Why are threads being closed

Discussion in 'HomesteadingToday Announcements & Support' started by painterswife, Mar 23, 2015.

1. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Several times it has been mentioned in the other forums that the discussion on the posts being used off site could be discussed here and here only. However you keep closing them.

WHY?

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

3. Dixie Bee Acres

Dixie Bee Acres Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with the question. You deleted a post of mine and even PMed me to tell me that discussions on this topic are to be had in this forum, and not all over the boards, yet the dicussion threads are locked?
    Nothing like speaking sign language while wearing mittens.

4. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

5. Dixie Bee Acres

Thank you Miss Angie, I saw the post, but that changes nothing.
    Other people may have question and or concerns on this matter. Those, therefore, lead to conversations and discussions. Your own words say to have those discussions here, and you even offer a link to s locked thread.
    How can we have a discussion in a locked thread?
    Angie, I appreciate you trying to be a catcher in a batting cage, but it isn't hard to see that the higher ups than you are hiding behind you and their ability to lock a thread.

6. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Again, Steve is spinning. Interesting the thread was closed so no one could debate Steve's statement. Go back a few pages to contrast what he wrote then as opposed to what he wrote before the thread was closed.

But to answer the OP's question:

This is big business, driven by money at any cost. Read Carbon Media's web site. You'll see by the verbiage used where they are coming from, who their target audience and advertisers are.

Aside from the cattle forum, the pig forum and others (wish I could find out all to see how really deep this cancer runs) they own a biking forum (bicycles) that is having similar issues and now only a few readers/posters.

Angie is the mod on that forum also, writing under an alias until she outed herself in December. Not the front porch gal I envisioned.

DAVID In Wisconsin and arcticow like this.
  7. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I have to agree. They are told to discuss it here, yet the threads get closed. I am also not happy at the number of people that think us mods knew about this or had something to do with it.

8. Dixie Bee Acres

Wendy, I don't think you knew about it. As a former admin of a forum and mod of others, I know all to well that many people think mods know all, yet they really are left in the dark a lot of the time.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Melissa, Wendy, Rick and 8 others like this.
  9. partndn

partndn free leonard peltier Supporter

See, that's what I can't get my head around. Carbon seems to be a big outfit with some high vis clients to please. But clearly, their fooling with stuff has only diminished site participation in more than one forum. The internet is a big place. The number of potential users is pretty much already set. The way you KEEP views and the benefit that may come from advertising is to let users have some kind of convenience: use of site without harassment, and not being treated like a bunch of lab monkeys for experimentation.

How does ticking off the user population equal a gain for marketing or value of ad sales? Makes no sense.

10. painterswife

I agree. They have basically said in a round about way that they knew what they were doing and it was wrong. They just keep trying to gloss over it by saying it was then setting the wrong settings. be honest, be upfront, that would go a lot further to repairing the damage you have done.

How can you watch something going on for several months and say it was the wrong settings? You either did it on purpose or you are really crappy at your job. I know which one I believe it is.

We have no problem with this site making money. The question is do I want to be a part of a forum that won't step up to the plate and admit they knowingly did something unethical. Do I want to offer advise or opinions to threads that could very well be shills looking for views for dollars?

11. CMGSteve

CMGSteve Member

The moderators had absolutely nothing to do with this.

We had used a couple of RSS (stands for really simple syndication) feeds from forums here to re-post the stuff on a couple of very small external sites. We were not specifically copying individual users posts but rather stuff that came out of the feed similar to what we would publish on a Facebook Fan page. This site has a lot of great content and we were sharing that content elsewhere.

Obviously this was a flawed idea and we are sorry. It will not happen again in any way shape or form.

farmrbrown likes this.
  12. Dixie Bee Acres

Ok, that is an explanation of what was done, the question is why, and was it ethical?
    As to why? I believe it was to make the smaller sites appear to have more traffic, thusfor making them appear more valuable to advertisers.
    Do the advertisers know what you did?

Was it ethical? I don't think so. As was pointed out earlier, it wouldn't have been bad had it been a link back to here and the original poster. You claim it was supposed to do that, but yet it took several months begore someone else caught on before it was put to a stop. How can you let a "mistake" like that go on for that long and not catch it?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

13. painterswife

Okay, you set up an RSS feed to post under fake user names. You did that on purpose because you actually had to give the setting the name to post that under.

Then you let it go on for several months ( until you were caught). You even had someone post using those user names to further the discussion about stuff they never did.

Then you try to tell us that you hit the wrong setting.

You played games with the users on those other sites.
    You plagiarized postings from this site by posing them under fake user names.

Why should we trust the management of this site with any further postings?

14. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

Trust is a hard thing to get back. How are you planning on getting it back? Or do you care if you do or not. A lot of knowledge is walking out as we speak.

15. Tiempo

Tiempo Moderator Staff Member

I'm curious about something, that bicycle forum that Wolf Mom referred to (and boy, are they not happy) allows posters to link to other sites, yet that is not allowed here at all.

Why the inconsistency? Who's policy is this?

16. Tiempo

Tiempo Moderator Staff Member

Judging by buzz I've read elsewhere, they do now.

17. painterswife

I get the feeling that they think because this is a Homesteading forum that the members are not tech savy.

18. TRellis

TRellis Well-Known Member

So in other words, you were stealing "intellectual property" from HT forum members and using it in other forums in the hopes of boosting usage and membership in the other forums thus making more money through ad sales?

And yes, I do believe that stealing is the appropriate word.

And why is it that we should now trust you?

TRellis

19. nchobbyfarm

nchobbyfarm Well-Known Member

Willow seemed to have evidence that her post was COPIED but posted under a user name of Alice. That sounds like specifically copying to me. Are you saying that she did not see her post attributed to Alice?

20. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I advise everyone to not trust anyone that you don't know in real life. Even then, be careful with trust.