Why is my corn stunted?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by .:Becca:., Jul 11, 2005.

1. .:Becca:.

.:Becca:. Well-Known Member

Our corn seems to be SOO much smaller than everybody elses corn (I know.... garden envy). What would cause corn to grow extremely slow and not get very big before it starts producing small ears. Is there anything I can put on it now to get it going? We prefer organic, but at this point I'll take any tips, lol :help:

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Some strains of corn are naturally smaller or taller than others. Do the plants otherwise look healthy? Are they in nice fertile ground? It also needs lots of water at just the right stages of growth.
    mary

3. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

Corn does need a lot of water. You can use fish emulsion. The Native Americans would put a fish in the hole when they planted corn. (That's a lot of work.) Hope this helps.

4. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

What variety of corn are you planting? Does it look green and healthy otherwise?

5. .:Becca:.

I think we planted Golden Jubalee. It does look healthy in every other way, but just midget like, kwim? We've been giving it alot of water and lots of fertilizer (rabbit & other manure and compost).

It's just weird that we always get midget corn, kwim?

6. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I can't find Golden Jubilee in my seed catalogs. Do you still have the seed packet? How many days to picking?

I grow a very early variety and it is real short with smaller ears. That way it is done before the dry season sets in. Perhaps you unknowingly are picking an early corn to grow. Ask the neighbor's what they are growing.

7. .:Becca:.

Ok, I was wrong, we planted bodatious corn. Sorry, lol.

8. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Okay I found it. It's an early corn so that means it will have shorter stalks and smaller ears than the longer growing varieties. Nothing wrong with it just smaller. Neighbors are probably growing the later varieties. Next year try growing more than one variety for a longer season. I used to grow an early corn for eating (2 rows for pollination), then a good canning/freezing mid season corn (6-8 rows) , a late yellow (one row), and last, a late white ( one row). Last two rows crossed and gave me a mixture of bicolor, all white and all yellow. Now you can buy crossed but then you couldn't.