Why do we need to have DST?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nappy, Apr 29, 2005.

1. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Changing times twice a year has been bothering me for a long time. Could it be that we need to be reminded to change the batteries in the smoke detectors?!! Would someone please explain how the two extra months that may be added will help save energy. Or maybe I will be more confused.....

:rolleyes:

Nappy

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I heard that the Senators wanted an extra hour of daylight to play golf after they get through doing whatever it is that they do during the day. I wish they would just get up and start an hour earlier & leave the time alone.

3. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

Since I work 8 - 5 in a dark office I actually appreciate and look forward to DST. Now I can work in the yard, take a walk, or garden after dinner all in the daylight.

Probably there is something about energy savings that is involved too.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The true reason we have DST is due to the fact that the government (politicians) wants to control the population and this is just one way that they get us trained to depend on them. If we wanted to save electricity we could be mandated to turn off all the unnecessary lights after a specific time.

5. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Well if you don’t like DST you should all come to Indiana where we don’t have DST, some of us anyway, and our legislature wages a war over daylight savings time every year.

It also has to do with where Indiana is located. When the Feds first drew the time zone lines Indiana was in the central time zone. But as Indiana became more and more involved in the auto industry many of the eastern counties wanted to be in the eastern time zone.

So the line between eastern and central was first moved to the center of the state. But this didn’t work out because that meant the line would run right down the middle of Indianapolis.

So the line was moved again to the western border of Indiana putting all of Indiana in the eastern time zone. Making everybody happy.

Well not exactly. The Hoosier counties up north around Chicago and down south around Evansville didn’t like being on eastern time. So they just ignored the state and stayed on central time, and after a while the state legislature passed a law allowing them to stay in the central time zone. Everybody happy now.

Well maybe until DST came along. Then when DST started the farmers complained about an hour of daylight being moved from the morning to the evening. So to make the farmers happy the legislature decided that all those counties in the eastern time zone would not observe DST so that hour of sun would stay in the morning. Everybody happy now? Not Quite.

This is when the Hoosier counties around Cincinnati decide they were going to observe DST despite the state so they could be on the same time as Cincinnati.

So as the situation we have now is basically this. The bulk of Indiana is on Eastern Standard Time year round. So that means we do not charge our clocks, and from late October until Early April we are on the same time as New York. And from Early April to late October we are on the same time as Chicago. But then we have several counties in southeastern Indiana that are on Eastern time and honor DST, and we have counties in the north west and south west parts of the state that are on central time and honor DST. Get it now? Well if you do please email me and explain it to me.

So this week the legislature has passed a bill that will put all the counties not observing DST on to DST next year under the condition that the governor asks the Feds to put all of Indiana, except for a few counties around Cincinnati, in the Central Time Zone. And if they Feds do not allow the change many of the western counties plan to change to central time regardless of what the Feds and the State say. And if the Feds do allow the change severl of the eastern counties may ignore the Feds and the State and stay on eastern time.

Did you ever think the question “What time is it?” could cause so much trouble?

Duke

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Why do we have DST? Dunno. The chickens don't change. So I go along with them. Get up at sunrise, go to bed when I'm tired (after the chickens are in bed.) Eat when I'm hungry. Don't punch a time clock no mo.

7. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know why, but when I worked on construction, I appreciated it. Rather work that hour in the cooler morning rather than in the afternoon heat.

8. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

People use less energy when we switch to DST (and it looks like it's finally coming to Indiana now, too.)

Think in the Winter when we fall back an hour. "Geesh, it's getting dark early now." Flip on the lights. Where if we were still on DST, it would be another hour before the lights are turned on. Multiply that by every household, business, industry, and city in America, and it all adds up. Eventually, as we near the Winter Solstice and the days shorten, it becomes less effective because we just have to turn our lights on earlier and have them on longer in the morning.

I read that in the new energy bill, they extend DST a month both directions. I would have thought that the cost effectiveness wouldn't be worth it, but considering so much of the population now lives in the Southern U.S., maybe it would be because you don't have as dramatic a shortening of day as we do Up North. Have to study more on that one.

9. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and it extends economic activity later into the day. If it's dark at 8, you might not feel like going out for an ice cream cone even though you want one. But if its still daylight and you have another hour of daylight, the impulse is more readily acted on.

10. ozarksnick

ozarksnick Don't Tread On Me!

Boy you've got me jealous Cyngbaeld. Can't wait till I can say goodbye to the time clock too.

DST is stupid. I think one of the above posters has it right about folks spending more money though. That's what everything in our society revolves around, course I'm preaching to the choir here.

As far as energy savings go though, that's stupid. Sure it stays light longer in the evening, but it stays dark longer in the mornings too!

A blogger I read commented that it was like making yourself taller by cutting off your head and standing on it.

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

It's geared toward the majority that work 9 to 5. Yes, you may have to use the lights in the morning...but the majority are only home for less than an hour after they wake. Offices use lights anyway, so there's no extra energy output there. When the masses get home at 6, they don't need to turn on the lights for 2 to 3 more hours, then it's lights out and off to bed by 11.

I like it. I have a long commute, so I would not get to spend much time in daylight otherwise and can get yardwork done (it's too damp in the morning).

12. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never understood why they call it Daylight Savings Time when we have an excess of daylight hours in the summer. I mean, it's not like we're saving these hours for the dark hours of December. Shouldn't they call it Daylight Savings Time in the winter when we have so few to spare?

13. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

My problem with it is the kids will get on the bus in the dark longer in the spring if we are on Eastern Time with DST.

We live downhill from a stone quarry (you should see those trucks high-balling down our road) and the kids have to cross the road to get on the bus. So the idea of them getting on the bus in the dark longer into the spring does not set well with me.

I think Indiana should be Central Time. Or maybe run the boundary somewhere from Fort Wayne to Indianapolis to New Albany somehow.

As far as the farm goes, it's not such a bother now that we are no longer milking cows. But the idea of more early morning accidents worry me.

Ann

14. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

This site will tells alot about the history of DST-

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/index.html

It left out one significant factor, though. The control aspect of mandating DST.

Apparently, when participation was optional, there was a problem with businesses that were subject to certain time laws.
    For instance, bars that were required to stop selling alcohol at ?? o'clock, were "getting over" by observing or not observing DST, whichever bettered their situation at the time.

The govt had to get control and participation was made into law.

We could all revolt and implement 'homesteader's solar time'.....
    high noon = sun straight up.
    Nothing confusing about that! :D