Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, we got us a new dog here last month. always had dogs. not LGDs. last time we had this problem was 15 years ago. took awhile to figure it out, but once we did, we could predict the fights like clockwork. pretty sure I've got the same problem now with the new dog. it's manageable. but, thought I'd hop on here and share in case it helped anyone else out.

the just of it is, when a female (person) in the family has her period the dogs will likely fight. had a female shepherd for a few years. good family dog, very much momma's dog. someone dumped a mostly shepherd mutt out on the backroads last month near us. so, he's adopted us. good dog also, but I got my period a few days ago and they started going at it a bit. had themselves a doozy yesterday afternoon out on the back porch shortly after I got home. last night it dawned on me what was happening. when I told hubby, he's like, duh, silly I caught on to that a couple of days ago :)

anyway, years ago we had a shepherd mutt, hound mutt, and pitbull. as soon as they were all young adult/adult age, we had the same situation. they were fine, until one of the girls came home when she had her period. then, we had to watch. they'd fight each other to run the others off from being near her.

we'd keep an eye on them to keep things settled down or just separate them --one in one out, or similar for a few days to keep the peace.

we didn't get rid of them because there were no other problems with behavior, trustworthiness, etc. seems to be the same things again with these two now. great dogs, very keen to alert us to visitors, very loving with the kids, etc. but, i'll have to watch the next few months and see if I really have the same problem again.

like I said, been through it before. thought I'd just put it here in case it helped out anyone else. anyone else seen this with their pooches?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Makes sense when you consider the fact that dogs look at humans as being funny looking members of their pack. Then there is pack alphas, for instance with our 5, they consider our 10 year old border collie as alpha but then they also look at their 'human pack members' as being alpha over the alpha. Gets confused and jumbled at times, but having dogs in my life for 61 years I've learned the importance of them looking at me as alpha.

Our two oldest females were having fights last year. These two are the best of friends and never fight but suddenly, the oldest and most docile of the two was tearing into the border collie. It dawned on me finally what was going on. The border collie, alpha, was correcting the two puppies that were dumped on us doing the usual muzzle bite that momma dogs do to babies when they push the limits a bit. When one of the 8 mo old pups whimpered, Grandma dog (in her mind) came flying to their defense.

So it really isn't surprising to think that dogs would have the same instinctive protection instincts with human females of breeding age. Protect them from 'outside influences' and threats.

The girls, are after all, members of their pack and must be protected.

That's why one of my favorite sayings is 'Proudly owned by 5 dogs'.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, the dogs started acting on edge about 3 or 4 days ago around our chickens. then the new dog (male) decided to try and get in our bed the other night---they aren't allowed on the beds, and that's not a usual problem.

Yesterday, I get my period, and the new dog goes out and kills 2 chickens. And, tonight, they (new male, old female) get into a fight at the food bowl in the kitchen.

They went all month just fine. No problems. Then, just it starts again right before my period and during. My female shadows me everywhere I go even more than usual. And, the male gets frustrated keeping his distance. They get territorial over food and livestock.

Anyway, I'm gonna continue to see how this plays out going forward. But, sure as shooting, seems like I got me another set of fighters when the women are having their time of the month.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not with mine. The only rhyme or reason to my two Anatolian/GP females fighting is just seeing each other. They simply hate each other, they were littermates and started fighting at 4 months old. Both get along fine with my male Anatolian, my neutered JRT mix, and my now deceased neutered Kelpie. They just hate and try to kill each other.

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
Thanks for the info, makes sense to me.
It's good to know that this ole dog isn't just imagining that things go crazy for those few days every month.....:D

Reactions: gibbsgirl

·
Registered
953 Posts
So, what is the theory....? The smell of blood makes dogs fight? Or is there some thought that this is hormonal, and dogs are somehow anticipating human ovulation two weeks later and are competing for inter-species breeding opportunities? I guess I'm a skeptic if there is any sort of hormone/pheromone theory involved. My dogs don't ever fight, in general, but I've certainly never noticed any difference in their behavior by my, or my daughters' hormonal changes.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a theory. we've had a couple dozen dogs in my lifetime. Most of them I've never had this issue. We've just had it happen before and we've having it again now. Just wrote about it on here to share and hear others thought and experiences.

I don't know if it's hormonal, pheromones, territorial, something else.

I can tell you that years ago it was a group of 3 dogs, all male. it was at my MIL house where we all were young and moved in and out and frequently came over for free meals. She was with the dogs 24/7 and basically saw what was happening and caught on so we knew to watch it. The dogs could have cared less about all the girls unless it was right before or during their time of the month.

Never had any experience like that again. Except now it seems suspiciously like it may be the same thing happening now with different dogs. As far as why, I have no idea for sure. I just figured it was interesting to us at home, and I was curious if anyone had any similar experiences or had any answers to share.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I would assume that rather than a dog being affected by the actual menstrual period, it is rather from the change in the human having the period. i have owned dogs, male and female, my whole life. I have never, ever, had a male dog react to my monthly period. I have worked around animals my whole life, including at three zoos in this country, and the only animals that have reacted to a human menstrual cycle are monkeys, gorillas, etc. I would think that your dog is reacting to your own behavior changes during that time of the month more so than your actual period.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
I agree with aoconnor1 as I've had dogs all my life and not once have I had any of them (male or female) react to my harmonal changes.

Us females do go thru physical changes during those times of the month and, speaking for myself, it certainly does affect my moods and energy.

I would suspect at those times the females in your home simply do not appear as potent to your dogs as they do at other times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts