Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
That's the whole point, they are a fund raising organization with aspirations to promote veganism. A great big special interest group.

I had no idea they didn't fund any shelters.

I had a good friend who gave small amounts to them every year, and she'd get the little cards and address stickers in the mail. I'm sure she thought she was contributing money to care directly for the animals, it's what it looks like when you open their junk mail.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That is why I give my donations to our local shelter. Starting locally is the way to go, they are in the process of building a new local shelter so you can see the money you donate actually being put to good use. Plus, coming together as a community on an issue like animals can be a very positive thing. Our community has been very spay/neuter friendly for quite some years, so the number of feral cats and dogs has dramatically decreased.

Support your local shelter, and the local vet that offers special spay/neuter clinics. . that is the way to go.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
Local is the way to go for all monies expended be it for food, charitable, or otherwise. Now if only I could convince my FIL that anything with a US flag, veteran, law enforcement officer, or child does not mean it is worthwhile charity, much less a charity that even gives to what you see on the envelope (law enforcement pitch from FL turns out to be a pro-death penalty group and my FIL is not for the death penalty). Charities should be required by law to spend 90% on the 'object' of the charity instead of lining their own pockets.
I now take a picture for my Xmas card and have them done locally. No more HSUS Xmas cards for me.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
The American Humane Association (AHA) supports shelters. HSUS is a lobbying organization and has been for many years.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
My own animals have been successful in their plot to rid me of the ability to donate any money to just about anyone.

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
when i do give I take the shelter bags of dog or cat food not cash.

they atually get a little ticked off, "well thats not the best kind of food like we use but we will use it"

it makes my heart sing to see these people make me not donate for another year or 3.

its dog food. its cat food. stop whining. I know you want money for wages and new paved parking lots and other BS ideas but hey you got dog food.....

the dogs are happy. why aint you?

oh thats right, because your a greedy yuppie scumbag thats why.
i forgot.

:dance:

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I'm in the same position as Oggie.

Glad you posted this though because I thought these people had something to do with animal shelters across the US.

Pauline

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
ladycat said:
Do you know where your donations are going? The Humane
Society of the United States (HSUS) is not your local
"humane society." It doesn't run any pet shelters. Not one.
HSUS is a radical animal "rights" group. It's just PETA with
a nicer wristwatch.

http://activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/136
I donate my money to Best Friends Animal Society (www.bestfriends.org) who takes in all animals, even un-adoptable ones, and cares for them forever. It's the best organization of that type that exists. I recommend them highly.

donsgal

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
donsgal said:
I donate my money to Best Friends Animal Society (www.bestfriends.org) who takes in all animals, even un-adoptable ones, and cares for them forever. It's the best organization of that type that exists. I recommend them highly.

donsgal
I've donated to them also, love their newsletter.

Patty

·
gracie88
913 Posts
Comfortablynumb, the people at your shelter might actually have a good reason for being picky. I used to work at one and we found that lots of the dogs would get horrible diarrhea from the cheap stuff especially if it had red food coloring in it. The animals are under an unusual amount of stress already (strange people, lots of other animals, living in a kennel, parasites, diseases, etc) so a poor diet often seemed to push them right over the edge.

Having said that, we were never snooty to our donors. We took what we were given and said thank you :)

I would also push for donating locally. Time if you have it, supplies and money if you do not.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Gracie, when I adopted last time I asked what the puppy had been eating so I could stick with the same food. The answer? "Oh...we don't know, just whatever we had." Shameful, I tell you, just shameful.

Ladycat, glad you posted this!

·
Registered
634 Posts
comfortablynumb said:
when i do give I take the shelter bags of dog or cat food not cash.

they atually get a little ticked off, "well thats not the best kind of food like we use but we will use it"

it makes my heart sing to see these people make me not donate for another year or 3.

its dog food. its cat food. stop whining. I know you want money for wages and new paved parking lots and other BS ideas but hey you got dog food.....

the dogs are happy. why aint you?

oh thats right, because your a greedy yuppie scumbag thats why.
i forgot.

:dance:

Next time donate cat litter, who cares if that isn't "the best kind".

Our local shelter had a drive through the elementary school for things like towels and blankets and cleaning supplies.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Our shelter is a joke. Nine years ago we went there to adopt a kitten. Heard the guy in line in front of us getting upset with them, saying, "Man you guys sure make it hard to adopt". He stormed out mad.

My turn. My daughter had picked out a kitten, and we turned in our adoption papers. "I see here sir, that you indicated you might let her out of the house. I'm sorry, but we can't let you have her". What??!! I live on 5 acres. "Oh, but the coyotes, or the owls could get her".

I asked if they were going to have to kill her if we didn't adopt it, and she said possibly. So rather than give it a chance to live, they'd rather just snuff it out. Anyway, I left, daughter crying. Went and got a kitten off a farm and somehow she's still with us.

Not sure if I buy all the talk about pet overpopulation. Seems alot more people would adopt if given a chance. Could probably adopt a kid easier here.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DJ in WA said:
Our shelter is a joke. Nine years ago we went there to adopt a kitten. Heard the guy in line in front of us getting upset with them, saying, "Man you guys sure make it hard to adopt". He stormed out mad.

My turn. My daughter had picked out a kitten, and we turned in our adoption papers. "I see here sir, that you indicated you might let her out of the house. I'm sorry, but we can't let you have her". What??!! I live on 5 acres. "Oh, but the coyotes, or the owls could get her".

I asked if they were going to have to kill her if we didn't adopt it, and she said possibly. So rather than give it a chance to live, they'd rather just snuff it out. Anyway, I left, daughter crying. Went and got a kitten off a farm and somehow she's still with us.

Not sure if I buy all the talk about pet overpopulation. Seems alot more people would adopt if given a chance. Could probably adopt a kid easier here.
The shelter here is completely ridiculous. People in apartments can't even adopt a small dog because you don't have a yard with a dog house. And if you want a tiny chihuahua or something that's going to be a house dog, they have to inspect the yard, make sure it's fenced in with shade and a dog house. If you want a cat, you have to have an outside enclosed run. They put people through the wringer to adopt a pet, and then turn half or more of the applicants down due to stupid reasons. And they are continually complaining that they can't adopt enough pets out.

Numerous people have told me that their spay/neuter clinic is filthy. Along with other horror stories I could relate about them. But I won't get into it all.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
DJ in WA said:

We went through the same thing trying to adopt a dog (from a no-kill shelter in the town where I work. My co-worker was a volunteer, a well-liked volunteer which is why we drove 50 miles one way to the shelter). The lady 'in charge' had lost all objectivity - told us the 50-75 dogs in large kennels were 'city dogs', not country dogs. We left with our daughter in tears. There where a lot of complaints and this woman was stripped of her authority on yea/nay for adoptions. This is also why people started adoption agencies for barn cats (and yes, you should feed your barncats as well fed cats mouse better). But for some reason, outdoor cats who will never be pets are much better off stuck in a cage forever or PTS because they'll never be a pet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
HSUS is a giant farce! Yet they have fleeced the public for so long now everyone believes they are benevolent.....they are no better than PETA and more and more seem to be taking ques from PETA......terrorist organizations, both of them! PETA's founder believes humans are the greatest scourge on the earth, they kill upwards of 80% of the animals they take in......if humans are really that bad, I think she should take a proactive approach and take a long walk off a short pier, one bad human at a time.....leading by example! Heck, take a large group of her closest compatriots with her, I will be glad to cheer, I will even find a pier and make sure no life saving efforts are mounted.....I love a good scourge cleansing!
As for local shelters, etc....most ACO's are underpaid, under-educated and the "shelters" are cesspools for disease.....simply because they are inundated daily with sick animals and in turn pass that on and leave it behind! Our local pound doesn't give shots, not even bordatella and it's rampant there! When you pay your fee it entitles you to a "free" spay or neuter, but before the local vets will do that you have to front the money for shots and 99% time for kennel cough treatment....which puts your "alteration" off for a period of time and then it costs you ANOTHER office visit to have it done......so much for free and helping out some poor pooch! So before you walk out the door they are bleeding you dry.....people can't afford to adopt and can't afford to alter their pets if they want to, it's ridiculous! Every Aug the vets participate in SNIP, but are always booked months in advance and don't cut breaks on price for alterations.....heck, if it were me and you brought in a litter of dogs or kittens who were old enough I would do it for free.....the more you bring, the less I would charge, over 5 I'm doin it pro bono! How in the world else do they plan on making a dent or a change???
I give all vaccinations but Rabies and I know what the price of them is......are you telling me my tax dollars can't support some shots or nasal drops???? UGH!
I had a dog chase my sheep out of a rented pasture and 1/4 of the mile down the road, when I went to collect them I found out from the property owner that ACO had been out there en masse chasing my COWS for hours.....they caught my 3 week old lamb (or should I say extremely stunted fuzzy calf?) and shot a tranquilizer dart into my ewe's fleece. This all transpired while I was at the OBs office....I was 5 months preggo and chasing sheep! LOL I called AC and got a recording, so I did a "cold" call on one of the ACO's....it was an AC truck, so I pulled in the drive and asked her to contact some one so I could retrieve my unweaned lamb.....nope, can't do it have to wait til we open tomorrow at noon. I went down anyway, fearing they had put her in the building with the dogs and cats, but they hadn't, they left her outside with no housing in the cold, thank God for no rain. When they opened I had to pay 35 dollars to get her back, hear a spiel on how I was lucky they weren't writing me up for negligence since my sheep were out......but they wouldn't come about that blasted dog for love nor money........go figure! And they were kind enough to try and feed her dog food, couldn't figure out why she wouldn't eat it! The biggest joy was them being terrified of catching her as she did vertical laps around the kennel.....at first it was againest regs for me to go in and get her, but after she clipped them it was alright......catching flying sheep is much easier in close quarters! LOL She recovered well and her mom was relieved to have her back......but my feeling for the local shelter was soured....they won't adopt out livestock they get, and they don't get a lot, thank goodness, unless it's to one of themselves....how is that right? We had a huge horse deal here, it took them 2 years and state intervention before they did anything, meanwhile this family starved mutliple horses to death and left them lay, or partially buried them......2 years, with people like me calling weekly as I went past them on my way to buy feed, and numerous others who called and were threatened because they trespassed trying to help.....yep, I just love those folks! I know they are swamped, but sometimes you just have to do the right thing.....swamped or not!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts