Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to I dont do it (homestead) at the moment but selfsufficiency is a very big deal for me-i dont like being dependent on others for my survival!

Hopefully by the end of the summer we will have 4 chickens and a coop and I am trying to save $ on food by baking my own bread and cooking inexpensive meals from scratch-main problem is time-when i get out of work i am so beat i sometimes get lazy but i try to motivate by remembering WHY i want to homestead and / or be more selfsufficient

Any thoughts on this subject are appreciated!

Is there another forum here on homestead theory (if that is the right word) or homesteading support?

If this is the one for that that is great as well.

Nice to be here! :)
sammi

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Its the way I was raised :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Almst livin the good life
1,126 Posts
A desparate need to get out of corporate america and to be able to devote 100% of my time to what I do well - raising animals and growing plants. The fact that our food bill will be cut way down and the fact we will know where our food is coming from is another motivator!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Lots of reasons. I was raised this way. I enjoy growing what I can, having pets and animals, looking out my doors and seeing green fields and trees, seeing the stars at night, etc.- things that you miss out on living in more developed areas. Guess it all boils down to – it’s in my blood. And it is good for the soul; I’m happiest when working outside doing the sometimes humdrum chores.

·
Registered
632 Posts
HI Sammi

I think I just like that simple idea of living my life at home, surrounded by the things I love and rarely having to deal with the outside world! LOL :)
Self-sufficiency and not being dependent on the system sound really nice to me.
And although I can handle myself fine with other folks, I am not a big people person either. I rather enjoy my anonymity and privacy. :dance:

I wasn’t raised in a Homesteading lifestyle, so I am learning new things every day. But since I was a child, I dreamed about it. :zzz:

·
Love it, or leave it...
402 Posts
It's always nice to teach the kids more ways to be more self sufficient. Growing out own food, canning it, raising animals for the freezer. Trying to make everything as "full circle" as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to live in the country. So much so that as a child I went through a phase where I asked my parents if I was adopted :shrug: since they lived in the 'burbs and I was convinced that I was meant to live on a "ranch". I love being around the animals, waking up to hear the horses nickering for their breakfast. I would rather hear a rooster crow than freeway traffic humming near where I lived. I have a longing to live a life that feels purposeful and intentional, not one where I bounce along with the rest of the masses from one material object to the next. I value the quality of the relationships you build with people when you must work together to meet your needs. I find it is easier to be at peace living on the land than it is anywhere else.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
We're semi-homesteading, doing what we can where we can until we can get our piece of land.

There are SO MANY reasons we want to live the homesteading lifestyle:

* because we believe there is no better way to raise children
* because we want to know the history of the food we eat
* because we want to be as self-sufficient as possible
* because we are not comfortable "living the rat race"
* because we've always wanted to, since we were little kids
* because living like this would leave a smaller "footprint" on earth
* because we love being close to nature
* because we believe we were born in the wrong century :p
* because we believe God is calling our family to live this lifestyle

and so many more reasons!

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I like the seclusion I have on my farm that I don't have at my house in the city. I prefer animals to people. Until I retire I will only be a weekend homesteader. I still need to build a barn, buy a farm tractor and would like to build a small house to replace the mobile home. Just put in a 577 ft. water line and connected to my septic tank this spring, electricity last year and maybe a barn next year. There is always something in the works. I'm trying to get it done now while I have the money because tomorrow I may lose my job - you never know. I don't buy anything on credit. I save up until I have enough and then build it or have it built or buy it.

I love the country lifestyle.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Because I think a big change is coming for the people in our country. The signs are there and we are at a danger point. I don't want my family to starve because I was more interested in getting ahead in worldly pursuits. I like growing a garden. I like canning and freezing and baking. I like to sew. I just like to work. I like interacting with others on this forum because they are like-minded! I have always felt I was born in the wrong century.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Yep,luvit. But folks,we are a dying breed.Remember when we had to go to town, Now that distance is much shorter, because town is coming to us. Well, enjoy while we can with what time we have left. After a while only that Homestead in our mind will be left without close neighbors.Why do they say high property values and tourism is good for me. They are not homesteaders, how are they to know? Im not a people person either, but I do like country folks I guess because they are not people person's either and they like country folks to. So as far as I'm concerned, all you guys and gals are country folk or at least hope to be one day. Theres an old saying"YOU CAN TAKE THE BOY OUT OF THE COUNTRY BUT, IF I WERE YOU I WOULD'NT TRY" :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome to the world of homesteading Sammi_9!

I started out the way you are and have come along way. It has taken several years and plenty of effort, but it has been worth every minute!

If it seems overwhelming to you, break it down into smaller steps. We started out buying the land. Paid it off and started working on the mortgage free house. (That took a few years to complete enough to pass inspection and move in.) I then started on the vegetable garden and fruit orchards. Next came the honey bees and chickens.

Now I am trying to raise and stock as much food as we can, cook all meals at home, and stay away from the city.

You can learn plenty from this board just hanging around! I don't post much but I have learned everything I wanted to know about homesteading from this forum. I don't think that there has been a topic that has not been discussed!

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm slowly getting into it each day, more and more. Every year I can see a marked amount of progress over the previous year. I don't know how far I am to being a true homesteader, but I'm closer than I was when starting three years ago.

I do it because I was curious and intrigued by gardening at first, then the idea of having a some chickens for eggs and meat, and rabbits for meat, now I'm thinking about pigs and cattle and goats... I happen to be blessed with a few acres of my grandparent's farm and have all of the space and opportunity, I basically just expand as time an dmoney allows.

I've noticed many people talk about saving money by homesteading... and I'm sure that down the road that'll be true for me too, but starting out, it's expensive. In fact, if I only had the money, I'd be a full-time homesteader, but it cost's too much to just jump into farming... and at least with my 9-5 job I get health insurance and such.

Good luck in your homesteading venture. There's few things in life more rewarding than living a dream.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I spent the first 10 years of my life living on a small homestead with my grandparents, and have spent the last 40 years trying to find a way back.

galump

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
We're beginning to homestead as we've only lived here for a year. The reason I want to is because I sincerely believe that soon it will be the only way to get healthy, real food. I also like the idea of living in an eco-friendly manner and preserving the old ways (quilting, spinning, etc.)

:) RedTartan

1 - 20 of 70 Posts