Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my wife worked in the Prison Hospital I was always afraid of HIV even though they took precautions.

Then other day treating a Guy in a fight. Broken Nose and Lots of Blood. Simple open it where he can breath. Treating him, girl walks up did anyone tell you he has Hepatitis and HIV? :confused: :umno:No Gloves, nothing. She is trained for EMT.

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
if she doesn't wear gloves, that's a whole nother subject. so, she didn't...and seems it didn't bother her. so again......why does it bother you? sure, it could be major yuk. but she doesn't care. lol

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buddy, you have far too much time on your hands. How about you clean the house~~dust the furniture, clean the bathroom~~stuff like that!

;) :D
Still don't answer my question and it worries her too, she brought it up. I have no Immune System as is.

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if she doesn't wear gloves, that's a whole nother subject. so, she didn't...and seems it didn't bother her. so again......why does it bother you? sure, it could be major yuk. but she doesn't care. lol

It was an Emergency they didn't have Gloves if she had known I don't believe she would have touched the Guy. Like she said what done is done time will tell.

big rockpile

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
When my wife worked in the Prison Hospital I was always afraid of HIV even though they took precautions.

Then other day treating a Guy in a fight. Broken Nose and Lots of Blood. Simple open it where he can breath. Treating him, girl walks up did anyone tell you he has Hepatitis and HIV? :confused: :umno:No Gloves, nothing. She is trained for EMT.

big rockpile

Pretty poor training me thinks, all the EMT's i know have their bags and on top are the gloves.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty poor training me thinks, all the EMT's i know have their bags and on top are the gloves.

She no longer works EMT but Homeland Security and she is only Part Time just something they came up on.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Sometimes in an emergency * even though you know all about universal precautions * you just end up with your ungloved hands deep in somebody's body fluids. You wash up well, check your hands for broken skin, go to the ER if warranted, and hope for the best.

Our clinic had sops in place to cover this sort of occurrence, maybe the prison has the same?

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
My DH is a forensic toxicologist. He works with bodily fluids every single day and has no idea what might be in them. He once opened a vial of blood and it exploded everywhere. I was pregnant at the time and he was just freaking out about it. He gets himself tested at least once a year for things.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
so I'm still curious why you're happy she is out of the prison thing and in to health care if this is what happens?

did I miss something? is this better then?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so I'm still curious why you're happy she is out of the prison thing and in to health care if this is what happens?

I was Happy when she quit the Prison because of this and EMT work. I was worried about her when she worked Home Health Care after a Client tried to rape her.

She is Semi Retired now working with Homeland Security, working what is to be Part Time office work, two days a week. But because of her Emergency and Computer knowledge they have been wanting her to work more. Which she has no intentions of doing.

Every so often she is out of the office, which she don't mind if it's a meeting or something. She has been involved with Mock Emergencies and every so often when the real thing should arise.

This was something totally unexpected and in truth if she had been out on her own she would have done the same, just something to keep in mind. I have helped out with Car Wreaks with plenty of Blood and no I didn't think about it. What is bad if certain Emergencies come up because of my knowledge and I have certain equipment the Director said he would consider giving me a call :eek: Pretty bad since I told him some Guys under him had no idea what they was doing. In the past I have helped out Sheriffs Department and Forestry.

big rockpile

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
prayers that she is fine and everything is ok-
this sounds so scary- sorry she had to deal with this!!!

·
Administrator
19,424 Posts

I think his point is that it's quite ironic that after having worked in a dangerous environment and having moved into a less dangerous line of work, his wife was exposed to two very serious diseases.

I think that Big Rockpile has every right to worry about his wife and would imagine everyone here would worry about their spouse if they were in the same situation.

I might be mistaken but get the impression that Tina happened on the situation as a civilian and just jumped in to help which sounds like she's a humanitarian rather than a poorly trained EMT.

Perhaps, Tina and Big Rockpile deserve a but of empathy and kind thoughts v

·
Registered
438 Posts
Working with the prison population in ICU in years past, it is well known they are rampant with TB and HIV...a good thing to note is treat everyone as though they are positive...I had many, many years in healthcare before gloves became a noticeable thing to wear...to even find in the facility....I understand your concern, and she should get tested..they have protocols for this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts