Why do birds clip off plants?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by oberhaslikid, May 18, 2006.

1. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I for the life of me ,cant figure out why a bird clips off plants new in the garden.I planted my Mothers garden and every plant was ate off Peppers Tomatoes, cuckumbers ,squash.We planted New yesterday and strung flashy ribbon across the whole garden and pinwheels and piepans.What a site,2 hours later a Morning Dove came flying out of the center argggg. :flame:

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We have the same problem, and have had it for almost 30 years in 2 different gardens, 100 miles apart. I didn't believe it was birds until I actually saw them do it. We put tomato cages over the plants immediately after planting, and then put netting over the entire part of the garden with tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. We leave the netting for a week or 2, and by then the plants don't seem so appealing to the birds.

We found that the only thing that worked was the netting to keep the birds out completely.

I think that you are the first person to have a similar problem to ours that I have heard of.

3. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

I might be a third one. :) I swear (nah, never do that) that I saw some of my seedlings "clipped" about an inch off the ground. Boogers.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I think they do it because they are nasty, vicious, mean, and... and...

I don't know.

But they are certainly wastrel ruffians! Think of how they will take ONE bite -- one teeny, nibbling bite -- of a strawberry, and then leave the rest.

GRrrrrrrrrrrr!

Feathered fiends... :grump:

Pony!

5. Honey Berry

Honey Berry Well-Known Member

And I thought it was the rabbits all this time!