Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After being chastised for not including adequate information in the OP by several in the comments section, I decided to flesh out the OP.

The following is a link to a video.

I am incapable of typing 60 WPM with a more than 98% accuracy rate in order to completely transcribe a transcript from audio, nor am I capable of putting up a succinct synopsis that would please even those who would gripe if they were hung with a new rope.

If you are curious, move your cursor to the link below, left click, adjust the volume and watch the video like I did.

If you feel inclined to comment, please feel free to do so in the comments section below.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Regards

Link

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
The only thing I've seen in short supply was Gatorade...

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
they are empty because no body is stocking them! Oh!

the stores here have been out of canned cat food and most litter for a while, months now.
also, 1/2 and 1/2 and some chips/crackers/breads/ from time to time those shelves are empty
paper goods have been hit or miss for 2 years now

yesterday I noticed lighters and batteries near the registers = all gone.

ironically, they have brand new stock of valentines day candy and decor......

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
The rule in the past was that you need to either explain what the link is about or quote some of it. Don't know if that still stands.
It does.
That's why we now have another poster who now always writes 'synopsis' when he posts things from Yahoo. A few months ago this was brought up....

I read from different sites on the web in the AM. If I wanted to read the many posts from Yahoo, lets say, I'd just go there.

General chat and the dark room are getting to be like the site Lucianne.com

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
According to the video: Omicrom causing worker shortages coupled with the already thready supply chain issues. People cooking more meals at home (?). Winter weather.

Store shelves here in my neck of southern California are looking like they were during the worst of the lock down shortages. Went to the grocery a few days ago and there were exactly three packages of egg noodles on an otherwise empty pasta shelf. The fresh vegetable area was almost completely bare. Sporadic weirdly specific empty shelves throughout and much reduced choice on aisles that had some things (the chip aisle was a nightmare - no Ruffles! Couldn't find Dr. Pepper in preparation for a visit from a Dr. Pepper fiend).

Target last night looked much the same in the grocery area. Browsed through the pharmacy section while my daughter tried to find a substitute for her very specific fancy shampoo, and the cold/flu shelves were totally empty. The pain relief aisle had some things but not much.

Cue the panic buying.

·
Registered
22,209 Posts
According to the video: Omicrom causing worker shortages coupled with the already thready supply chain issues. People cooking more meals at home (?). Winter weather.

Store shelves here in my neck of southern California are looking like they were during the worst of the lock down shortages. Went to the grocery a few days ago and there were exactly three packages of egg noodles on an otherwise empty pasta shelf. The fresh vegetable area was almost completely bare. Sporadic weirdly specific empty shelves throughout and much reduced choice on aisles that had some things (the chip aisle was a nightmare - no Ruffles! Couldn't find Dr. Pepper in preparation for a visit from a Dr. Pepper fiend).

Target last night looked much the same in the grocery area. Browsed through the pharmacy section while my daughter tried to find a substitute for her very specific fancy shampoo, and the cold/flu shelves were totally empty. The pain relief aisle had some things but not much.

Cue the panic buying.
The shortages must be regional for some reason. It can't be due to a shortage of products or it would be nationwide. As TripleD noted, Gatorade was the only shortage here too for a couple weeks but it is now back in stock. Walmart stores and other grocers in this whole area are very well stocked.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The shortages must be regional for some reason. It can't be due to a shortage of products or it would be nationwide. As TripleD noted, Gatorade was the only shortage here too for a couple weeks but it is now back in stock. Walmart stores and other grocers in this whole area are very well stocked.
From what I'm reading/seeing, it's being blamed mostly on a worker shortage as people are out with Covid, thrown in with the supply chain still being a problem.

It's probably exacerbated in high population areas, I'd assume.

ETA: Things are getting weird all over here. Traffic has been way down, which makes me assume people either aren't going to work or are going back to working from home. Already mentioned the stores being bare. Fast food/restaurants are closing early or just closing temporarily due to lack of employees. I'm sure there are other things I've not noticed, but it's looking like spring of 2020 all over around here.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have not been out for a big shopping run in a while so I don't know how it is here, but the last few times I've gone for fresh foods some of produce at two different stores should have been removed and not for sale. The worst I've ever seen.
Maybe used for the appearance of stocked shelves...

Those prices though!
People may be emptying the shelves to get a good deal before the next price increase.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I have not been out for a big shopping run in a while so I don't know how it is here, but the last few times I've gone for fresh foods some of produce at two different stores should have been removed and not for sale. The worst I've ever seen.

Those prices though!
People may be emptying the shelves to get a good deal before the next price increase.
I'm glad I started back deer hunting last year...

·
Registered
103 Posts
The only thing I've seen in short supply was Gatorade...
Out here in rural America things are a little different.
In our area, not counting Dollar General, there are only three grocery stores within 30 miles, all owned by the same company and serviced from the same warehouse.
Supplies of most everything are short or non existent.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I would say that maybe more folks are seeing the writing on the wall, with the direction the current administration is taking this country, and starting to prep/hoard canned good, dry/durable goods, batteries/lighters. It's a matter of buy it now, or not be able to find it, or buy it in the future (look at Venezuela as an example).

These same people have seen the emergency responses from FEMA, or other agencies that leave a bit to be desired in their effectiveness. Some folks perhaps are preparing for those unknown natural disasters that hit every year (now more frequently)

·
Registered
22,209 Posts

Those prices though!
Produce is always iffy this time of year due to travel time since most of it is imported. Some wholesalers are pickier than others on what they sell to stores. I know Walmart is very strict on what they will accept at their distribution centers. The one near us refuses semi loads of produce I would readily buy. The truckers are stuck with the load and need to go somewhere else to pick up another load, so they give it all to a local food bank and they tell other food banks to get some of it. Walmart pulls a random sample of all produce and if they find anything they don't like, they refuse the whole load. For example, they cut a random sample of apples down the middle and if they find any blemished or starting to turn brown around the core, it is a no go.

·
Saltine American
7,370 Posts
I was in Kroger and Walmart this AM. Both were very low on sandwich meat and other meat items in those cases.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Out here in rural America things are a little different.
In our area, not counting Dollar General, there are only three grocery stores within 30 miles, all owned by the same company and serviced from the same warehouse.
Supplies of most everything are short or non existent.
I don't know where you are but the closest town is only six miles. Population 6000. Walmart closed two years ago. I only went there maybe twice per year. Mostly to buy ammo...

·
Registered
5,407 Posts

Cue the panic buying.

Not surprised that the shelves are bare in southern California. When people can come in and steal up to $950 worth of stuff and get away with it this is expected.

Doesn't seem to be many shortages here.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts