why in the world do I want a 4th dog?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by SherryR, Dec 13, 2006.

1. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Do you all feel the pull of getting another dog? It's not the 'acquiring' thing, like in your youth, when you had to have everything--more more more. I think my dogs are work, but they are also fun, and part of my family.
    My husband is the other end of the spectrum. He tolerates them, and sometimes likes them. Sometimes he doesn't. I'm sure I wont get a 4th ( the 3rd was a real chutzpa for me to pull off-- spent a good deal of our marriage apologizing for whatever pet I would bring homein the last 20 years. It hasn't been that many).
    I love my dogs; it's expensive, fun, frustrating, enjoyable. These guys all sleep in the mud room at night, come in & out durng the day. On very cold nights, they sleep in kitchen. Ho w do you all manage a multi dog household? I'm not talking about working dogs;mine are 'workless' (dont work) dogs. (not worthless to me)
    Sherry

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup...I feel the pull every time I see a stray dog on the side of the road. Guess that's why we're up to nine now!

How do we manage? Not sure we do! Hubby always says this house is as much the animals' home as it is ours. This is why we did not install carpeting downstairs, why we do not stress out over cat/dog hair everywhere and why we are painting our interior walls a darker brown color.

I think the key to making a multi animal household work is routine and a laidback attitude.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I have 4 dogs now. Im hoping to get a female Maremma this Spring. I TELL myself I really NEED another one, but I think I just like fluffy white puppies!

4. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

I would say no way. I'm an animal lover, would keep anything. But with dogs... they enjoy a lot of one on one loving, they NEED to be walked (2 is hard enough let me tell you).
    Two dogs fit in my truck and 3 won't.
    I would think 4 dogs would be alright for some people, but I need a bit of time for myself too, not always worrying what they're up to.

5. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

we have a year old catahoula and a 11 year old schnauzer. We just added a 10 week old rottie cross. It's all I do right now. keeping the peace and feeding, walking, and mopping up from what ever they make a mess of.
    We use crates for the younger ones which means we are crate training the puppy. We did figure out if we put the doors of the 2 crates together the pup thinks she is sleeping next to the catahoula and so she cries for just minutes compared to most of the night like the catahoula did when he was little.

6. Lynnette

Lynnette Michigan Hobby Farmer

Training, respect and love, going both ways.

I train my dogs, but they train me as well, they teach me what they need and I teach them what I expect. I respect that they too are individuals with their own personalities and some days one will need more love and comforting then another and some days one will need more excercise and walks then the others. Most of all, lots of hugs and kisses all the way around, I tell them I love them and they have their own way of telling me the same. Most of all there has to be boundaries, I am and always will be "alpha dog", my word and my command are law.

The youngest still sleeps in his crate because he thinks the world is his chew toy, and he eats in his crate because he gets so distracted while eating with the other dogs that he forgets that he is supposed to be having breakfast and not playing, meanwhile the other dogs have made several attempts to eat his food and theirs. I supply lots of different toys to suit everyone's interests and healthy treats and food.

Also, like Ravenlost said, I respect them as part of the family and make special indoor accomodations for them and don't mind the dog hair. If company complains about hair I tell them that the dogs live here they don't, deal with it or don't come back, chances are I don't like their kids either. :p

7. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

We have 3, and I want another one every time I see one that needs a home. My fiance doesn't feel the same pull (although the other day he DID see a whole litter of wiggly pit bull pups at the vet's office and wanted to come home with one :p ), and he would rather have 2 dogs than 3, if they're going to live in the house, which they do.

The only thing keeping me from really pining for more is that I know new dogs are a lot of work, and require a lot of attention, and our work schedules are too busy to give the dogs we already have the time they really deserve. We walk them, since we don't have a fenced yard, and it's not all that fun trying to walk 3 dogs that all want to go different directions. Still, when I see the dogs on the euthanasia list at the pound, or the dogs that have been sitting in a shelter for ages, my heart just aches for them, because I know we could give them a good life, if not an ideal one. Someday we'll have more room and more time, and then I suspect we'll be just like Ravenlost (who I consider to be a real, honest-to-God angel). :angel:

8. peacebaker

peacebaker Well-Known Member

I grew up with two dogs at a time, started out accidentally and my parents kept up the habit I think because it was easier on the kids (and them) when we lost one.

Now my guy is a VERY happy only dog, he has dog friends but makes it clear he's glad when it's time for them to go home :)

I have started thinking about another dog, I think to ease myself into losing my 10 year old, but as much as I can make the "second puppyhood" argument I know in my heart he doesn't want competitions. Oh well, if it's meant to be it's meant to be! Maybe a dog will stumble into our lives (though I have to admit, if I had Ravenlost's luck I would probably start averting my eyes to the side of the road, LOL)

9. housewife

housewife Well-Known Member

I feel the pull all the time. Right now there is 1 dog, 2 cats, 5 hamsters, 2 teenagers and an almost teen in the house. My DH says he too the promotion so he wouldn't travel and I wouldn't be tempted to bring any more pets home. Just cause he was out of the country when 1 cat, 1 dog and most of the hamsters came home! Unforunately now non of our animals are young and it's killing me to think how old everyone is. The dog has really bad HD and a bad knee, 1 of the cats is old and getting very slow. Now that everyone is having problems we can't really go any were and can't ask anyone to look in on them as it's too much work. Not that I would trade them for anything. They give lots of love and my world would be empty with out them.