Who's In on the 4600 acres???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jun 12, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Was reading about 4600 acres for sale in WV, cost 5.5 Million. I think we could get it for less.

For those keeping score at home that's a little over 7 square miles of space.

So I was figuring at this cost that the cost per acre is about 1400 per acre. This is considering that only 80% would be usuable and we bought it at 5 million.

We build our own homestead city at the center, bakeries, mills, factories (producing good usa made goods of high quality) and then we sell parcels minimum of 10 acres. We sell them for 2400 an acre, any profits going for improvements to interior roads etc.

We set up our own power generation, we can grid it for OUR place only... no connection to the rest of the grid, unless the members would vote for it.

It's open to everyone who wants to come as long as they are intersted in homesteading. Share holders have votes for decisions. You become a share holder by buying property.

okay, it's just silly dreaming, but wouldn't it be cool? If I had 30 Million... LOL.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

80% usable??

i'm guessing it is in the mountains of wv. if so, you will be doing good to end up with 20% usable.

the only 1400/ac land left in appalachia is remote, inaccesible and in a poverty stricken place, ie. no work.

i strongly suggest a thorough walk through.

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Admitedly I am going by what the ad said about it being 80% usable.

4. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Usable for what? I suppose you could get creative. Use it for mountain goats or tourist chalets... ;) Dumping toxic waste...it's been done. That's a USE, I guess.

5. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Where in WV Zeal? I love WV. Live in WV by choice.

But 80% tillable is a stretch. Takes a lot of hard work and many times a bull dozer to get pasture around this neck of the woods.

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

There was good land level land fronting a road at 1k an acre with a trailer and pond in eastern KY my grandpa sold 50 acres cheap to a friend of his sons that goes there for hunting. Admittedly my realtor cousins told him it was worth a lot more but I guess a lot of it it is who you know.My mom and dad could have bought it when I was a baby but they passed it up cause it has a gas line going thru it.

7. SkizzlePig

SkizzlePig Well-Known Member

Zeal-
    I share the dream, brother. That would be sweet. Unfortunately, the money would be the most immediate obstacle. Now, I've got something to distract my tired mind.

Keep dreamin', Zeal ... that's where the light bulb came from. Some dreams may never be realized, but they may spur other dreams that do!

Nicely dreamt!

8. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

In northern BC (that's in Canada) you can get the most beautiful land for $350 an acre, fenced, barns, corrals, house of sorts (tear down), quite a bit in hay, trees. Minimum building lot is 160 acres -- forget the 10 acre bit, unless you just love WV, then have a good time.

I need more room, and a LOT less people than 460 families, on only 30 quarters (how many people ? gonna need a Wart Mart and MadDonalds, right on site -- nope, not for me -- thanks though.)

I am not some type of land snob, but I do know what is the correct density, it's not 10 acre tract houses -- with poluted horsey land, or condominimum councils and rules -- no sireee Bob.

I am a little sorry about being so strong about this. And before you write me asking where you can get $350 an acre excellent bottom land: check the archives. My gosh, just think about it: $350 an acre, for good land?

Alex

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Alex you know the problem is Canada does not want us now. you need to have 200k before you can go there, were not allowed to work and all. Is it an option for people to just buy the land and grow their own food and live off of it? If you get sick and you dont have any $ cause they wont let you work or sell produce from your property will they treat you anyway?

10. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I'm with ya Bob!

now... all we need is that money.. hmmm thinking thinking thinking...
    sure is fun to dream isn't it?

11. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

Well, I already have enough WV hillside thanks :p

WVPeach is right about the dozer, I had to have one in here twice to level things out a bit. Not that it's level at all. I'm going to be running a small herd of sheep and goats once I can afford fencing. First I have to make a flat spot somewhat near the house for a barn. It can be interesting to make things work here, but it sure is beautiful.

BTW $1400 per acre is pretty darn high, especially in that large a parcel.

12. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

DITTO we found land for sale in TN and other places that was wonderful in our community threads and it was only $500 an acre.

13. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

what is the timber volume for this place?does it have a up to date cruise on it?if so how many BF does it say?

14. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I know of 10,000 acres for sale for half a mil....but is all been clear cut :shrug:
    My BIL is courting the deal...

15. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Alex! SHHHH!!!

Northern BC is one of Canada's best kept secrets. Let's not tip our hand :D

Tracy

16. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

no work is the point. Most of us dont want a paycheck. most of us want to live off the land

17. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

18. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

DITTO
    though if it is a poverty stricken area it may be hard to find folks to buy our excess produce unless their is a big city with a farmers market with in an hour or so.

19. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

well, it is a dream, but while at it, think of Switzerland and Austria. you can check out Krameterhof and look at all the pictures, we went to visit it three years ago and I was wowed. Talk about steep hillside, but it is the most fantastic farm I ever saw. the guy used a back hoe to terrasse the place, dig multiple ponds from big to small, grow things that normally are impossible to grow there (little siberia). the pictures do not do it justice. People charter buses from Vienna to pick berries. He has pigs do the tilling and sells the hams etc. bees,keeps deer to sell venison to restaurants, mushrooms en masse and berries, berries, berries, hundreds and hundreds of fruit trees. His site does not do the farm justice. It looks wild because he has all those wild plants growing that go well with the cultivated plants. His orchards look wild, he grows stinging nettles with everything, comfrey and horseradish with the fruittrees plus a few more plants that I forgot. I paids attention and his plants looked healthy and had no bugs, leaves were glossy and green. Anyway, I don't think it is a dream that could not be made to work. Like I said, think of Austria and Switzerland, very prosperous, wonderful countries that donot have the resources that Ky or West Verginia have, but have lots and lots of steep hillsides. It can be done, and a dream is the starting point. you have to do things different, develop different visions.