Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing government representatives saying we shouldn't restrict air travel to and from the 3 African countries with Ebola. And I still haven't heard an answer that has any logic to it.

The Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee made this recommendation.
In an interview on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday, McCaul said it is "important we eliminate the threat at the source, and the source really is in Africa where it's spreading like wildfire."

"I think we need to target more the individuals themselves, and look at the idea of potentially temporarily suspending the 13,000 visas that would be coming out of this region...when it comes to the original population out of West Africa leaving, I think until this gets under control that's a measure policymakers ought to be looking at." CBSNews
(I and others on this board recommended this about a week ago.)

Dr Fauci from NIH was asked on Fox News about the above quote and said this: "We shouldn't suspend air traffic to these countries because it might cause an economic crisis and the governments might fail, making it more difficult to control the Ebola outbreak." (paraphrased)

Why do people from these 3 countries have to travel to the US now? Business? Do it over the Internet or telephone. Pleasure? Wait until the crisis is over. Education? Go through a 3 week quarantine first. Medical? Case by case.

It would be cheaper for the US and Europe to give these 3 countries the money they need to keep them afloat than to have to prepare to fight Ebola at hundreds or even thousands of health facilities around the world. I bet China and India would kick in if it might keep Ebola out of their countries.

Controlling Ebola in the US is not the same as controlling Ebola in Africa. We are a highly mobile society and an infected person could easily come in contact with hundreds of people. The cascading effect of Ebola is staggering and I can't imagine most communities being able to handle even a single case, much less an outbreak. The CDC has already proven to be unprepared. It takes them a week to do what a private company could do in a day.

The logic of the CDC and our government regarding the control of Ebola in the US fails every logic test there is. Why are they lying? Incompetence or something else? I can't understand why someone like Dr Fauci, who has an excellent reputation, would make such an easily disproved statement.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
“We can’t control where the Ebola patient appears,” so every hospital’s emergency room needs to be prepared to isolate and take infection control precautions, Maki said.

That said, “I don’t think we should expect that small hospitals take care of Ebola patients. The challenge is formidable,” and only large hospitals like those affiliated with major universities truly have enough equipment and manpower to do it right, Maki said.

“If we allow it to be taken care of in hospitals that have less than optimal resources, we will promote the spread,” he warned.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/12/key-question-how-did-dallas-worker-contract-ebola/

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Hmmm.

Even though, these places are toilets of human misery, these countries have abundant natural resources, including oil, precious metals, diamonds, etc..

My guess would be that a lot of people who operate businesses, or work in those areas, may not particularity want to live there. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Hmmm.

Even though, these places are toilets of human misery, these countries have abundant natural resources, including oil, precious metals, diamonds, etc..

My guess would be that a lot of people who operate businesses, or work in those areas, may not particularity want to live there. :rolleyes:
oh so the rest of the world should risk an epidemic cause they can't be bothered to be inconvenienced till Ebola is at least somewhat under control?

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I know what is going on. The world's economies are weak, at best, and governments fear a total collapse if there is a worldwide Ebola panic. The Director General of WHO spilled the beans.

MANILA, Philippines (AP) -- The World Health Organization called the Ebola outbreak "the most severe, acute health emergency seen in modern times" on Monday but also said that economic disruptions can be curbed if people are adequately informed to prevent irrational moves to dodge infection.
"We are seeing, right now, how this virus can disrupt economies and societies around the world," she said, but added that adequately educating the public was a "good defense strategy" and would allow governments to prevent economic disruptions.
So the way I interpret this is, it is not the economies of the 3 African countries they are concerned about, but the worldwide economy as Ebola spreads to other countries.

·
Voice of Reason
52,183 Posts
oh so the rest of the world should risk an epidemic cause they can't be bothered to be inconvenienced till Ebola is at least somewhat under control?
Ebola isn't a likely disease to cause a pandemic. The problem is that it doesn't spread easily enough. A disease that spreads by airborne contact would be a more likely disease to cause a widespread disaster.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Ebola isn't a likely disease to cause a pandemic. The problem is that it doesn't spread easily enough. A disease that spreads by airborne contact would be a more likely disease to cause a widespread disaster.
Really? Tell that to the Africans living there it doesn't spread that easily. Are you so sure it isn't airborne? What do you base that on? or what facts do you have the rest of us don't? Even the cdc has admitted that if your are within a certain distance of a person there is that possibility.

(CNSNews.com) - Speaking in a video message to residents of West African countries currently experiencing outbreaks of Ebola, President Barack Obama dispensed advice on how residents can avoid the disease, including:"You cannot get it through casual contact like sitting next to someone on a bus."
At the same time, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is advising Americans who travel to the Ebola-stricken nations to "avoid public transportation."
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/bri...meone-bus-cdc-avoid-public#.VDqYlqIXQPU.email

If you worked in Africa, would you want forced to live there?
No. However, if that was the line of work I chose, then that's part of it. If Ebola really isn't such a problem then it should be containable in short order shouldn't it? And everyone can go back to life as usual.

I wonder why in the world would this guy would be saying this?

The scientist who discovered the Ebola virus in 1976 after a pilot brought him a blood sample from a Belgian nun who had mysteriously fallen ill in Zaire says the disease has pandemic potential and he now fears that the world is on the edge of an "unimaginable catastrophe."
http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/20...g-viral-pandemic-an-unimaginable-catastrophe/

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
To claim stopping people from W Africa from coming here can't be done is a pure and simple lie. Visas can be revoked, flights can be cancelled. Humanitarian flights would still be allowed.

Their economies are going to suffer no matter what, so that excuse doesn't hold water either. Even if they were major producers, the world doesn't need their exports more than life.

That just leaves one explanation, so please don't anyone misinterpret what I mean by this, but if you haven't noticed, the people from Africa are mainly black. Political correctness doesn't allow for quarantine (a form of segregation) to be used under that circumstance.

That's the insane world we live in.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Really? Tell that to the Africans living there it doesn't spread that easily. Are you so sure it isn't airborne? What do you base that on? or what facts do you have the rest of us don't? Even the cdc has admitted that if your are within a certain distance of a person there is that possibility.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/bri...meone-bus-cdc-avoid-public#.VDqYlqIXQPU.email

No. However, if that was the line of work I chose, then that's part of it. If Ebola really isn't such a problem then it should be containable in short order shouldn't it? And everyone can go back to life as usual.

http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/20...g-viral-pandemic-an-unimaginable-catastrophe/
xactly. I never understood why someone,say an American , would insist on hikeing the mountians of Iran,then, woops :huh: get thrown in the most disgusting prisons on earth-then whine.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts

Uh, because we have two confirmed cases of ebola in the U.S., so it just might be a little early, to hit the Panic button.

LOL

In another thread there was grumbling about "suspending the Constitution", in case of ebola quarantines.

By restricting travel, apparently it's OK to take away someone elses rights, just not mine.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
if they are saying it is not air borne,,,,and the nurse that tested postive said she did everything as protical said,,, then it is air borne or she would not be infected...taking off her isolation stuff the right way, would be enough.....but not if it is air borne...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts