Why didn't I become a well digger?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by tinetine'sgoat, Jan 4, 2007.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I called the well digger yesterday to find out about how much it might cost to have a well dug when/if we build the house. I couldn't believe how much it was. It was 14 dollars a foot to dig PLUS another 15 dollars a foot for casing. AND because the place we want to do this is in a bottom area, we might not be able to get down past the sand which means we might not get a well at all. EEEEKKK!!! I had no idea well digging cost so much or had so many variables! Now I know, and I could have made my fortune being a well digger :p .

2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Actually that sounds very cheep! Why do you need to get past the sand and why is it a problem?

3. tinetine'sgoat

I guess around here that the shallow wells that are sand wells are often the ones that smell like rotten eggs (does that mean sulfer?) and most area's around here the good sources are at 200-300 ft. That's what he told me anyway, and that the sand in these area's often is so fine that it nearly impossible to put a casing through. So he might get to the sand and simply not be able to get through it, says it acts almost like a quick sand, caves in faster than you can get through it. The rural water is real close to this place and wouldn't cost near that much to hook up. I figure we can set rain barrels for alot of the stuff we wouldn't want to waste rural water on.

4. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

My husband said the same thing when we got burned on our well. "I shouldn't been a well driller." We drilled 325 ft and paid $8000 for basically a dry hole (1/2-gallon/minute). DH was really upset the day he wrote that check. DH was even more upset when the guy pulls up in a brand new truck. DH said, "well, we just bought HIM a big piece of that new truck we wanted." We were new to the area and found out only later that that certain drilling guy was known for being...let's say less than honest. We try not mention well drilling in our house around DH anymore :).

5. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

For the well driller it's not all profit. That drilling rig can cost up to $350,000.00 plus the other vehicles he needs to have to do his work.

6. dirtundernails

dirtundernails Well-Known Member

One of the drillers here just lost a $6000 bit, over 300 feet down. Bit went into a pocket, twisted sideways and broke off. They spent several days trying to retreive it. No luck. Zero profit on that job. Usually, one of the reasons that certain things are so expensive is the capital outlay, maintanence and risk factors. As for the nice truck mentioned, he might just be up to his eyes in debt. I bet he could guarantee the well, if you guarantee what the ground is like all the way down to good water! :)

We have about $12,000 in our 660 foot hole.

HOD

7. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

One big downside to being a well digger. I've heard that a certain part of your anatomy gets VERY cold. :shrug:

8. tinetine'sgoat

According to my husbands shrieks when I climb into bed at night, I already have that part covered!! :help:

9. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone here actually seen someone dig a well?? Have seen many driven amd drilled wells.
    Looked at an old farm in southern Indiana that had a dug well they said was 63 feet deep with much of it through sand stone.

10. tinetine'sgoat

I went in last night and looked up hand dug wells and it just looked completely terrifying to me. Everyone around here uses drilled wells that gives you about a 6 inch hole in the ground.

11. SteveD(TX)

Sounds more like you have that part uncovered to me with the shrieks and all. :shrug:

12. tinetine'sgoat

So maybe it is just naked well diggers that have the problem then. :angel:

13. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Dug my frist well at about 14. We needed a new well and I over heard my father talking to my mother about having it dug and what it would cost. The next day me and a friend approched him about digging it. Sure you get me so much water and you get your hundred dollars.
    He had had it witched and marked where the best location should be so after school and saturdays we dug and dug. a couple of old well diggers gave us advise and loaned us a windless. Finally one day when we got home and got down into the well there was a little mud in one side, about an hour of digging and a stream of water about the size of a quarter. Thenext day 22 ft of water and we had fifty dollars each.
    Over the years dug four more, cleaned out several, then just after I got married got into a gas pocket and almost sufficated before they could get me out. A little latter a friend died in a cave in, never went back into a well and never will.
    14 dollars a ft cheap for something that can easly be a killer.

14. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd do a little more checking.

We put in a new well just over a year ago, 200 foot, brand new with casing, pump, nice hydrant, new tank and all and it was less than $5000.

If Missouri has a department of environmental quality or a water resources division, you might even check with them for information. Here in OK, they couldn't give recommendations, but they could tell you if any drillers had complaints against them and how many/if they were resolved or not.

15. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Ours was drilled over 700 feet. Sand all the way down. We never did hit bedrock. Ended up with 10" casing for the first 20 feet, 6" casing from 0-150' and 5+" casing from 0-650 ft. Ended up costing us over $30K for our well and we only have somewhere between 1/2 - 3/4 gallon a minute.

16. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

I'll admit that there is some overhead in drilling a well. It is not cheap by no means. If you hit good water it is all worth it...if you don't, it's a bummer. But that is a fact of life I guess.
    a 1/2 gal. per minute well is not all loss. You can do many things with a well that produces only a 1/2 gal. per minute of water.With a cistern system it can run a house and you can do a small garden and some animals.
    When we drilled our well, it was excellent water, but a low volume. 1 1/4 gal per minute. It is 420 feet deep and works fine. Water was hit at 102' and 250'. Bedrock was at 104'. Static pressure in casing is at 58'. Everything together cost $11,000. and I did the plumbing and pressure tank hookup on the top side of it. Put a 3 gal. minute one way valve on the line which works good and gives me more water time for stuff.
    All I can say is that it works and does about everything I want with it for the last three years now.

17. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

man I got a deal after reading your posts. mine took 4 days to put in. the guy who did it was a great old guy Named Dan Stephan. he said he started pounding wells when he was 14 and he had done thousands at that point. he used one of those old pounders on my well. he went down 165ft and found good flow at 12 gallons a minute. he said it was sand for the first 25' and then heavy clay till 133' then hard rock. it was something to watch. when he got done he and his buddy trenched the line to the house and plumbed it to the blatter all for $3,650. and its set up to run a 1 hp pump.

18. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, I must be really blessed with water quantity. When we put ours in, we ran it out for the first 24 hours straight (or was it 48?) to clean it. It ran full blast and never slowed down a bit. I can't remember how it was pumping, but it was a far sight more than a gallon a minute.

19. SteveD(TX)

Wow - $43 per foot has to be a record. I can't imagine going through rock for the whole 700 feet and it costing that much. Around here, drillers quote around $12.00 - $14.00 per foot including all casing, pump, and pressure tank. The only extra charge is for the line from the well to the house.

20. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Yep, and the cost of off-road diesel now must make those guys cringe. They go through a lot of fuel drilling through the rock around here. Broken bits aren't unusual, either.

Our well is 450 ft and we paid $8K. They first hit water at about 160 ft, but it was less than a gal/min, so we said "keep going". At our current depth, we're getting 4.5 gal/min with 300 ft of reservoir.