Why Do You want To Change my area??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Nov 5, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Where I live is well off the beaten Path.Very quite Horse and Buggy Mennonite Area.But we have 7,000 acre state forest Land open to the public.

Got a neighbor that moved here from another state.come in here with big ideas,decided to change everything,but is still loosing his a**.Well he had a very large artical put in a paper in Springfield which is 50 miles away telling people how great our area is,come on up stay awhile.He is wanting to have Trail Rides,and promoting our area in a big way.

Problem is he has tried everything to make money the last couple years,cut all the Logs off his place,his horses have distroyed his fence and pasture.Now this.

What I'm thinking he is going to ruin what makes this plavce so nice,then sell out and leave.Leaving us with the problem of dealing with all the extra people that wouldn't have been here if it hadn't been for him.

big rockpile

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Cheer up David, They may pave your road!

3. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

Has he ever had big ideas elsewhere and it just fell through?...
    sounds like he doesn't know how to follow through on his big ideas and is still loosing his a** - and just hope he gives up and moves away! JackieA

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

And that's supposed to be a good thing?

5. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We have an out of state builder doing the same thing here. He is building speculation executive homes on the scale of 15k + square feet. The people buying them are … well out of state executives.

This wouldn’t be an issue but once they get here they feel the need to turn the dark quite country into a lighted noisy city, which is an issue!

6. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

Reminds me of what my hubby says..The first street light I see, we're moving!

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i hear that ! , we have our 80 acres, right now were debating, its technically on a county road, but the neighbor north of us owns the land had the "road" fenced in as part of his cow pasture .....
    now granted i dont really need a county road , but its also about 3/4 of a mile from wherethe road ends through the pasture down a valley, across a wash and up the hill to our land ...
    wouldnt be bad but the road is ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH!
    so , in talkign with the county and checking on the land, it IS technically county road .....
    but since noone has asked them to maintain it , they havent ...
    now if i ask them to maintian, then the neighbor has to put up new fence remove the gates, etc.....
    the issue is , do we want to make a mad neighbor, or do we want a county road....
    big issue, ive got a call into this neighbor now, asking if he will help us with the road .....
    if he doesnt , then i might end up calling the county and asking for enforcement on the county road....

8. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Big Rockpile (David) How about YOU try to help him find a way to maximize his property. If you could show him a way to make a buck on his property Maybe he'd be receptive to your ideas about not Ruining the area.

On the Other hand if He causes people to come in Can you profit from them?:)

I'm learning the hard way there is always two ways to look at something the "closed-minded" way and the "open-minded" way.

Good Luck.

9. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

My question is: Who was there first? Our only neighbors are the USFS. But if someone did move in next to us, knowing we run a caprine dairy, and then starts to complain about the noise, smell etc. I would have zero compassion for them and would become a nasty neighbor really fast. I would probably use some of the family fortune and the court system to nail them at every turn if I legally had standing.

That said, if the road inside the fence is a new issue then I would put the same amount of energy into securing my rights.

I guess what erks me the most someone moves way out into the country, and near a small airport, then does everything in their power to stop the airplane noise, ultimately getting another strip closed down.

This mentality drives me nuts!

10. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

no see, the issue is that the road is county road, right now to get to the land we have to go through 2 gates, and i like that, i dont like the fact that the LOWEST estimate i have to repair the road and driveway to something navigable is 19,000.00

now this IS a county road ... so i do have the option of exercising my rights as a land owner to ask the county to enforce the road right of way,
    but i dont want to be a nasty neighbor, now, that being said, the neighbor with the field we drive through , has a road grader and a tractor with a bucket, in fact hes in the middle of cutting some roads in on another piece of property what i am going to ask him is if he will help with fixing the road, were willing and able to pay for gravel if he won't, well then i am faced with one of two options , paying the eventally 20k plus , or turning the road over to the county, and asking for enforcement of the recorded road easement

now as to what do i WANT to do , i want to have the neighbor help with the road, i dont want to have the county involved,i like the secluded ness of our place
    the gates are a hassle, but they also keep others out ....

11. big rockpile

I checked in to buying the place he has,had some good ideas.problem was Fence and water,none of each.

He already got into it with the State,saying they put a road across his property,but this has been many years ago.I guess they got that straighten out,by the state not doing any maintenance on it.

He come in there with all kinds of plans making money with Horses :confused: Thought maybe he knows something I don't.He bought a Store hired help,while him and his Family just set around up there.I asked him about picking Walnuts on shares,he just let them lay.

I don't know things he does just don't make any sence. :confused: Him and his Family are nice enough.

Oh I found out he was mad at me because he thought I shot his Dog,because I told him I was having a problem with the Dog to take care of it.When something was said about me shooting it I told him it wasn't my problem I figure it is his.

big rockpile

12. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Big Rockpile, I really really understand what you're feeling! We have always been a very rural area, but now there are so many folks moving out of the more populated areas of Birmingham that what used to be wonderful farm land is getting eaten up by subdivisions...

I cover the county commission meetings in my job as a reporter and sometimes I get SO MAD because they keepwanting to bring more and more people HERE when I want to keep the folks out!!!! Because when they come, they move into a rural area saying they want the less crime, peaceful, country atmsophere and immediately start hitting the county up for a paved road, public water, and all sorts of other things PLUS complaining about the smells and their neighbors, etc......

My 15 acres are OURS and I don't want anybody telling me what I can and cannot do on this land....its been in our family for more than 100 years.....

All those who want all these things should just buy land in "gated communities" and live us homesteaders ALONE!

13. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Do your other neighbors feel the same way?

Apparently one of our new neighbors came in trying to change things and tell others the way it ought to be, but he's not getting far. He's managed to make most of the town council mad.
    I made sure the Co. Commish knew how I felt about the roads NOT being paved. I made the comment that I would prefer they use that money to grade or gravel and keep them in passable condition - using the rest to keep the main business routes in good condition too. Apparently it worked.
    Work with your town council BR, the folks in your area may feel the same way you do.

14. big rockpile

Town Council :confused: Whats that?Most of the people around here are Mennonites in other words don't worry about what anyone else does :rolleyes:

Oh well their neighbor across the road from them is from out of state too and he stands out there and flases the School Bus when it goes by. :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

I got neighbors on both sides of me from out of state.One is just nuts,thinks the Goverment is out to get her.The other one leaves Cars,Pickups,and pieces there of scatterd up and down the road,plus he is suppose to be a good Christain,but hearing him two hollers over yelling at his wife and kids you would never know it.Oh he called the Law on me for putting Sugar in his Gas Tank.

big rockpile

15. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I know this is not funny, but non-the-less it made me laugh because the first thing I thought of was...I bet the Indians felt the same way about the white man! LOL

I guess it comes down to..you can't halt progress. You just can't. It's unrealistic. It's the way our species is and why we are so successful( in population). All we can do is to move to a more remote place and hope that within our lifetimes we can have some peace and quiet. :rolleyes:

LQ