Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Melissa said:
Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?
Actually, you know, CNN stated yesterday that no one could find this alleged poll, and questioned whether it actually exists, but that didn't keep them from mocking that poor girl...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
wow....I cant EVEN make sense of the 'pageant answer'!!!!

I am surprised at the number of JH/HS teachers that instead of teaching some elementary concepts, they would rather complain that So-and-so didnt do their job and didnt teach the kids that concept in (whatever) grade.....

we recently had a senior girl tell the English teacher that Hurricane Erin hit Kingfisher OKLAHOMA....and wouldnt be reasoned with that hurricanes dont come this far inland!

This English teacher told another student that Tropical Storm Erin became Hurricane Dean......okay so she teaches Eng. and not science

Rachel

Rachel

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
That was pretty much the consensus.

Most of us have had one "freeze" moment or so in front of a crowd.

Too bad it had to be on National TV and when you are 18. Let alone the blonde jokes...

It was painful for me to watch. She obviously didn't even remember the question. Poor kid. Pretty little thing, though...

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Melissa said:
But seriously, why would people not be able to find the US on a world map? <which is really why I posted this!>
Because they have been raised to believe that the United States IS the world. They are unaware that there is a real, live world outside our own nation's borders, and there's no point studying a globe and learning about places that don't really exist, right?

It's amazing to me that, though I work among very well-educated people, I often still get "Where is that??" when I tell people about where I'm going for my next vacation. An incredible number of people haven't been anywhere or even read about other places, so it's all sort of boring and nonexistent to them.

That should serve us well in an increasingly global economy, don't you think? :rolleyes:

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would think that even if all a person had ever seen was a US map, they could still pick that out on world map. I bought my kids puzzles of the US and the world, they had balls with maps on them, and I know by 2nd grade they had to learn all of the continents and label them on a world map. If this survey is valid, it is perplexing to me!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I know she was caught off guard, which is a shame, but they usually have crash courses, and coaching, and her coach and probably her parents should get a kick in the butt for telling her to use words like "SUCH AS" to fill in blanks. That sounded totally stupid, she was throwing that in everywhere which really made her sound that much more ignorant. Schools dont teach much history and and geography, they teach the LEAP test , so the schools look good. They promote the "THREE R"s" which is ignorant because only one of those subjects actually begin with "R". I feel sorry for her she is getting bashed all over the internet.

·
Premium Member
18,414 Posts
Let's face it, people don't use maps anymore. All they do is go to YahooMaps or MapBlaster, etc and find what they need.

And just to be the "devil's advocate," I might ask, "Why would anyone ever realistically need to find the USA on a world map?"

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Cabin Fever said:
And just to be the "devil's advocate," I might ask, "Why would anyone ever realistically need to find the USA on a world map?"
Because it's one of the ways in which we are human rather than animal. An animal only knows the geography of its immediate surroundings and whatever range it needs to supply itself with food/mates/shelter. A human being who knows exactly that and no more is pretty much a dumb animal. Human beings learn from the learnings of other humans and create this thing called "culture" - reject it, and you're just another critter. And much less educated than your typical migratory bird, to boot.

Plus, I thought Melissa's example in her last post was a possibility. :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Ok, my school kids (homeschooled and public schooled, lets not start that debate! LOL) here are 6,9 and 15. They all shown me within seconds and we havent really studied maps that much yet. I think that poll is a bunch of hoooey.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Melissa said:
I bought my kids puzzles of the US and the world,

Melissa- I think this is the key...parents making an issue of geography. My boys also have US and World maps on their walls. When we talk of places we always point them out on the maps. When we travel we always hand them the atlas and have them point out where we are and when we cross over into another state they can see it on the map.

My youngest (age 4) has an imaginary friend named "Lisa Pizza" and she is from China. He knows right where China is, how far it is from the United States and all kinds of interesting facts about China because he is so interested because of his "friend". If I didn't pay any attention to this he would not know all of this.

I really started making an effort when one of my friends (a pastor) brought a load of teens (15 and 16) to my house to spend the night after they spent the weekend in Cleveland and were on their way home to the Lancaster Pa area. She told me these teens were "wondering" how many states they would be passing through to get to Cleveland from Lancaster.... and oh yeah...they would be seeing the Empire State building while they were there wouldn't they?!?!?!?
Right then and there I decided if I want my children to know something then I would teach them...if they learn it again in school...great ...they will just be that much further ahead.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.