far as financial needs go is a non starter.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don't think the current situation is the same as it was years ago.
Hi Alice. It has changed a bit. However there are a lot more illegal coming in now than years ago. Of course there is a lot of auto factories along the Mexican , Ca. border that hire Mexicans. DT wanted to build a wall clear across the Mexican border to keep illegals out. LOL. I do visit Fl. and Ca. once a year to visit my Kids and friends. On the coast of Tx. there are many Mexican family that work and live there part time. There is no to keep up with the amount of Mexicans that ender the U.S. by land, sea and air. They would not come if there were no work for them here. Its that simple. I do have friends here that hire a few for a few months to put in crops and also to help harvest the crops. Most of them have Green cards and they may bring a friend or two to help on the farms.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts