Why is there blood in the milk, again?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BiGtImEfArMeRs4, Apr 29, 2005.

1. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

We have a Saanen doe that was born in March of 2001. She first had kidded with a single doe, last year. Then we weaned the doe and we just milked her twice a day. She did'nt want to stand right, so we just figured her bag had been sore. She kidded last year on April 4. In August, when I was milking her, I noticed there was blood in the one side only. The side with blood dried up, but the other side, without the milk kept on milking. Now this year, she was due to kid on March 7, but she delivered a premature buck on February 16. She had bagged up and everything though. Now last night when I milked her, April 28, she was fine, no blood. Now this morning when I milked her, April 29, she had blood on the same side that she dried up on and had blood in last year. What is going on? Is there something we can do to help her? Any help or advice would be appreciated veryyyy much, as she is also a pet.
    Thanks!
    Heather

2. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

Okay, I milked her tonight and the milk is fine. What is going on??
    Heather

3. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Hi Heather,
    If this goat is a high producer(gallon a day or more)and the milk just turns pink,it is normal.If the milk is stringy or clots it is mastitis and needs attention immediately.Her udder may be hard(like a baseball)and very hot if mastitis.If it is hard and otherwise normal just keep milking and massaging.Keep milking her out completely in any case.Good luck.
    jamie's DH

4. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

Hi Jamie's DH,
    Thanks! No her bag is not hard or hot. So if it happens again, there is nothing to worry about?
    Thanks so much!
    Heather

5. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    It is normal for milk to be pink for awhile just after freshening.Little blood vessels rupure from sudden pressure from the milk.Test her for mastitis to be sure.Get some test strips from a local dairy store/hardware and follow directions.If she tests positive,get naxal from your vet and give her 3ml once a day.Its pricey but it works great.Chances are she will be just fine,ours were.
    Hugh

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

even after freshening they can have a day or so with pink , and it can still not be mastitis , roughhousing, or a surge in production , or even cominginto her cycle can cause this , hormone flucuations, i look for other signs for mastitis, hot tender bag, funny looking milk, etc .

knock on wood, but i have only dealt withactual diagnosed mastitis in a doe 1 time in all the years i have owned goats .