Why don't more people skin?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by quailkeeper, Oct 7, 2004.

1. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I have a question mainly out of curiosity. Why don't more people skin their hogs instead of scalding and scraping. I can not even imagine scalding and scraping hair off of a pig. We just finished butchering out our 250 lb hog and skinning it was so EASY compared to what I expected!!!! My husband and I skinned him out in about 25 minutes and this was our first hog. In fact, we were trying to be so careful it took us a lot longer to gut him than to skin him. We attempted the strip skinning and that was horrid. It does not come off in strips. His skin came off in one big piece. It was a lot like skinning a deer that you want to save the hide off of. We started at the hams and worked our way down. We just held the skin tight in one hand and cut the connective tissue with a sharp fillet knife. No wasted meat or fat. I have read posts on here about skinning and how hard it is and botchy. It was a really nice clean carcass when we finished skinning. I will never scald!! Just curious why more people scald than skin.

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Well, in my case, sometimes we skin, sometimes we scald, and sometimes we use a blow torch.
    It depends on whether we want to eat the skin or not. When we want to eat the skin, IMHO it's cleaner....less stubble if we scald and scrape than if we were to skin and try to clean it then.
    Sometimes I like a nice skin rind on my hams too.
    When cooking a whole hog underground we leave the skin on to hold the juices in the meat. We use the blow torch for this, it's quicker.
    I guess it boils down to whether we're going to eat the skin or not. :)

3. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Quailkeeper
    We can skin a hog faster than we can heat the water :) I find it mutch easier to skin them on there backs! We prop upright with a short block of wood on both sides, then split the skin from nose to tail and up the legs. Disjoint the feet and leave them atached to the skin and skin the legs down. When you get to the body gather the skin from underneath in one hand and strech tight, this will let you place the blade flat to the hide and use long smooth strokes. When you get down lo on the side lay the hide out flat and remove one block. grab the hide and lift up and out which rolls them onto there side. Repeat on the other side then hoist and gut as usual, you will be amazed at how easy it is.
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

4. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

Quailkeeper;

We have skinned them & scalded before, for bacon with handles, which includes the skin is an old fashioned favorite around our house. The hams also do well with the skin on them. Also the pig cooking goes better, skin on or skin off usually does well, but with skin on it seems to allow the pig to remain juicy and the chances of drying out are less. I do agree skinning requires far less work, but some things seem to be better with the skin, cracklins, cooked skin is rather tasty as well. Although I have enjoyed eating many a good skinned pigs! That is why I posted the question about old baldy, if I can make the job of scalding easier then I perfer to leave the skin on, otherwise I would skin them. Very good point though

VAPigLover

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

For us it is cultural tradition. It is what we have always done and you should see th epeople line up when the pig is taken out of the spit :) . Skinning seems to me a lot harder and the couple of times we've done it, hair got on the meat.