Why do you love...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longearsfarm, May 12, 2005.

1. longearsfarm

longearsfarm Well-Known Member

homesteading?

As I was ratcheting down the cap onto my truck the other night, it ocurred to me that I've learned so much since we moved to this property almost 5 years ago.

I can drive a tractor, use a backhoe, use a sawzall, use a circular saw, build a pig house, catch a loose chicken, take a horse's temperature, split wood, make soap, ear tag sheep, milk goats, make cheese, snow plow my driveway, dig post holes, build fences, barter like nobody's business :), tell my donkeys apart just by their brays, trim a pig's feet, canter without falling off (mostly LOL) and truly live in the moment (at least most of the time).

Ok, so why do you guys love homesteading?

:)
    Valerie
    LongEars Farm

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm not sure, but last night I made one of my favorite soups from my own chicken and my own eggs and felt just a teeny bit smug about that.

I'm not sure "love" would be the right word. I don't know how to do anything else. It would completely unhinge me not to put a garden in, for example. And even though we have WAY too many lambs on the ground right now (oops... guess we shouldn't have bred all the ewe lambs...) not having lambs in the spring? Perish the thought! Even the chickens.. they really aren't cost effective, but as I was out there this morning thinking "really, this is silly.." I couldn't imagine not being out there with chickens to feed.

I think homesteading is a lot like knitting: a compulsive behavior disorder that hasn't found a name in psyc circles yet, so it goes unnoticed and undiagnosed.

As soon as they slap a name on it there will be a nice drug and we can all start living nice, appropriate, middle american, lives... like normal people!

3. pekin84

pekin84 Member

Because it's just so satisfying. The clothes on the clothesline, the full canning jars on the shelves, the freezers full of meat, a pile of pigs snuggling together, the garden when it looks good (early in the year!), the kids turning up their noses at grocery store items. We don't need to go anywhere else to have fun.

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

No chemicals!! Drying clothes on the line, good fresh food, less hustle and bustle, lots of dogs/animals, less people. Going out side at night and looking out in the yard , to find fireflies, looking up in the sky to find stars..... What else could be better. Actually having honeybees that can provide honey and pollinate my veggie garden....

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Standing barefoot in the garden eating raspberries right off the vine. Working my way through piles of fresh cherries off of my trees (eating as many as I get into jars to preserve). Sitting in the grass, sharing an apple with a goat. Looking at the fences I erected, the coops I built, the trees I planted, the critters I raised.

It's alot of work. Every muscle in my body hurts right now, and my bad knee is really talking to me. As soon as I walk outside and watch the goatling bounce across the pasture, it'll all be worth it.

6. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

the satsification of cooking food that I planted, eating fresh eggs. Watching goats drop their kids during birth. Listening to a new born goat, frogs croaking inthe trees and the pond. the abiltiy to see stars at night. Hear the birds singing, turkeys gobbling. Have clean, fresh clothes off of the clothesline. The satisfaction of canning and freezing my produce. Watching the chickens in the yard. having wood stacked for winter needs.Feeling smug about being able to go morel, poke hunting. Having my daughters friends talk about how cool the farm is :)
    tnborn

7. susanneb

susanneb Well-Known Member

Looking at a sky full of stars rather than light pollution

Hearing a chorus of frogs and crickets rather than car horns and squealing brakes.

Knowing that a gunshot was a hunter rather than a drive-by

Having deer traipse through our yard rather than transients

Looking out from my home studio and seeing my horses graze, rather than a street full of cars

Having neighbors visit on horseback rather than trying to feed my horses lawn clippings and hamburgers

Knowing that beyond that one speeding driver is an empty road, rather than an onslaught of speed demons

Drinking our delicious well water rather than that from the city reservoirs

Breathing fresh air rather than our old neighbor's floor refinishing chemicals.

Waking to roosters crowing rather than neighbors yelling

Watching the moon through the trees rather than street lights

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Watching my youngest throw back her head to follow the flight of a wild duck. The duck honked 3 times and my daughter beamed and said "He beeped me!".

9. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

I grew up in the city but spent my summers at my Grannie's farm.
    I loved waking up hearing the rooster crow, watching the chicks follow Mama hen, helping to milk the cow, watching the pigs wallow in the mud. Walking outside and smelling the fresh country air. We worked her little garden in the back of the house, snapped beans on the porch. She taught me how to cook.
    I helped her collect eggs and feed all the critters. Some evenings we would go to the pond and catch some catfish for supper. We sat on the porch and looked at the stars and just talk instead of sit in front a TV. We took walks to the creek to cool off on hot days. I rode on the fender of my Great Uncle's tractor to the fields. He would let me ride Toby one of his mule's and took me to a place on his farm where he had found arrow heads and a Indian pot.
    The kitchen was the center of her home, sitting around the table to talk and enjoying food she had grown and raised. I looked forward to summer so I could go back and live on the farm while school was out.
    I knew then that was exactly what I wanted in life. To me, there is nothing more precious.