Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason every time we try to grow any root veggies (beets, radishes, carrots, turnips, etc.) they don't do very well and we get very little or underdeveloped roots. Sometimes the greens come out just fine but then we we pull them there is hardly anything. I live in central North Carolina.

Our garden probably doesn't get as much sun as it needs (due to trees) which is part of the problem maybe but our greens (lettuces, kale, collards, etc.) seem to do just fine and even thrive.

We use raised beds and we add compost and organic matter into the soil before each planting. Our soil in the ground is probably too much clay which is why we did raised beds. But I'm wondering if we should try out planting in the soil next time....

Frustrating! :hair

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Too much nitrogen or too little sun are the two things I look at when getting good plant growth and poor fruiting or root development.I find it most prevalent in potato and tomato. Lot's of good looking vine,few if any tomato or potato.

Wade

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
If you are growing happy greens as listed, you are short on sun for other crops. Your greens like some shade and cooler conditions.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Since root crops are almost all cool season crops, the time of planting should be considered.

If you are just adding compost to the topmost layer, that will encourage speedy greens growth, but using up the water soluble nitrogen and phosphorus, so having no nutrients at the lower depths could be a factor.

They all need six or more hours of sunshine to really thrive--maybe even more during the early season--or Fall/Winter season, because the rays will be less direct or "intense" for photosynthesis.

Watering could be the problem if your water isn't penetrating down to the root zone and staying there where it can be used.

Soil texture could be a factor: too much fibrous compost materials might not let the root be encased in enough soil to form 'hair' type roots to uptake nutrients. They may be surrounded by too much air, too...(loose)

geo

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
One of my friends complained of the same thing. Beautiful tops and tiny roots. She was watering them with Miracle Grow. Way too much nitrogen.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Too much nitrogen or too little sun are the two things I look at when getting good plant growth and poor fruiting or root development.I find it most prevalent in potato and tomato. Lot's of good looking vine,few if any tomato or potato.

Wade
Full sun means at least 6 hours of direct sun. I have noticed that plants with afternoon shade do much better here. I have even seen gardens with shade cloth over them. They did well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts