Why do they do that?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

At night...when it's not freezing....my goats typically gather to the front of the corral and stand there like they are scared/spooked. (They are very close to the house) There's nothing out there, except an occasional rabbit. Why do they all stand..shouldn't they be sleeping? Why do they act like they are afraid of something? I don't get them sometimes.

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I know that goats are really light sleepers - maybe you're waking them up when you go out and check on them?

Maybe they hear and smell something you can't?

I always find my goats awake, but the barn is aways up a gravel driveway. I figure they hear something crunching up the driveway and that wakes them up.

3. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Unless it's raining or snowing, my goats always stand outside-all night long. Where they stand is closest to our house-which is a good 75 feet away from the goat pen. We don't have a huge predator problem, so the only thing I can assume is that they feel comforted to have the house in sight-plus they can see all around them should something come prowling.

4. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Maybe they are waiting to see their favorite person? The one with the food that comes out of the house? :haha: