why are homesteaders charged so much?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by michiganfarmer, Jul 19, 2006.

1. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I read a thread about a homesteader buying a 5 year old jersy for $1000, and she only gives 3 gallons of milk per day. Why was she so expensive? A low production jersy is not worth that much. She definately isnt worth that much for beef. I can buy pregnant dairy heifers from proven 80lb per day(10 gallons per day) Holstine dairy cattle for $1100. I can buy beef brood cows that will give a couple gallons of milk per day for $600. Why, when a homesteader wants a milk cow for the family, do people charge top dairy cow prices for some old rag of a cow?

I am buying an angus/holstein cross heifer this fall. I was told I can have her for $600. Im going to put her in with a bull in sept. If she gets bred I will have a milk cow in the spring that will produce just as much as that jersy, and she sure as hell wont cost me $1000

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

They see them coming from a mile away. People that buy their first cow, ask first timer questions. The person selling knows this, and will make them pay dearly. It is being dishonest, however that is the way most people work. I wouldn't do this, especially if I was getting rid of a cow that wasn't worth that much because A: she isn't producing much and B: which is more important to me, isn't worth a darn genetic wise. I like good genetics.

Jeff

3. crtreedude

crtreedude Year round grower

Usually because they will pay it. I am not saying it is right - but then again - not doing your research isnt smart either.

Go into anyplace (like a used car dealership) without doing your homework and you will end up lighter in the wallet than you should be. You have to be able to evaluate what you are buying - or be able to evaulate the person you are buying from.

I guess all I am saying is this is just life - it isn't picking on homesteaders.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I think this happens when you go to buy anything. There are good honest people and then there are the people that try to take advantage of others. I guess that's why you have to educate yourself as much as possible when it comes to a new venture.

Whenever I sell something I try and be as fair as possible. Most of the time I'm dealing with friends or people that I will bump in to at the store. I think people do a lot of damage to themselves if they aren't fair. If a person thinks they were taken advantage of they will never buy from you again. Also that person's freinds will never buy from you either.

Heather

5. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Some people are set on a pure breed like Jerseys, and I keep hearing that some can’t find one, unless they go to a dairy. So, if there’s a short supply, demand will raise prices. So, in a way, if people want them badly, they aren’t overpriced. Overpriced to a dairyman isn’t overpriced to a homesteader.

People are often advised here and elsewhere to get a poor producing dairy cow so they won’t have the problem of too much milk. Unfortunately, there are reasons besides genetics that cows may produce poorly, including chronic mastitis like the cow I bought had.

I was told by the dairy she had a “light teat”. Sounded to me like it just didn’t work right, whatever that means. In hindsight, I should have asked more questions, but I wanted a cow badly. I see that kind of enthusiasm from some here, and people often don’t want to hear anything to dampen it. Dairies can be salesmen, too, and you obviously want to capitalize on impulse buying. Get it sold quickly before they have time to think about it.

Anyway, I like your strategy of a beef/dairy cross heifer that you can know doesn’t have any pre-existing problems, and won’t overproduce too badly.