Why don't dogs where muzzles anymore?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OldYellersGhost, Apr 25, 2005.

1. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Are they considered abusive?

(don't tell me that I need one because I'm not typing with my mouth!) :)

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Why don't dogs Wear(where??) muzzles anymore???
    .................Because it would violate their freedom of Speech!!..fordy.. :eek: :)

3. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Coz they don't make mean dogs like they used to.

4. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Oh shucks, I made a typo?
    My paws are getting too darn big for this keyboard!

5. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Depends- what type of muzzle are you talking about?

Muzzles for biters- the plastic basket kind- are harder to find, you generally have to order them, and they are PITA to fit from a catalogue. The readily available, cheap nylon kind that most groomers use won't prevent a bite, it'll just prevent the dog getting more than a little bit of skin, usually.

I think it's equal parts public perception- people who have iffy dogs don't want to be yelled at by the public for being 'mean' and irresponsible for having iffy dogs out in public, so they ignore the problem- and better training methods.

6. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

They have better lawyers now. If a dog bites someone is not the dogs fault. Its the persons being bittens fault. They should not have let the dog get that close, they should have know that dogs bite and removed themself from the situation. :haha:

7. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it's a combination of lack of self-esteem and the fact that the canine fashion industry hasn't stepped up to support muzzles at all. Maybe if they came in more "wearer friendly" colors/metals or maybe rhinestones or diamonds more dogs would consider coming back to them. Maybe there's a niche market there for someone looking to take on a project. Perhaps canine psychologists should address this issue with their patients as well. Maybe it is more of a "control" issue with some dogs.

My god....I either need more sleep or more coffee.....

8. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I think it's people not wanting their dog to be preceived as a bitter or self denial if they are. My greyhounds have basket muzzles. They are not aggressive at all but it is good to use them when introducing a new animal or preventing rough play. I use one covered with a cloth to keep my girl from eating chicken poop.

9. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, our English Setter wears one often...she is dumb as a box of rocks and will not learn to stop barking...even when wearing an electronic shock collar she never quit! If we go out to work in the yard she won't shut up until he "daddy" is back in sight...kinda ruins the country peace and quiet. Amazing how a dog that can hunt like she does can be so slow to learn "no bark".... DEE

10. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

I would never consider muzzling a Canine American. People might start considering them second class citizens.

11. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

You could probably get away with it if they were white, southern and conservative Christian. :D

12. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I have a nylon one for my dog so he doesn't bite holes in the plastic snow tubes, but he just pulls it off. He listens to me now, so I don't use it anymore. But I gotta give props to the head collar, that thing is magical!
    Hey Mutti, there is a collar that sprays citronella into the dogs face, that might fix your dog. But it's $125.00. However, anyone with a setter type gets what he/she paid for...they are famous for doing something guaranteed to get on your nerves.

13. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

we have a lovely german shepherd that a friend of ours rescued from a very abusive home. when we got her she was skinny, afraid to eat in the same room as anyone else, would jump at anything.... she's doing much much better now. however, she is frightened of men that she doesn't know. When I go for a walk with her, people always want to pat the dogs. Well, I have said on more than one occaision "please don't pat her, she's afraid of men adn may bite you" On 2 different occasions, the men went and pet her anyway (one of them saying 'oh she looks like too nice a dog to bite"). I say that's stupid tax. I told you, you did it anyway. However, she could be put down for it, so we use a muzzle to protect her more than anyone else. She's been warming up to men over the last year, but I don't think she'll ever be really comfy around them.

Babs

14. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

How funny, I call my little Lucille a CAP. You know a Canine American Princess.

anyway, I was just at the vet's office 2 weeks ago and I saw dogs with muzzles. Guess they are still in full use out here.

15. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Because their owner's won't put them on. It's tricky to do it yourself when you don't have thumbs. :haha: Seriously though, I don't know. I muzzle my dogs when they will be in public or when repairmen or such will be working outside my home. I jsut figured an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I have a very agressive German Shepherd, but one of my poodles was very nippy and I muzzled her if she went to the vet's office or to Petsmart.