Why are posts I made here showing up on CattleForum.com?!

Discussion in 'HomesteadingToday Announcements & Support' started by willow_girl, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Several threads I posted here have been replicated in their entirety (including pictures) on another forum called CattleForum.com, posted under the username "Alice."

See here: http://www.cattleforum.com/showthread.php?t=286

http://www.cattleforum.com/showthread.php?t=280

I am not Alice!

I thought someone was impersonating me for kicks, then I noticed that several other people's posts from HT's cattle forum had also been replicated there, also posted by "Alice."

Then Numb noticed that Cattleforum.com is also owned by Carbon Media, which also owns HT.

What is going on here? Are you borrowing content from this board and using it to build another for-profit forum? As I understand from the terms and conditions, you have a right to do so, as anything I post here belongs to you. But my concern is over the fact you're lumping posts from several people under the same username, "Alice." So if someone sees my initial cow rescue post, and recognizes me, they'll think I'm simply posting as "Alice" on the other forum. And then if "Alice" goes on to say something objectionable, or gives someone very bad advice or information, they'll think it's coming from ME! And I have a problem with that.

2. Atoman

Atoman Member

pla·gia·rism
    ˈplājəˌrizəm/

noun: plagiarism; plural noun: plagiarisms

the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.
    synonyms: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing;
    informalcribbing

Origin
    early 17th century: from Latin plagiarius ‘kidnapper’ (from plagium ‘a kidnapping,’ from Greek plagion ) + -ism.

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

I'll go see about getting it taken care of.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Angie, I see that you're also the admin of CattleForum. I suspect you know exactly what's going on there, and I think you owe me (and the other people whose material has been borrowed, without proper attribution) an apology! :mad:

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thank you, Angie. You did indeed get right on it and delete the threads in which you plagiarized me!

But I see Alice's many other posts -- which were originally posted by various other people over at HT -- have been allowed to stand.

How about you do the right thing with them, too?

6. Tiempo

Tiempo Moderator Staff Member

This is very disturbing.

7. Tiempo

Ok, I was looking at the HT FAQ section and now I am really disturbed.

Am I reading this correctly, can HT (carbon media) also use your PRIVATE messages as they please?

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

9. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Does that say that those stories people are writing and posting are now owned by Carbon? Pictures? Recipes?

10. AngieM2

The rules of the forum have always said submissions become HST property and can be used. Like in the newsletter, facebook, etc.

That wording has never changed since the start of the forum.

And the copied posts have been removed. It was a try at a feed and got carried away. It's turned off.

Osiris, mzgarden and Muleman like this.
  11. AngieM2

Well, I've yet to see how any private messages can be accessed. So, I don't know how that would work out.

Muleman likes this.
  12. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

The posts involving MY content have been removed. How about all the other posts which used (misused) other people's content?

Why not just delete your made-up poster "Alice" and all her posts entirely?

13. AngieM2

Willow and any others - sorry that feed picked up your postings. It was a try at something that at first did not seem to work, and was forgotten. Apparently it worked too well, so those have been deleted. Cattle and pig forums.

Earlier posts by that Alice seems to be regular posts. So those were left standing.

Muleman likes this.
  14. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

And, while what you are doing may be legal, in accordance with your terms and conditions, I have to question whether it's ethical.

And that's not even the worst of it. The worst part is that Numb is now insisting on calling me 'Alice'! :pound:

15. AngieM2

For that, I am truly sorry! :)

mzgarden likes this.
  16. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

So are you saying that you hijacked a legitimate user's account to perpetrate this fraud? Double shame on you for that.

Also, looking at CattleForum.com, you didn't remove all the fraudulent threads. For instance, there's

http://www.cattleforum.com/showthread.php?t=255
    'Calf growling stomach, not eating after castration' - which appears in HT here:
    http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/li...ling-stomach-not-eating-after-castration.html
    originally posted by AnnaK

Then there are all the HT posts appearing under a different name over on pigforum.com ...

If you're really going to clean up this mess, it seems you have your work cut out for you. I hope Carbon Media is paying you well!

17. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Bessie is also responsible for a large number of copies including some very recent ones. Angie, please tell your employers this is no way to run a business.

18. Tiempo

That doesn't make section 4 any less disturbing.

19. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........looks like HST has been infected by the Facebook business model whereby they can manipulate the members info and exploit , <IT> for as much $$$$$ as they can extract for their own enrichment ! , fordy:coffee:

20. AngieM2

I'll let the know on Monday. And will do clean up on them today and maybe into tomorrow. Depends on how many. I don't think it was tried before jan.

And Alice is a corporate person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.