Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Only partially true Walmart hauls only a small portion of their inbound freight

And they don't haul any of their grocery that's all contracted.
I have a buddy that has his own truck, he works for a company and all he does is haul Tyson products from Tyson plants to Walmart.
Just drops and picks up trailers owned by Tyson.
Plus the occasional load of by product to dog food plants.

·
Registered
695 Posts
California will still only allow brand new trucks belonging to large companies to move goods in California. If they would let some independent operators in there, the goods would start to flow, freeing up parking space so there was room to unload all the ships which are waiting
I have read this before, but not from any truly reputable source (if such a thing exists).

Anyone got a source for this (possibly incorrect rumor)?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have read this before, but not from any truly reputable source (if such a thing exists).

I'll look for a source for you...but basically California has some crazy, BS emissions standards that typically weren't on trucks from before then. And the parts to make older trucks compliant are EXPENSIVE.
Gotta keep that air clean, Doncha know. . . .

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

Here's what I found, please note the date is 2019 on this article. It says trucks older than 6 years have to pass their smog checks (passenger vehicles have to get inspected every 2 years and pass smog or the commies won't let you register it). So on trucks older than 6 years (2013 by this article) you have to somehow make the truck compliant with draconian smog standards, just like cars. And trust me, getting a vehicle to pass smog if it fails a smog check is a MAJOR and expensive headache. OMG

·
Registered
37,573 Posts
I do not belive this.

"To attribute the problems of today to this mandate is not accurate," Miguel Jaller Martelo, co-director of the Sustainable Freight Research Program at the University of California-Davis, said in an email. "I would concentrate more on low wages, and new shipping trends that resulted from shifts in demand and consumption patterns during COVID."

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The last localish investigative report I heard (on the radio, KFI - LA station) - and it was awhile ago - was that it was a union thing. Apparently all of the union workers had agreed to work overtime to get the cargo unloaded/sorted except for the warehouse workers. So they were bottlenecking because there was no place for the people working the overtime to put the sorted cargo.

Which would also explain the reports of trucks just idling in line that keep coming out.

Duck and Google suck anymore so I can't find that particular little news blurb, if it was ever a written story. It was the station's newsman who was doing the investigating.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I think the ports need to be moved, stop using cali's ports and I think we could see some results. I know this has been discussed before and it would be an inconvenience but sometimes getting better results involves inconveniences

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I think the ports need to be moved, stop using cali's ports and I think we could see some results. I know this has been discussed before and it would be an inconvenience but sometimes getting better results involves inconveniences

We should just dig a moat around California and quit even considering it as having any real positive benefit to the nation.

California, good in, dog crap out.

• Love
Reactions: RJ2019

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
We should just dig a moat around California and quit even considering it as having any real positive benefit to the nation.

California, good in, dog crap out.
There is enough water in Cali for a moat??? Not to mention moving all those mountains be kinda tricky.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
As to empty shelves.... havent seen that, just high prices. Eggs for example have really zoomed. If anybody worried about shortages, maybe you should plant a bigger garden next spring. You own land, not such a big deal. However you rent during housing shortage and you dont have space for garden nor money to buy food after landlord gets his cut.

Reactions: Wanda

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
There is enough water in Cali for a moat??? Not to mention moving all those mountains be kinda tricky.
Alright... Just nuke the San Andreas Fault and it would slide right out into the Pacific.

Present company excluded.

It could kinda be like Abraham looking for 50 righteous men in Sodom and Gomorrah.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
Alright... Just nuke the San Andreas Fault and it would slide right out into the Pacific.

Present company excluded.

It could kinda be like Abraham looking for 50 righteous men in Sodom and Gomorrah.
Perhaps there are only 5?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Perhaps there are only 5?

Well, if you will recall, Abraham bargained with the Lord regarding Sodom and Gomorrah and got the total reduced from fifty down to to five and was still not successful.

So... Okay, we can go with five.

But we are talking about California, so, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Danaus29

·
STILL not Alice
22,646 Posts
Here's an interesting take on the situation.

Soylent Green, anyone?

·
Registered
136 Posts
we havent noticed too many shortages here. but the prices!! holy crap! yesterday the things i noticed were a small bag of mandarin oranges..didnt notice the weight, 9.99!! 30 pack of miller lite 29.99! store brand gallon of 2% milk, 4.59..those are ridiculous prices for this area.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I was at my grocery store yesterday and really noticed some gaps. Almost all frozen and canned fish products were gone, and there were signs up saying it was the result of shipping delays. I'd noticed less canned fish for awhile, now there's almost none. Fresh beef selections were sparse and so were pork. Lots of chicken. Fresh produce bins were full as usual and the quality was good. Lots of dairy - milk, yogurts cheeses. Loots of bread options. Cooking oil shelves were less than 1/3 full and the prices have jumped, nearly 30% from what I bought nearly a year ago. There were other spots that seemed full until you saw that all the packages were pulled to the very front of the shelves and there was little behind them.

41 - 60 of 119 Posts