Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Actually, the Bracero program was a good program aside from the living conditions. Today, as we know more, that part could change for the better. What killed the Bracero program? The UNIONS. Do your homework before posting how illiterate you are.

We in essence, do have open borders. Have job postings decreased?
Maybe you should do your homework and find out what really killed the program.

·
Registered
35,434 Posts
Actually, ALL migrant workers made the decision to live that life style. It was better than starving.
And minus our social programs, Americans might "want" to do field work.

Decisions, as you well know, are a factor of options.

Why would an illegal do back breaking labor in the US if our social programs offered them a lifestyle better than the hovel in Mexico?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Not sure what you mean, I have been up since 5.... :D

I haven't seen 100K sign on bonus anywhere, however, I have seen between 2500 and 10K. But you had to have some sort of qualifications (ie, a CDL A, with Hazmat, with a good driving record and be able to pass a drug screen, for the 10K) we are offering a $1K sign on (and $15/hr base) (with $500 referral bonus if a current employee recommends) for just getting getting hired full time (and we ONLY have 1 part timer out of 55 total, he works 30 hours per week and goes to college 1 day and was full time for 8 years. He's taking advantage of the 'frontliners education program').
They requirements to get hired?
Show up, on time for 90 calendar days.
NO drug test
NO skill set
Just show up, on time for 90 days

We can't even get that.
We just let 2 people go (both with 6+ years service) because they simply could not (or would not) show up for work. Not even on time. JUST showing up. 1 averaged 3 call in per pay period (2 weeks) 30% absenteeism.

He was given multiple (6 or 7) chances, put on probation, moved to a different shift (that he requested to be transferred to, having a co-worker pick him up.

NOPE still couldn't or wouldn't
Not you💙
I was referring to the OP

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,289 Posts
And minus our social programs, Americans might "want" to do field work.

Decisions, as you well know, are a factor of options.

Why would an illegal do back breaking labor in the US if our social programs offered them a lifestyle better than the hovel in Mexico?
The myth that ALL illegal immigrants are on the dole is part of the propaganda. The bulk of them in my neck of the woods are the bricklayers, roofers, painters, and sheet rock hangers.

·
Registered
35,434 Posts
The myth that ALL illegal immigrants are on the dole is part of the propaganda. The bulk of them in my neck of the woods are the bricklayers, roofers, painters, and sheet rock hangers.
I did not say they are on the dole

·
Registered
35,434 Posts
Nit picking again? I responded to the implication. :)
Actually, ALL migrant workers made the decision to live that life style. It was better than starving.
I'll let you explain why Americans or Illegals, or anyone would not do back backing work if they faced starvation since you want to twist my explanation.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
More than half of immigrants generally speaking. Illegal immigrants make up a large portion also. The illegal ones still manage to access various programs, some legally due to local and state rules, some illegally and “overlooked”.

Sad to see who the real workers are, it reflects poorly on our society.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
There is no reason to throw the borders open in order to fill agriculture jobs. Simply have a guest worker program. Workers needed could come in for whatever time period there was a job for them. They could earn their money and leave their wives and children at home in whatever country they came from and then return to their home with their savings when the job was done. No reason to hide out in the USA to prevent deportation when it is easy to cross back and forth with a legal permit..

If you open the borders and make it legal for all to come, you still won't have farm workers because as soon as they are legal, they get the same welfare as USA born citizens and there is no reason for them to do hard physical labor.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I am sure these $100K roles would not be filled by illegals crossing the border. Using absurd comparisons does not strengthen your argument.
Quite the opposite actually.

·
The Renegade...
2,159 Posts
I was born into a life of migrant labor. Both maternal and paternal families were migrant workers and so was I from as early as I can remember. As a matter of fact, my first memory of life was of working in a potato field barefoot!!!
To say that illegals do jobs that Americans won’t do is bull****.
Open borders would bring an end to National Sovereignty and Security.

You need to put down the crack pipe and walk away.

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
I have a solution. For every illegal the Biden administration lets into the country, we get to deport one person of our choice.
Can we choose someone who is a citizen?

Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
I have a solution. For every illegal the Biden administration lets into the country, we get to deport one person of our choice.
I really like that idea!

Reactions: RJ2019
21 - 40 of 94 Posts