Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
The last pie is in the oven. I'm in charge of taking pies to my husband's family's gathering. I've baked 5 to take. Two pumpkin, one pecan, and two "millionaire's" pies. The millionaire's pies are very rich (hence the name!). They are essentially a pecan pie with cocunut and chocolate added.

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
Hubby is cutting the veges and I'm going to do rolls...I gave him the choice of which he'd rather do. Then I will make the pie crust & refrigerate. Up early tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I don't do Thanksgiving dinners anymore- my MIL does it, in fact, we celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas at the in-laws.

But, I am baking a couple of pecan pies right now, and am getting ready to do a batch of sweet potato bon bons, which we will take with us tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
We are having dinner at my sister's house, but we are taking a lot of food with us. Today I am making rolls that I can just warm up before we go tomorrow. As I type, I have a jello salad setting up in the frig and my cranberry sauce is bubbling away on the stove. I still have two pies and a cheesecake like dessert to make today. Tonight, DH is going to make a cheese ball and artichoke dip for the predinner football watching snacking.

Tomorrow he is making roasted brussels sprouts and I am making a shoepeg corn and stuffing to take with us. I will also cook a small turkey (that is brining away as I type) to leave here at the house because when you eat at someone else's house you don't get leftover turkey for sandwiches.

I also have a small cornish hen for my 4 year old to cook. She does all the basting and prep. We do this together every year and she thinks it is so much fun. She plans to take it with her and preside over her own bird at the little kids table. Our family has had a child explosion lately, so maybe next year I should have her do a regular sized chicken instead of a game hen.

Looking at all I have to cook, I am wondering why I didn't just host the dinner! LOL

·
Registered
818 Posts
We are going to my daughters house and taking Hot Rolls and sweet potatoes. Her FIL is bringing mash potatoes and "Stove Top Stuffing" (can you believe that?) They don't like real stuffing. Oh well, at least I don't have to make all the rest..

I want to Wish everone on Homesteading Today a "Happy Thanksgiving"
I am so happy I found this site.. It makes my day.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I also have a small cornish hen for my 4 year old to cook. She does all the basting and prep. We do this together every year and she thinks it is so much fun. She plans to take it with her and preside over her own bird at the little kids table. Our family has had a child explosion lately, so maybe next year I should have her do a regular sized chicken instead of a game hen.
That is such a great idea for kids to get involved.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ok, got a small turkey breast in the oven and some sweet potatoes baking. I have a ham that will go in next. I am making pumpkin and sweet potato pies as well as pecan pies. I really need to be shelling pecans now.... :( instead of posting this but I needed a bit of a break. I have to make the green bean casserole and pineapple salad as well. I love Thanksgiving!

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
My wife is baking pies today.

Tomorrow morning, I'm locking the doors to the kitchen so that I can do manly things with the turkey.

·
Premium Member
21,536 Posts
I'm baking pies today and also making the scalloped oysters and heavenly hash which is a whipped cream, mashmallow, maraschino cherry and crushed pineapple dish that my husbands family always makes. I'll probably get the sweet potato casserole ready to go in the oven too and slide the turkey into the brine bucket before I go to bed.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
I just made a cherry pie - that's about it for me today.

I made a real good brunch for me and the kids - they've been kind of deprived of my home cooking lately. It's good to have them home and good to BE home, even if they're driving me nuts today. :)

Most of my focus is on house cleaning. We just got our carpets professionally cleaned for the first time ever, and wow it looks GREAT! But now I have to move everything back, whew.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
I'm gonna start cooking after lunch. First I am going to mail a bunch of packages to friends and family back home. Don't want to wait to do if after black friday. I avoid any store after that if I can.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I cooked the greens yesterday and made the cranberry gelatin mold. Ham is coming out of oven now and there are 2 pecan and 1 pumpkin in oven baking. The rest of the meal is being done by others, this was what I was told to bring. So basically I"m done.:banana02: tyusclan momma

·
Registered
12 Posts
A little later I'll be making the cornbread and biscuits for the stuffing.Then I'll make 7 layer cookies and brownies.Then I'll make the broccoli cornbread.The rest will have to be done tomorrow.Early morning:D

·
Registered
642 Posts
So far
1) tractor birthday cake - yet to be frosted
2) pumpkin pie
3) chocolate covered cherries
4) double decker fudge
5) broccoli cauliflower salad

tomorrow

1) turkey
2) rolls
3) mashed potatoes
4) gravy

goodness I hope I'm not forgetting anything

·
Registered
40 Posts
Today I'll need to make the pies, well pie rather (apple) I got lazy and bought the lemon meringue instead of making it, and chop the veggies. Skipping out on the rolls this year because I'm not feeling up to making them and my husband has pointed out that he'll eat his leftover turkey on sandwich bread anyway so why go through all the effort? Will probably make the Jello "salad" today as well.

Tomorrow: Turkey, mashed potatoes, put together veggie tray, cook some corn and put it all on the table...and done. Thanksgiving is really easy when you're only making it for two people :)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I have the bread ready & the eggs boiled for the dressing, a potato salad in the frig, & the ham ready to go in the oven in the morning. I just finished eating lunch. Now I am going to make a pecan pie, a pumpkin Pie and a mincemeat pie. I will make the dressing up and put it in the crock pot before I go to bed.

I may put the turkey in the oven before I go to bed too. That way all I will have to do tomorrow is cook the veggies and mac and cheese for the young ones.

I am doing all the cooking for our get together so I want to get as much out of the way today as I can. DD#3 said she is bringing a cake but sometimes she gets busy doing "whatever" and forgets to do what she intends. I am doing the pies just in case. LOL

Happy cooking everyone.

Jan

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Been cooking and luv'in it! :D
1- pumpkin pie
1- apple crumb pie
1- blueberry cobbler
1- pumpkin bread
batch of brownies

tomorrow;