Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not goofing around. I bought a box of vanilla ice cream from Aldi (twice). My freezer is plenty cold, but this stays soft enough to scoop easily. What's that about?

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Look at the ingredients. I'll bet it has guar gum. There was an internet meme recently on the ice cream cookie bars from Walmart retaining their shape in heat rather then melting into a puddle. The adulteration with cheap gums is enough that the structure remains.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have notice that homemade ice cream is a lot harder than store brought, I like both. Even as a kid I liked to take a turn turning the ice cream so much fun and laughs.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Softer ice cream means you'll scoop it easier, eat it faster and eat more of it. That means they will sell more of it.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Eww! I can't stand mushy ice cream, and to think it's due to guar gum or, even worse, antifreeze!?! Whenever I eat ice cream, I always eat it so fast I get a headache, lol, but I seriously can't stand it once it gets mushy, I'll just throw it out.

So now they're doing to make it that way on purpose? Not for me! If they do that to my Blue Bell, I'll go totally back to homemade. I'd rather break the scoop or my wrist than eat that junk, hock ptooey!

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
The less expensive ice creams ARE full of air bubbles and will be softer to scope.
Premium brands are less likely to have that same air in them and will be a lot harder.
The ones I buy I have to use a Butter Knife to Cut out the amount I want.
But have had lesser prices ones and yes they are a lot softer to scoop.
A lot better if you are scooping into a cone etc.
But you buy the high end priced ones and you sure will have a it a Lot HARDER as I had a very hard time getting even a small amount out of a small container of Håågen-Dazs as once in awhile I like to have a "Special" Treat. LOL
And the OP was about "Store Brand" Ice Cream. That is less in price, so BINGO, it is less in price, and will have small air bubbles throughout the ice cream.

And as a Side Note to this post.
The air bubbles in ice cream and why and how come they are there were explained on "The Food Channel" that I watch a special on ice cream just a few days ago. LOL

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Ironic that I'm surrounded by dairy farms and don't eat dairy foods very often. Us old coots have a stomach intolerance with most dairy products including ice cream. We eat frozen fruit ices, popsicles, or do without.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Centrella and I believe Schoeps make a chocolate malt ice cream. One of my favorites. Sometimes I add a little more milk and give it a spin and pour in a glass. Otherwise I buy premium ice cream like Breyers. Don't like the cheap stuff. Will go without first.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
I guessed that air being pumped into the final mix made it softer and then I asked my resident guru as he has been in the dairy industry a long time.

He said it depends on the added ingredients.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I guessed that air being pumped into the final mix made it softer and then I asked my resident guru as he has been in the dairy industry a long time.

He said it depends on the added ingredients.
Yes that is what they explained on The Food Channel making it softer and lots of tiny air bubbles. Good High Quality ice cream is not is not like that. And they are lots harder then the lower priced often store brand ice cream.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It is nothing harmful, they just whip it up to give you more air and less ice cream per quart.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Some does depend upon the temperature of the ice cream.

We have two freezers, one a small deep freeze and one a very small freezer above the rv refrigerator. The one above the rv refrigerator is not as cold as the larger deep freeze.

The ice cream (same kind and brand) coming out of one is always significantly softer than when it comes out of the other. The coldest is always the hardest.

Just saying...

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
True as it isn't even a quart anymore. A 2 "Quart" container of ice cream is now 1.75 quarts Or 1.65L
Not if you buy Blue Bell, it's still full size!

Reactions: DamnearaFarm
1 - 20 of 21 Posts