Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any goat can beat Luna! I swear she knows exactly what gets our goat (pun intended.) A list of the things she does:

Pretends to have Polio. (Yes, it's true! When we start talking about maybe giving her shots, she immediately perks up and stops -- every time unless she really does have Polio.)

Jumps on our backs when we lean over to take a picture.

Jumps on our legs any time.

Slips between our legs and escapes from the fence every chance she gets.

Gorges on any fresh straw we put down every so often and gets polio from it. (Okay, maybe that's just dumbness, but it's hard on us!)

So . . . do you have goats who can beat that? We'll see . . . ;)

P.S. When she was a kid she would eat hair too -- the person we bought her from had a huge chunk missing right before going to a wedding -- or so she says. Maybe she was exaggerating. :D

·
A teeny bit goat crazy
1,338 Posts
You would expect it to be a doe wouldn't you?
Rudy is sweet but bratty. He likes to mouth and nibble me so he ends up biting me every time I touch his fence or open a gate. Also he tried to eat one of my chickens. No joke. She was trying to squeeze under the gate and got caught. Rudy ran over to her and proceeded to start plucking and eating her feathers.

·
Legally blonde!
3,318 Posts
The brattiest? Probably Eleanor whom actually came from Yarrow ;). Don't get me wrong I love that girl to DEATH but mercy does she have strong will down to the core. She will bite your butt cheeks (no joke and she does it HARD), she will shove into your leg for attention, jumps on you, if you get after her for jumping she will butt you.

She is a total doll face and I love her but heaven help the person who says "Don't do that" :hysterical:.

Justine

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
LOL I thought Calico was a brat but you all have her beat. She's never bitten my butt cheek or eaten one of my chickens or climbed on my back. She's our only baby - Nellie had a single and the other 4 does didn't come with their babies. They've all babied the heck out of her and let her get away with murder. She hops on the milk stand with the does, goes where she wants to go when she wants to go there and is difficult to catch. Plus she is 6 months old and still has to be kept separated from Nellie because she starts nursing as soon as she sees her.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Geez, I am really new to goats and only have four little ones. Two days in a row they tripped me up and I fell on my head while trying to feed them...still have a stiff neck LOL. Today we came back from town with goat feed and were getting ready to pour it into the big metal trash can when the littlest one some how leapt straight up and into the trash can feet first. Then I went to lift her out and she popped up again and was out...the trash can was empty LOL>

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
My only bratty goat is the very first one I got Dixie. I'm pretty sure that's why she was so cheap : / She is the only one who dashes past me on her way into the barn, so she doesn't have to go the stall with everyone else. She had tiny little teats that have miniscule openings. Its impossible to milk her because of this....well and also because when you try to milk her she lies down on the milking stand! She also lies down if you try to trim her feet : ( She's kind of a stinker all the way around.

But in her defense, she is a wonderful mom. She never has trouble getting bred.Has beautiful babies with little or no help. And stays healthy year round. And when all you want to do is pet her or talk to her she is the sweetest goat of all. Her udder and the size of her teats seems to be improving too, but I doubt I will ever milk her. I raise kids from her to sell at auction and she dries up easily when her kids are removed. So even though she is a reg. Togg, she may as well be a meat goat doe. Here's a pic of her with her 2014 kids.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And I will keep Dixie until the day she dies. What can I say? She's like family and family isn't always perfect!
Exactly! Not only is Luna super bratty, but she's on the small side AND has health problems, so she will never be 'useful' (meaning, have kids.) However, we would never, ever sell her under any circumstances because we love her! :kissy: LOL

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Jasmine. She leads the goats the opposite way every time. If the gate is cracked she butts it open and tries to lead everyone out. She crawls under fences and bawls and bawls until someone follows her. Then she bawls and bawls because she can't get back in. She also bawls and bawls for no reason. The other day Jamie heard a goat in distress across the road in the high weeds and bushes. I said "it's just Jasmine". Jamie said no way. Something is wrong. She walked across the road and started searching for her. Not long after I see her coming back. I asked "well?" She said that B$&@"!!!! Lol

http://www.spottednubian.com/index.html

·
A teeny bit goat crazy
1,338 Posts
Ok, the two in milk are bratty too. I'm afraid I'll loose a finger trying to only let 1 at a time out of the gate in the morning. So far Cookie and Almond Joy are good goaties...but then again neither have ever been in milk and Cookie isn't sure whether she likes me or not since I took her horns off, but I am the bringer of the food. I guess she is kind of bratty in that I have to bribe her to come to me and even then I have to be sneaky to grab her collar. Now that I think of it, She is the one that showed all the other goats how to break the feeders off my rabbit cages, and she wouldn't even let me anywhere near her the night I went into labor...she made me chase her all over my backyard and I couldn't give up because she would have let all my rabbits out and my husband couldn't really help because he had just had his appendix out.

I have just had an epiphany that she is secretly my brattiest goat. 0_0

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have saanens. They are calm cool and collected. I have one doe that tries to nurse my fingers everytime I see her. She was one week old when we got her. And she climbs into my lap when I sit in the pasture with them. She just pushes her way into my lap and leisurely chews her cud. About as bratty as it gets here.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That is what I love about Saanens. :D That being said, I have one who is a gate jumper (not all gates, just specific gates in the barn). She has also, however, spent the last month or so trying to get Sundae (Nubian) to adopt her. So maybe she's trying to convince Madam Herd Queen that she can SO have personality. But she made weight and went into heat both yesterday, so here's to hoping that she'll settle in more ways than one!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts