Why is it 61 outside but 58 in my house?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jeannie242, Nov 9, 2004.

1. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

What am I doing wrong. I have put up plastic on my windows, doors are closed.
    But its warmer outside. Isn't this messed up?
    What else can I do to warm up the inside? Thanks Jeannie

2. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Insulation will cause the house to stay at a cooler temp even when it's warmer outside. Open the shades and curtains and let the sun in. It'll warm up!

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

thats like my house... its like a thermos bottle. if it gets cold at night and I let it chill, in the sunny morning its a balmy 60 or so and inside its 55 or thereabouts... noticeably colder.

but it also holds heat for a long time too.

I agree, BIG windows on the sunrise side heats better than the furnace or stove somedays!

try ceiling fans running on LOW all night to keep the air moving and you wont get cold spots.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A tub full of hot water heats a house more than you would believe. Try letting the tub fill when you shower, and leave it until it is cold. I did this when the power was off and it raised the temp a few degrees.

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

So what time of day was this at. If it was in the morning or early afternoon this would happen very easily. Insulation will keep a house cold just as easily as it will keep it warm.

6. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Same basic answer as others. Insulation works both ways. Is the sun shineing in your house? If you let it get cold, and your insulated, it'll stay cold. Never turn yer heat off completly in winter and try to maximise solar gain. You don't say what yer doing, so we don't know what yer doing wrong...............

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Turn off the air conditioner, and turn up the furnace.

8. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

What I am doing is...We have covered our windows with plastic, its not got colder than 58 in the house yet, so I haven't had the heat on.
    Luckly I am warm blooded and it takes a lot to get me cold. But today at about noon, it was a sunny 61 outside, and 58 inside.
    I did open the blinds and let the sun shine in and it helped a bit.
    It just seemed to me that inside it would be warmer.
    With the price of propane this year, I am really trying to save money.
    So I have looked at every way to heat. I do have a small 4 room house so i don't have a lot to heat. Thanks Jeannie

9. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

What a wonderful idea! That's terrific. Thank you. Humid air can feel warmer or cooler than dry air, depending on the actual temperature. I think it's terrific. I'll start with my shower in the morning.

10. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I just love Uncle Will!

11. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Here is an idea if you have a dryer with a flexible dryer hose. Let it vent into the house. Just put an old pair of knee high hose over the dryer hose end to catch lint and let it help heat your house. You will have to remove the knee highs and clean them every few loads, but you get an amazing amount of heat from that little hose. Don't leave home though with the dryer running! During the cooler days, my dogs will lay under the exhaust when it is vented to the outside and let the warm air blow on them!

Sidepasser