Why dont they backfill underground coal mines?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fantasymaker, Oct 31, 2006.

1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Anybody know anything about this other than "money" ?

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

that would be a very difficult job.
    and mines that are deep enough fill with water. or the collapse slowly and on the surfce you dont see much deformation.

for the amount of subsidance you actually see, in relation to the millions of miles of deep mines under your feet... its kind of amazing there isnt more problems.

we just had a deep mine blowout on the surface here in town, its an OLD miine, flooded with water under pressure... it ws like watching a yellowstone gyeser inthe street and it flooded out a whole secion of the town. it didnt subside, the water blew out thru a crack.

backfilling would be really really expensive, when you figure it against the cost of just paying out mine subsidance claims afterwards.

besides, the usedmines are where the government and the aaliens are building the concentration camps.

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

What would you have them fill the mine with? Couldn't use soil as it is much too valuable as soil. Trash? Too polluting to the underground water as well as other problems.

I just can't see that it would be practical even if preferred.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

CN, you don't know nuthin'..........they are where they are storing the Black helicopters that the UN are going to use when they take over.

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

perhaps if they blasted them and collapsed them as they are done, the subsidance would be less after a few yrs...

but then again the cost of the explosives and the manpower is far more than the subsidance claims.

plus, it would put insurance companies out of a job, insuring against mine subsidance.

6. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Brother in law is a mining eng. In the mines he worked in Lynch KY the operators mine out the seam, leaving columns of coal/shale to help hold up the mine till they run it out. Then starting from the end they mine out the columns. The bolts and plates they put in the ceiling is only meant to hold up the shale roof in sections, not the entire roof. The idea is as the columns are removed the thing can fall on its own. Also, not worth the cost to haul all of the old shale back underground into an unsupported mine.

7. tuvold

tuvold Well-Known Member

Hey,

Not all mines are under unimproved land. If I remember correctly, in IL coal mines, they have to have X amount of support columns left in place per square X. Unfortunately the support columns are vauable and as they leave, the columns mysteriously leave also. Sahara Coal Co. was bad for this. I have talked to several miners about it. The coal around Bankston had a 12' ceiling and many years after the mine wrapped up, there were a lot of sections of real estate that dropped 12'. Bad bad practice. Many houses, roads and farmlands have been destroyed.

My 2 coppers,

tuvold

8. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

at one time..toronto wanted to haul its garbage to Timmins ont(about 400 miles north) but the timmins folk decided that the $$ wasn,t worth the environmental dangers.(hooray).Good for them..NOW..Toronto ships its garbage to just outside Detroit.Dumbest thing I ever heard.100,s of trucks crossing the border each day with trash.all for a few bucks.????I,m not sure if NewYork still dumps theirs in the ocean..On each of our coasts here in Canada they let raw sewage go straight into the ocean..Halifax and Victoria.Both cities are provincial capitals.Makes the fish taste better???Where are the brains???

9. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

why fill them in? Use the open spaces like some mines have an ideal growing environment for growing edible mushrooms with minimal lighting and some water pumps. :shrug:

10. fantasymaker

there is a big problem in this part of Il with a local coal mine wanting to start and long wall In long wall mining they dont leave any type of support and so yes it WILL subside I know it would cost a few buck but I still think the could back fill

11. mikee22712

mikee22712 Member

When I was driving a tractor trailer about 10 years I found out that there a few warehouses that are undergound in Kansas. I think there was 2 refrigerated ones and one dry storage one. I made deliveries to the dry one. I am also closterfobic not good. Drove my 53ft trailer and tractor right in backed up to the dock and delivered a load of dried soups.

12. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Why would you want to fill them back up????????????????????????????

13. fantasymaker

So they dont colapse and ruin whats above them

14. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Isn't that covered in the lease from the landowner? In other words, limits liability.

15. fantasymaker

Would you be happy if I told you I was going to ruin your house and that I might pay you back?

16. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

When I lived in Colorado off Coal Mine road we had a class action suit in the neighborhood with the developers. Apparently the neighborhood was over an old Coal Mine (imagin that), and the developer had not told anyone about the chimney effect. Well, while I lived there, it happed 2 streets over, a big hold opened up and ate part of a road, and was approaching a house or two. And they didn't know how deep it would go, since it was an old mine.

Before it was settled I moved, but a year or two later we did get our part of the settlement. And as far as I know people still live around it, but are at least informed when they purchase ...

Angie

17. Larburlingame

Larburlingame Well-Known Member

18. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Tinknal's right! Hey, how'd you find out? That's suppose to be top secret.

19. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Sorry:
    Still makes me wonder if this is a big problem? Did your house cave-in?
    How about globle warming, land being gobbled up by subdivisions and paved over for shopping, 12 mpg SUV's etc, etc, etc..............................

20. fantasymaker

Its been a problem in the past not just what it does to houses but the land damage too. Its a growing problem because in the past mines left pillers to support the roof like you see in some of the posts of storage caverns. Now they take all the coal and so its pretty sure that they will colapse.