Why do people lie about pregnant rabbits??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by birdie_poo, May 4, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I am astounded over how many people get rabbits from others wihtou being told they are pregnant, or simply lied to about it.

My daughter's friend couldn't keep her rabbit anymore, so my daughter begged for us to take it. I held it and it's nipples were distended, and it was doing the "hey, I'm bred" growl. I asked the mother if it was pregnant...oh, no, she's our only rabbit. I asked if she had been with any other rabbits, and she said, yes but that was well over a month ago, and if she were pregnant, they would have known.

Then why, when given a box, just in case, is she making a nest? If I had just ut her in a hutch, without listeing to my intuition, we would have had another baby-on-wire mess to deal with.

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Irresponsible people... our first litter was because someone thought it would be "cute" for the rabbits to be together, without our consent. They simply dun want to deal with finding homes for the babies, so why not just dump them on someone else?

3. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear that one. :D

We have does who are the sweetest mothers, does who growl and charge regardless of body status, and a doe who, having accidentally been left with a littermate that apparently was a buck, decided that - hey, why pull my own hair out to make a nest when I can pull out my sister's?

Seriously, though.. what is this "I'm bred" growl you speak of? :confused:

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

It's that uptight growling noise they make when they are pregnant, when you go to touch them...at least mine make noises.

I know what you are talking about with the hair. Before I seperated my trio, the doe that kindled was pulling the bucks fur. I couldn't tell who was who because I was trying to find theone with no belly hair...boy did I get fooled!

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Mine do the "i am bred" growl too. I think. Mine sound kinda like they are grunting when ya go to touch them but only when they are bred, is that the same one?

Anyway, I'd say they just lie about about it to get rid of the doe faster and not have to worry about finding homes for the kits.

Around here we kinda have the opposite problem. People telling other people the doe is bred when she isn't just to get more money.