Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dh has rather colorful speech when it comes to talkin vittles. Most of it he gets from his dad, a quiet, gentle man with a ready sense of humor. I'm sorry I never got to meet him, I think we'd have had a high time laughing and singing round the guitar on the porch of a evening.

For supper tonight we had a pasta and chicken salad. I made some breadsticks from a can. My dh said, "We having whop biscuits tonight?"
I'm wondering what in the world a whop biscuit could be when he starts telling a story about his dad. Seems his mom was a really exceptional cook till she went back to work and started buying canned bisuits. They were a good deal, you could get 10 cans for a dollar and they saved timed for a working woman.
DH tells about hearing the term whop bisuit for the first time. Said he and his dad were outside the kitchen finishing up a repair on the back steps when they heard the 'whop' of a can of biscuits hitting the cabinet edge. Father in law said, "Bud, you hear that? Momma's making them whop biscuits again. I tell you, son, many a good meal has been ruined with them whop biscuits."
Of course he said it quietly, you don't want to upset the cook, but she heard anyway, and he had to explain that he wasn't complaining, he just missed her good 'cathead biscuits.' That was a new term for me too.

Sunday always called for a meal that could be partly prepared ahead of time so to make time for church doings. DH says at his house it was roast that his momma could leave cooking on low during services or fried chicken. Since they raised their own food it was more often chicken. Dh says they had fried chicken so often on Sundays that his dad called it gospel bird.

Dh tells about helping his dad smoke sugar cure hams and how after days of work they'd bring one in and it would sit on the cabinet with just a dishcloth covering it. At mealtime MIL would slice off a nice thick slice and fry it up. No one worried about refridgerating it or it going bad. It sounded so good, I haven't had ham like that since I was a kid. I hope we can duplicate what he and his father did back then when start smoking meats.

Well, I've talked till I've made myself hungry. I'd best find a snack and make sure I take a gospel bird out of the freezer for lunch tommorrow.

Halo

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
We must be kin. Our family calls them whomp biscuits, from the sound of the can hitting the counter to open it. LOL. Gotta have that red eye gravy with that ham.

A

·
0 Posts
I thought everyone called them whop biscuits. Even the best of them though are only as good as a mediocre hand-thrown cathead biscuit. Old Jerry Clower used to have the funniest routine about cathead biscuits. Haven't heard it in years, but I still remember laughing about it.

Drop biscuits are what them furriners in far off parts make. Real biscuits are hand thrown! {laughing}

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! I've learned something today. I think 'cathead bisuits' must be what we called 'spoon biscuits' at our house, but to tell the truth I hand-throw them.

Furriners, huh? :)

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Ravenlost said:
Really? Never realized my hillbilly parents from north Alabama were furriners!
Depends. If they ain't kin (which they are in this case) or go to the same church/genral store/feed store/fishing hole then they may just be strangers. If they eat strange food, like foot-smellin cheese or parts of critters what ain't sposed to be eaten well then they're likely furriners. In any case your folks made biscuits, makes them ok by me. 'specailly if they served honey with them.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Smoked meats is not a lost are. You can buy it at severial places around here. No referagation nesercarly. When you smoke meats it is dry and hard . But it is the most tastly meat that you will put in your mouth. Most of the places sell ham bacon and prork chops.

·
Jhn Boy ina D Trump world
2,407 Posts
I'm sort of ashamed to say it, but my grandparents called sweet potatoes "poot roots, or music roots." Funny, but embarrasing!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Farmerwilly2 said:
Depends. If they ain't kin (which they are in this case) or go to the same church/genral store/feed store/fishing hole then they may just be strangers. If they eat strange food, like foot-smellin cheese or parts of critters what ain't sposed to be eaten well then they're likely furriners. In any case your folks made biscuits, makes them ok by me. 'specailly if they served honey with them.

My Mama made biscuits (not always drop biscuits, but never whop biscuits) every morning and served them with sorghum syrup, honey, muscadine jelly or whatever jelly she'd put up. She also made cornbread twice a day...for dinner and for supper. In the last 10 years or so of his life my Daddy WORKED at the feed store. They didn't like strange food like pizza or spaghetti either so I guess they ain't furriners!

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I just want to know HOW to make them there "cathead" biscuits. I have been accused of making them but alas I must confess........they came from the freezer. I just smile and pour the gravy in the bowl.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
You mix up your biscuit dough and, instead of rolling it out and cutting it, you just drop it by the spoonful onto the pan. They are usually bigger than cut biscuits and sometimes sprout little "ears" hence the name "cathead biscuits".

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Old Vet said:
Smoked meats is not a lost are. You can buy it at severial places around here. No referagation nesercarly. When you smoke meats it is dry and hard . But it is the most tastly meat that you will put in your mouth. Most of the places sell ham bacon and prork chops.
Old Vet - this is exactly what kind of 'cured' meat I'm talking about. Good eating!

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ravenlost said:
They didn't like strange food like pizza or spaghetti either so I guess they ain't furriners!
I remember the first time my granny ate pizza. I was 20 yrs old. Granny had heard of it but wouldn't go out to a restuarant - she thought she might make a fool of herself trying to eat some furrin food. So my sister and I made it for her at home. She loved it, and pretty soon we introduced her to all kinds of furrin things - like enchiladas and tacos. lol

A

·
0 Posts
Drop biscuits and spoon biscuits are made from a stickier dough and are dropped from a spoon.

Hand thrown cathead biscuits are a somewhat drier dough that is patted out by hand and get their name from the general size and shape that results from the forming process.

Generally speaking there's a bit of a difference in texture between the two, but not so much as you'd find between any type of biscuits and say a yeast roll.

My sister married a fellow from the Maryland Eastern Shore. They're good folks, but some of the things they eat are a bit peculiar. Beaten biscuits for one. Apparently they are beaten from rocks...

.....Alan {laughing}

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Alan its cathead biscuits for sure that I make.
Now about those 'beaten biscuits' I wonder if they are what dh calls 'packy biscuits'?

Halo

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Well obviously my first husband was an idiot. No wait, I KNOW he was (is). His mama was from south Mississippi and he told me that my mama's drop biscuits were the same as his mama's cathead biscuits.

Huh. Guess I'm gonna have to make some REAL cathead biscuits for breakfast tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts